Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lyngdorf TDAI-3400 vs. Devialet Expert 220 Pro
(28-Apr-2019, 19:31)mobaer Wrote: Right. I think you get better sound for the money with the Hegel. And without knowing anything about the Hegel company, I dare to say, you’ll get better support than from Devialet ;-)

I don't know how you could make any judgement about support from a company that you know nothing about, or have any experience with. Hegel promises nothing in terms of upgrades of any sort and no development of any product; in that regard, you could not possibly be disappointed, because there is no commitment to any update or evolution of the product. Devialet has often overextended themselves in their advertising and often under-delivered updates and missed scheduled deliveries of software issues. But they also have set higher goals than most other companies. And yes, there have been some solid disappointments. But don't discount the solid and impressive accomplishments. That the Expert series eventually required a 'pay' upgrade is not unreasonable. Substantial hardware upgrades, renewed warranty, and dramatic improvements in sound quality and amplifier performance. And not upgrading did not leave you with a lesser amplifier. If it was good, it still is. The Hegel you may buy today will be replaced by their newer, better product in a few years and I doubt there will be any upgrade path other than selling it and buying the newer version.

I admit that I, personally, find Hegel electronics to be quite industrial sounding (I refrain from using the 'Clini...' word here, but it would be appropriate) when compared to Devialet amplifiers. But hey, whatever black box tempts you.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
Oh, my comment on the Hegel support wasn't meant serious. Did you notice the smiley?
I really do not know anything about the Hegel support. I haven't even heard anything about it.
But I know the Devialet support. What I am experiencing for more than seven weeks now is frustrating, to say the least. It hasn't always been that bad, but I heard, they have changed their support organization. So please see my comment against this background.

(29-Apr-2019, 01:14)Damon Wrote:
(28-Apr-2019, 19:31)mobaer Wrote: Right. I think you get better sound for the money with the Hegel. And without knowing anything about the Hegel company, I dare to say, you’ll get better support than from Devialet ;-)

I don't know how you could make any judgement about support from a company that you know nothing about, or have any experience with. Hegel promises nothing in terms of upgrades of any sort and no development of any product; in that regard, you could not possibly be disappointed, because there is no commitment to any update or evolution of the product. Devialet has often overextended themselves in their advertising and often under-delivered updates and missed scheduled deliveries of software issues. But they also have set higher goals than most other companies. And yes, there have been some solid disappointments. But don't discount the solid and impressive accomplishments. That the Expert series eventually required a 'pay' upgrade is not unreasonable. Substantial hardware upgrades, renewed warranty, and dramatic improvements in sound quality and amplifier performance. And not upgrading did not leave you with a lesser amplifier. If it was good, it still is. The Hegel you may buy today will be replaced by their newer, better product in a few years and I doubt there will be any upgrade path other than selling it and buying the newer version.

I admit that I, personally, find Hegel electronics to be quite industrial sounding (I refrain from using the 'Clini...' word here, but it would be appropriate) when compared to Devialet amplifiers. But hey, whatever black box tempts you.
Mac Mini - HQPlayer 4 - USB - D1000 - Gauder Akustik Cassiano
Isolated cables made from conductive material
When comparing the aesthetics of the Devialet and the Hegel, one is Jennifer Lopez the other is Ann Wiiddicombe ;-)

I know this post is so so politically incorrect these days , but ........
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(29-Apr-2019, 13:06)Womaz Wrote: When comparing the aesthetics of the Devialet and the Hegel, one is Jennifer Lopez the other is Ann Wiiddicombe ;-)

If you just look at the chassis! Big Grin Big Grin
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
(29-Apr-2019, 07:46)mobaer Wrote: Oh, my comment on the Hegel support wasn't meant serious. Did you notice the smiley?
I really do not know anything about the Hegel support. I haven't even heard anything about it.
But I know the Devialet support. What I am experiencing for more than seven weeks now is frustrating, to say the least. It hasn't always been that bad, but I heard, they have changed their support organization. So please see my comment against this background.

Sorry, missed the actual punctuation. Where was the big yellow thing that us old guy need? Reading and typing without glasses. My apologies for over-reacting.

I don't know your specific support issue, but on balance, my position is that the upgrade path has been really strong, and my experiences with support, while infrequent, have been good.

Just googlizied @Womaz 's references. I'll just bow out now....
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(29-Apr-2019, 13:06)Womaz Wrote: When comparing the aesthetics of the Devialet and the Hegel, one is Jennifer Lopez the other is Ann Wiiddicombe ;-)

Outrageous comment!  Are you saying that J Lo looks like a pair of bathroom scales, or maybe a chrome plated pizza box? Confused
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(29-Apr-2019, 21:20)Confused Wrote:

Outrageous comment!  Are you saying that J Lo looks like a pair of bathroom scales, or maybe a chrome plated pizza box? Confused

I have decided not to comment any further as to not draw attention to my male chauvinism ;-)
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
From my limited experience, most women desire some male chauvinism. They are just not as vocal as feminists.
Fanless HdPlex (HQPlayer) -> Merging Hapi -> Genelec 8351B
On a serious note and getting the thread back on track -Smile there have been a few occasions when I have considered moving away from Devialet as I was unhappy with their false promises etc, but it still sounds sublime to me. I have not had a lot of high end gear so it is always difficult for me to compare, but I guess i would love to hear the Hegel, Lyngdorf or Linn systems in my own home where I can judge properly. This unfortunately up here in Newcastle is not possible.
So yes I am always thinking about moving away but in all honesty if I decided to spend some cash I would probably go with the 220 Pro as its the safe option without being able to audition. I feel the addition of the Olympicas to the Devialet gives me the sound I love. At present though I listen through headphones more and more so it would probably make sense to spend the cash there if I was to do anything.
It all keeps this hobby interesting though.
Unless someone knows otherwise, there seems to be a hiatus of any positive news emanating from Devialet that would suggest that they have a credible development plan for their product ranges. Just about every day I have sone sort of information from the likes of Naim extolling the virtues of their much larger range of products that they somehow continue to develop and properly support.

And from Devialet - Nada! Perhaps they feel that the Expert Pro line has achieved Nirvana but maybe even a crumb such as dynamic online configuration instead of the annoying SD card would give us some faith in their development capabilities.
Devialet 1000 Pro CI, Chord Signature Reference speaker cables, B&W 803 D3 speakers

Roon lifetime licence, Tidal.