Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
List of useful functions to be added.
(20-Oct-2015, 22:27)DSD Wrote: Put a friggin' DAC in it that can decode  DSD (like a US $3) change on the TI's
It already includes a DAC that can decode DSD. The problem with DSD is that they need to use DSP for getting the bass response of Phantom, and DSP can only be applied to PCM, hence, any DSD files will always have to be converted to PCM, unless you would like to listen to your DSD files with DSP disabled and no bass... Wink

From a quick look I took to the Expert line, they are supporting DSD by using a "special algorythm" to convert DSD to PCM, so, maybe one day we could also get that on Phantom... Wink
I was under the impression that phantom uses TI PCM1798 and if i'm reading the TI white paper right, then that does NOT support DSD :-(

A TI1795 which does support DSD and is only $0.33/1ku more would have been sensible IMHO

Expert uses TI PCM1792A which does support DSD of course

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes, you are right, I thought they were using the same DAC chip, my bad... I was wrong by one digit... Wink

I agree with you, but there is still the problem of the DSP for controlling Phantom bass units, so, I guess that's why they decided to not use a chip that could handle DSD... In addition to that, probably they also don't want to kill their Expert line, so, I guess we should not expect to get on Phantom everything they give on the Expert line...
A driver that makes the Dialog available as an Audio Output device. (I believe it might be called a WDM driver in Windows).

I've recently come to realise that the sound quality is a little better playing files through Spark rather than through the Dialog Optical input from JRiver Media Center.
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
Np yes grey not trying to trip you up. I see what you're saying with the DSP needing to be done in the PCM domain, although it would've been nice I think to at least transport a bitstream via DoP say from jriver to the dialog via USB before the decode in the phantom to PCM and then onto DSP...

(21-Oct-2015, 20:28)DSD Wrote: it would've been nice I think to at least transport a bitstream via DoP say from jriver to the dialog via USB before the decode in the phantom to PCM and then onto DSP...
but for that there is no need of a DSD capable DAC chip, it would be enough Spark or the Phantom being able to read the DSD file and convert it to PCM... I can understand that if you have some DSD files and you want to play them, even if they are converted to PCM in the process, like some other DACs do.
TI1798 (phantom) cannot process a DSD or DoP stream period....

I didn't know that it was the DAC chip who processed the DoP data... I thought that task was performed by another component...
Can someone explain what DSD and DoP do correctly? I mean, does it effect 24bit streaming? I only use my Phantom with Tidal and hopefully 24bit, when it comes and bluray movies.
Feature of adding an alarm please for bedroom