Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
MELCO
(02-Jun-2020, 16:11)K4680 Wrote:
(02-Jun-2020, 15:24)Fla7a Wrote:
(02-Jun-2020, 14:52)K4680 Wrote: Hi Franz, Clearly via the filtered player output of the Melco!  Yes, the Nucleus+ has an extra port on the switch.
The saved flacs sound better from the Melco than streamed via Qobus, Tidal ......
Yes, I have the same experience, that locally stored files on the Melco do sound better than streaming (i.e. Qobuz with BubbleUPnP).

So just to state my question a bit more precisely; doesn't the data always go through the Player Port from the Melco to the Devialet no matter if it comes directly from the Melco (UPnP) or from the Nucleus+?

Do you hear any difference between the two?

Gesendet von meinem moto g(7) plus mit Tapatalk

No matter whether Melco or songs played by Roon, they always come through the Melco port! Even so, saved songs from Melco sound clearer! I can't hear such big differences between Lan and Usb port. My perception !!

Port assignment on the Melco switch:
P1-Melco N10
P5-FritzBox
P6-Roon Nucleus +
P7-Linn Klimax DS
Ah, I see, thanks for your feedback.
And with locally stored files, do you hear a difference between listening with Roon or just listening with the Melco alone with a UPnP app?

Melco N1A - Devialet 440 Pro - B&W 802 D3
(02-Jun-2020, 18:06)Fla7a Wrote:
(02-Jun-2020, 16:11)K4680 Wrote:
(02-Jun-2020, 15:24)Fla7a Wrote: Yes, I have the same experience, that locally stored files on the Melco do sound better than streaming (i.e. Qobuz with BubbleUPnP).

So just to state my question a bit more precisely; doesn't the data always go through the Player Port from the Melco to the Devialet no matter if it comes directly from the Melco (UPnP) or from the Nucleus+?

Do you hear any difference between the two?

No matter whether Melco or songs played by Roon, they always come through the Melco port!  Even so, saved songs from Melco sound clearer!  I can't hear such big differences between Lan and Usb port.  My perception !!

P1-Melco N10
P5-FritzBox
P6-Roon Nucleus +
P7-Linn Klimax DS
And with locally stored files, do you hear a difference between listening with Roon or just listening with the Melco alone with a UPnP app?

No, with locally saved files no difference with Melco or Roon with ethernet connection!

Attached Files
.pdf   Netzwerk-Home.pdf (Size: 108.64 KB / Downloads: 25)
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
(02-Jun-2020, 18:13)K4680 Wrote:
(02-Jun-2020, 18:06)Fla7a Wrote:
(02-Jun-2020, 16:11)K4680 Wrote: No matter whether Melco or songs played by Roon, they always come through the Melco port!  Even so, saved songs from Melco sound clearer!  I can't hear such big differences between Lan and Usb port.  My perception !!

P1-Melco N10
P5-FritzBox
P6-Roon Nucleus +
P7-Linn Klimax DS

No, with locally saved files no difference with Melco or Roon with ethernet connection!

Ah alright, thank you!

(02-Jun-2020, 17:19)nicoludio Wrote: Interestingly, I find that playing files stored on a Synology NAS connected to the Melco via a switch sounds bigger, with better midrange body and harmonics, and a longer decay trail.

This is notwithstanding the Synology being handicapped by a lower quality LAN cable. The upside is that the Synology is connected by an audiophile power cord to a Plixir Elite BAC3000 power conditioner. Am waiting to try a Plixir LPS on the Synology.

Playing files direct from the Melco is possibly quieter, leaner sounding but with better extension on the highs. Could be the way that the frequency balance is tilted though.

This is despite skeptical me doing frequent A-B tests over many months.

I am using Synology 918+ NAS > non-audiophile Cat 7 LAN cable > Cisco > Supra Cat 7 LAN cable > Melco N1ZH/60 network port - player port > Sablon LAN cable > DAC.

I was pointed to this direction by SimonCN (the developer of MinimServer). He runs Melco N1A > fiber optic > Melco S100 switch > fiber optic > Melco N1ZS network port > USB cable > DAC, and says that this sounds better than playing the files direct from the N1ZS.

Planning to try fiber optic connections next.
Also interesting findings, thank you!
Will also try a similar setup with an external NAS.
But at least it seems plausible that the Melco does sound a bit better, when there is less electrical load like spinning hard drives.

Melco becomes Roon Ready!

