Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Major Roon Changes - Devialet Impact?
(10-Sep-2020, 19:24)ismarketing Wrote: Thanks - a good sign.  I hooked by 120 back up and did not see a pink banner.  Encouraging, but waiting for confirmation from Devialet.

A while back, a few folk were suggesting that Roon ‘de-certify’ the Expert Pro CI models due to the known bug in the Gigabit network connection. I for one am now very glad that did not happen!  Big Grin
NUC i5/ROCK/Roon Lifetime =>  Original d'Atelier CoreInfinity #066 => Transparent MusicWave+ =>Wilson Sophia 3
Summing up:

Expert Pro are RAAT certified and therefore not affected.

Non Pro's are not RAAT certified and never will but thy do work over Roon's version of AIR so they will also not be affected.

Conclusion; nobody is affected. Now, go back to listening to music.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(10-Sep-2020, 19:35)NekoAudio Wrote: The Devialet product line is unaffected. They are certified Roon Ready and listed on Roon's website as such. Likewise you do not see the pink label in the Roon configuration UI.

This is not quite true. Not all Devialet's are Roon Ready The Expert Pro product line are certified as Roon Ready, the Expert line are not but the Expert line are Roon Tested (see the screen shot in @KraaijCheck''s post #12 above. I don't know how earlier models such as the original D Premier appear in Roon.

If you have an Expert Pro model, it's Roon Ready and nothing changes. If you have an earlier model that Roon connects to via  AIR then it's covered by the note at the bottom of the announcement which says:

"This [b]does not affect non Roon Ready devices like USB DACs, Roon Tested devices, Airplay, Sonos, etc.[/b] These devices will continue to be supported. If your device does not specifically say [b]Uncertified[/b] on the audio settings screen, it will not be affected."

As @Pim said in his post #12 above, Devialet users are unaffected. non-Expert Pro devices connecting via AIR are either Roon Tested or they're going to fall into the "Airplay, Sonos, etc" group of devices because AIR compatibility is not changing.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
In case you do have a Roon uncertified piece of equipment:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/a-fix-f...ces/120426
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Got this last night from Devialet support - very relieved to read:

"in any case, it is not affecting our product line, past or current. Everything stays the same for now."
(10-Sep-2020, 14:49)Pim Wrote: I read it and understood it the same way as @thumb5  says. No issues for Devialet owners. Proceed as normal. (e.g. 'an audio file is....'  Tongue )

I jus'  Heart  this part of @Pim's post ...  Tongue ... quite a many Dev Expert-Pro CI users will know what that is ...
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
This Roon announcement worries me. I just checked my record, I paid $7,654 in 2017 for the Core Infinity upgrade, promising a "platform" for endless exciting updates to ensure future proofing.

Right after taking our money it's been 3 years of silence. if it is not clear by now that that Devialet has abandoned the Expert platform in favour of lifestyle products for the riches we must be blind.

Their behaviour borders on fraud. I am surprised no one suggest a class action.

Will my Devialet continues to work with Roon's future developments? I am not so sure.
Kondo Overture PM-2i, Weiss DAC502, LP12 Haben, Aro, Keel, Radikal, Urika, EMT JSD6, Phasemation PP-300/T-300, Linn Krystal, Penaudio Serenade Signature

Kondo Operia SPs 2.7, KSL-VzII, Acz-Avocado, etc.

(12-Sep-2020, 03:56)agentsmith Wrote: This Roon announcement worries me.  I just checked my record, I paid $7,654 in 2017 for the Core Infinity upgrade, promising a "platform" for endless exciting updates to ensure future proofing.

Right after taking our money it's been 3 years of silence.  if it is not clear by now that that Devialet has abandoned the Expert platform in favour of lifestyle products for the riches we must be blind.

Their behaviour borders on fraud.  I am surprised no one suggest a class action.

Will my Devialet continues to work with Roon's future developments?  I am not so sure.

You have a Devialet with the CI board. I don't know what you're running Roon on but I'd guess that you can connect your Devialet to that device in at least 3 ways at present: as a Roon Ready endpoint using either ethernet or wifi, as a Roon Tested endpoint using Roon's implementation of Devialet AIR over ethernet or wifi, and also via USB. You may have other options as well. As a worst case scenario, if Devialet stop supporting Roon then you can still connect via USB because that does not depend on a network connection with Roon. I also doubt Roon will abandon supporting USB connections.

There's no sign of anything happening in the near future which would prevent your amp continuing to work with Roon. I wouldn't start worrying until you actually start seeing warning signs and this announcement from Roon about uncertified Roon Ready devices is not such a sign. Your amp is not an uncertified Roon Ready device so this announcement does not affect it and, in any case, and you have at least 2 ways of connecting to Roon that don't even require it to be Roon Ready, by AIR over your network or by USB.

Plus how long into the future are you worried about? I've had my Devialet for 3 and a half years but I had 2 amps in the previous 20 or so years, each for roughly 10 years. If history is a guide then I'll probably be using a different amp some time around 2026/27, whether that is another Devialet or not is another matter, but at the very least I can't see anything preventing me from using Roon via a USB connection in the next 6 or 7 years.

Finally take a look at the history of both Roon and Devialet when it comes to updates, problems, and customer support. What history suggests is that if we do run into a problem it won't be a Roon problem, it will be a Devialet problem because Roon customer support on the software front is far superior to Devialet's. If you're worried about Roon when it comes to software development, you're worrying about the wrong company in my view.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I understand my Devialet is still supported by Roon RIAA for the foreseeable future and of course any DAC can connect to Roon via USB.

I am concerned about Devialet's promise of the future by way of a CI platform upgrade, asking for thousands of dollars from us and almost immediately drop the whole platform.

If this was a normal DAC/Amp without promises and selling us more future with upgrade money no one would complain.

Many of us let go of almost $8K for the upgrade after 10's of thousands investment for fear of being "left out", and that is exactly what they have done.

Roon is just one example, I actually don't need Devialet for Roon support, my dCS network bridge will be well supported by dCS for a long time. My prior experience with their Debussy DAC was the best ever, they kept updating the Debussy for almost a decade, offering a hardware upgrade from 24/96 to 24/192 and DSD for $1xx USD, with the dealer coming to my home to install the board.

I know the argument of "the amp still plays and makes the same music" argument, but we expect more because we paid more specifically to get more.
Kondo Overture PM-2i, Weiss DAC502, LP12 Haben, Aro, Keel, Radikal, Urika, EMT JSD6, Phasemation PP-300/T-300, Linn Krystal, Penaudio Serenade Signature

And, yes I agree David A that Roon support is like a breath of fresh air.

I reported a problem once with a update, they issued a new version within 30 minutes!