Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.25 Average
MELCO
I read the following review
https://www.audiotherapyuk.com/2020/09/1...ugh-guide/
--------------------------------------
"The Roon ecosystem is essentially very processor intensive with the Core running 24/7 in the background and there is a lot more network traffic to contend with compared to the Melco playing in its traditional mode. When you select a piece of music to play via Roon that music is pulled from the Melco, sent to the Core, then sent back to the Melco before it is outputted to the DAC via USB, all in real time.

In its traditional mode the Melco receives the request to play a track from the control point and that is outputted to the DAC – the signal is not sent anywhere else and is a much simpler in essence"

"...the Melco with Kazoo/Minimserver did outperform Roon from a sonic perspective, the addition of an S100 does level the playing field quite easily so that is a serious option for those who want the very best performance and the very best interface."

Melco Server is becoming a Roon bridge and looks quite expensive for this particular use. Apparently adding an S100 allows to get back the original quality (Minimserver).
I guess, to really make sense, Melco should run Roon core on the server which apparently is not possible. As Roon is getting more and more "unavoidable" Melco had to get Roon on its system, even if it does not perform as well as their own native solution.
PS Audio P3 - Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI - Tanagra Audio Iris - Micromega CD-30 - Roon - Mac Mini - Entreq Silver Minimus Apollo Eartha RCA - Shunyata Omega Ethernet - Dela S100/OP-S100
(18-Oct-2020, 06:47)philoouu Wrote: I read the following review
"The Roon ecosystem is essentially very processor intensive with the Core running 24/7 in the background and there is a lot more network traffic to contend with compared to the Melco playing in its traditional mode. When you select a piece of music to play via Roon that music is pulled from the Melco, sent to the Core, then sent back to the Melco before it is outputted to the DAC via USB, all in real time.

In its traditional mode the Melco receives the request to play a track from the control point and that is outputted to the DAC – the signal is not sent anywhere else and is a much simpler in essence"

"...the Melco with Kazoo/Minimserver did outperform Roon from a sonic perspective, the addition of an S100 does level the playing field quite easily so that is a serious option for those who want the very best performance and the very best interface."

Melco Server is becoming a Roon bridge and looks quite expensive for this particular use. Apparently adding an S100 allows to get back the original quality (Minimserver).
I guess, to really make sense, Melco should run Roon core on the server which apparently is not possible. As Roon is getting more and more "unavoidable" Melco had to get Roon on its system, even if it does not perform as well as their own native solution.

Hello, since I also use Melco N10 and S100, I cannot entirely agree with the tester's experience! I'll remove the S100, and then test it with ROON and UPNP, excited to see what I can hear! Wink
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
MELCO Music HD

New version for ios V 1.6

New API of TIDAL implemented. This Update is mandatory to play TIDAL TRACKS.
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Germany / Bavaria
(18-Oct-2020, 10:08)K4680 Wrote:

Hello, since I also use Melco N10 and S100, I cannot entirely agree with the tester's experience! I'll remove the S100, and then test it with ROON and UPNP, excited to see what I can hear! Wink

Did you make some test regarding Melco with Roon versus Melco without Roon ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PS Audio P3 - Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI - Tanagra Audio Iris - Micromega CD-30 - Roon - Mac Mini - Entreq Silver Minimus Apollo Eartha RCA - Shunyata Omega Ethernet - Dela S100/OP-S100
(31-Oct-2020, 08:18)philoouu Wrote:
(18-Oct-2020, 10:08)K4680 Wrote:

Hello, since I also use Melco N10 and S100, I cannot entirely agree with the tester's experience!  I'll remove the S100, and then test it with ROON and UPNP, excited to see what I can hear! Wink

Did you make some test regarding Melco with Roon versus Melco without Roon ?

Hello, not yet! I planned it for the coming week, because nothing else is due! Wink
Germany / Bavaria
Heard a rumor that Melco was releasing a new product with 10 TB's of storage.

Has anyone else heard something similar? Can't find anything on the Melco site which confirms...
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
Would be nice if they could come out with a real Roon server rather than an optimized NAS that can be used with RAAT. Would make much more sense to buy their products.
I think Melco maybe shaking things up in March with a possible new release, however I have not heard from anyone I am allowed to quote.
March, this is very soon...
May be I should wait before buying a server as they may come up with something very nice.
Hopefully they can produce a real Roon server with the same quality of their current NAS optimized server.

The new Melco FW 4.10 is now available for download!

https://www.melco-audio.com/downloads/

FW Ver 4.10 [25th February, 2021]

USB-DAC Local Player]
- Roon Ready Mode added as a Controller Mode.
*MELCO won’t be "Roon core" or "Roon server" because Roon requires specific processor chipset for core.
*While MELCO is working as Roon Ready USB transport, MELCO won’t accept any playback requests from UPnP AV/OpenHome Controller App.

- Devices added for MELCO marker-less DSD
Marantz SACD30
SONY SA-Z1
Lyric Nmode X-DP7

[Media Server]
- Roon Ready Mode, suggest to turn off the Media Servers
- Twonky Stability Improvement

[Screen Saver]
- Screen will be dimmed after 30 minutes of idle state
(home screen, no LAN connection, no usb-dac)

[Network]
- PLAYER port can be set to OFF (N1A/N1Z)
- OFF state improvement (N10/N100)

[Web Remote]
- Stability Improvement

[PC Incompatible Character Fix]
- Added new case to fix

[Language table]
- Improved Germany/French Table
Germany / Bavaria