FW Ver 4.04Beta [14th September, 2020]

[USB-DAC Local Player]
- Roon Ready Mode added.
  *MELCO won’t be "Roon core" or "Roon server" because Roon requires specific processor chipset for core.
- While MELCO is working as Roon Ready USB transport, MELCO won’t accept any playback requests from UPnP AV/OpenHome Controller App.
- To turn off Media Server is recommended when Roon Ready Mode. Roon Core manages all metadata.
- MELCO’s internal storage can be used as a source. All tracks will be sent to Roon Core once for processing and be sent back to MELCO to play.
- TIDAL/qobuz can be managed by Roon and play on MELCO.
- Customer can utilize the high quality volume control of Roon core by setting DSD playback mode as PCM.

Wink

https://www.melco-audio-masters.com/roon.html

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Germany / Bavaria
(14-Sep-2020, 16:25)K4680 Wrote: Melco becomes Roon Ready!

[USB-DAC Local Player]
- Roon Ready Mode added.
  *MELCO won’t be "Roon core" or "Roon server" because Roon requires specific processor chipset for core.
- While MELCO is working as Roon Ready USB transport, MELCO won’t accept any playback requests from UPnP AV/OpenHome Controller App.
- To turn off Media Server is recommended when Roon Ready Mode. Roon Core manages all metadata.
- MELCO’s internal storage can be used as a source. All tracks will be sent to Roon Core once for processing and be sent back to MELCO to play.
- Customer can utilize the high quality volume control of Roon core by setting DSD playback mode as PCM.

Wink

@K4680 

I am still very interested by a Melco unit but I am not still 100% convinced by the Roon ready part.
It is a huge step as many people d0 not want to use something else than Roon to select/play their music for obvious reasons.
Before the Roon Ready news, you could already store your music on the Melco and play it in the Roon Core but it could not been sent back to Melco I guess.

I am wondering if sending the data to Roon core back and forth will produce the same quality of sound than playing them directly on the Melco as it was up to today?
Will the Melco be more like a Roon bridge (SMS-200 for example) with data storage?

Let us know if you get a chance to compare the quality of the sound with or without Roon.

Thanks
PS Audio P3 - Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI - Tanagra Audio Iris - Micromega CD-30 - Roon - Mac Mini - Entreq Silver Minimus Apollo Eartha RCA - Shunyata Omega Ethernet - Dela S100/OP-S100
(15-Sep-2020, 07:05)philoouu Wrote:
(14-Sep-2020, 16:25)K4680 Wrote: Melco becomes Roon Ready!

[USB-DAC Local Player]
- Roon Ready Mode added.

Wink

@K4680 

I am still very interested by a Melco unit but I am not still 100% convinced by the Roon ready part.
It is a huge step as many people d0 not want to use something else than Roon to select/play their music for obvious reasons.
Before the Roon Ready news, you could already store your music on the Melco and play it in the Roon Core but it could not been sent back to Melco I guess.

I am wondering if sending the data to Roon core back and forth will produce the same quality of sound than playing them directly on the Melco as it was up to today?
Will the Melco be more like a Roon bridge (SMS-200 for example) with data storage?

Let us know if you get a chance to compare the quality of the sound with or without Roon.

Thanks

Hello philoouu, I've been using a Nucleus + with a Melco N10 as memory for the music files for about 1 year! I love the comfort and the information that ROON provides! In terms of sound, I can't really tell the difference between USB and LAN. Tonight I will install and test the new Melco FW 4.04!
Germany / Bavaria
Hello K4680
Did you test the new firmware ?
How did it go ?
Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PS Audio P3 - Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI - Tanagra Audio Iris - Micromega CD-30 - Roon - Mac Mini - Entreq Silver Minimus Apollo Eartha RCA - Shunyata Omega Ethernet - Dela S100/OP-S100
(17-Sep-2020, 03:15)philoouu Wrote: Hello K4680
Did you test the new firmware ?
How did it go ?
Thanks

Hi, FW 4.04 installed via USB update.  No problems, Roon is running.  Wink

A few more settings are required:

1. Please activate the Melco menu.
2. Go to the point "Settings" (menu point 4).
3. Go to the USB-DAC settings (menu item 6)
4. Then in the control modes (menu item 1).
5. Activate the "Roon Ready Mode" mode there (menu item 2).

To use the volume control via Roon, the output must be set to "PCM Mode only", since Roon can only change the volume of PCM signals (menu item 3).
https://3-h.de/wp-content/uploads/Print_...elease.pdf.

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

Germany / Bavaria
And the sound ? Any difference versus direct play without Roon?