Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Major Roon Changes - Devialet Impact?
(13-Sep-2020, 15:33)Pim Wrote: Come to think of it, apart from Bluetooth, what else isn't working on the CI board that was promised?

Native Qobuz
Roon Rock, Devialet 220 pro CI, Palmer 2.5 Turntable, AT OC9MLii, Classic Audio MC Pro Phono and Harbeth SHL5 Plus
(13-Sep-2020, 15:59)disarmamant Wrote:
(13-Sep-2020, 15:33)Pim Wrote: Come to think of it, apart from Bluetooth, what else isn't working on the CI board that was promised?

Native Qobuz

Was that on their site? It's not now. I vaguely remember Tidal was one of them too.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(13-Sep-2020, 16:10)Pim Wrote:

Native Qobuz

Was that on their site? It's not now. I vaguely remember Tidal was one of them too.

What about a decent working app? An app that allows me to control the D while sitting in my chair and not having to walk across to the D to see how often I’ve pressed a button on the RC and what it is I’ve actually done.
Devialet 250, PS Audio Transport - PS Audio P5 - Aurender N100H- Thorens TD160MkII - Restek MTUN+, Eternal Arts TTP, TAD ME1
I agree. It can''t be that hard :/
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

(13-Sep-2020, 14:38)Pim Wrote: I feel sorry for Devialet a bit. Roon RAAT was never part of their road map when they developed the CI board. They only added it because Roon was so popular and people started hassling Devialet for its implementation. Now their CI board is compared with Salmonella and shattering alloy wheels. What's next? CI stands for Corona Infested?

I beg to differ, I recall Roon was working halfway with a lot of problems before CI, and I am quite sure part of the incentive for upgrading to CI was Roon readiness.  

But Roon was not the only reason, it was the promise of a whole new upgradable "platform".  it is about promise of a future.  Which we have seen any indication of such since the upgrade.
Kondo Overture PM-2i, Weiss DAC502, LP12 Haben, Aro, Keel, Radikal, Urika, EMT JSD6, Phasemation PP-300/T-300, Linn Krystal, Penaudio Serenade Signature

Kondo Operia SPs 2.7, KSL-VzII, Acz-Avocado, etc.

(13-Sep-2020, 14:38)Pim Wrote: I feel sorry for Devialet a bit. Roon RAAT was never part of their road map when they developed the CI board. They only added it because Roon was so popular and people started hassling Devialet for its implementation. Now their CI board is compared with Salmonella and shattering alloy wheels. What's next? CI stands for Corona Infested?

If anything, I feel sorry for all those "invested" in the Devialet platform.  My total investment in local currency can get me a heirloom grade Kondo or Dartzeel amp.

I was one of the early adopter starting from 200, when the Euro was at its peak.  Upgraded to D400 and then Expert Pro 440.  Now the resale value has dropped to around the same cost as just the CI upgrade.
Kondo Overture PM-2i, Weiss DAC502, LP12 Haben, Aro, Keel, Radikal, Urika, EMT JSD6, Phasemation PP-300/T-300, Linn Krystal, Penaudio Serenade Signature

Kondo Operia SPs 2.7, KSL-VzII, Acz-Avocado, etc.

(13-Sep-2020, 16:10)Pim Wrote:

Native Qobuz

I still have an old email message from Devialet that was sent on 13th July 2017. Here we can see Qobuz, Tidal, Deezer, Bluetooth, and Webradios mentioned.

[Image: CoreInfinity%2013%20Jul%202017.PNG?dl=1]
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
All you have to do is update your system... Dooh!
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
(13-Sep-2020, 10:17)Confused Wrote:
(12-Sep-2020, 21:43)Greg Wrote: It’s important to remember that most of us here did not have to pay for the C/I board upgrade. If you remember, at the time the Pro upgrade became available, Devialet offered it at a price, but stated, within a time envelope, a further upgrade to C/I would be delivered for free. There are several of us here who took advantage of that offer, so the only people who should be complaining here for breach of contract are those who, after the initial offer stopped, paid the full amount for Pro/Core Infinity upgrade or the C/I upgrade alone. The rest of us got a potential deal which to date has come to very little, but as it was not charged to us, we have no grounds for complaint apart from a generalised moan about Devialet not keeping to their word, and frankly, that is very old and well smelt horse shit.

Move along. Nothing to see or smell here!

Actually, from a legal and moral perspective this is completely wrong.  If something is given to you for free, that is one thing, but in this case something is offered for free as an incentive to get a sale for a very expensive item.  This is certainly the case for the CI board, I am sure that there are many for whom the offer of a "free" CI board was just enough to make the difference between deciding to buy or not buy the Pro upgrade itself.   It is a bit like buying two pies with a "buy one get one free" offer, one is fine, but the second one gives you salmonella poisoning and nearly kills you.  If you contact the company who manufactured the pie and they say, "sod off, it was free", you might think that was a little unreasonable.  Consider a car offered with "free" alloy wheels, when the wheels shatter, killing you and your passengers, some might think it would be poor form if the car manufacturer claimed this was fine because the wheels were "free".

The test of if something is free is if you can still get it for free without buying the upgrade, other pie, car, or whatever else.  If the answer to this is "no", then it is not free, it is a commercial incentive.  

Plus, if you offered truly free pies and they ended up poisoning people, or free wheels that shattered, you would still get into a lot trouble in most jurisdictions.

Offering something as an incentive for "free" at a later date, which ultimately does not match the original promise, is basically fraud.

Whether someone thinks the CI board has fulfilled its original promise or not, and indeed if the said individual wishes to complain about it on line or not, is an entirely different matter, but this does not change the fact that in reality the CI board was not "free" for anyone.
Ha, I see what you did there  Tongue 

No, I am not wrong. What I have said stands. What you have said is a different issue, and personally (apart from some concern around the logic of your examples), I concur with the premis of what you have said.
Qobuz, roon RAAT, Audiostore Prestige XL Optical, Synology NAS. Devialet Expert 250 Pro C/I. World Audio Design (DIY) KLS3 MkIII speakers, upgraded crossover and SEAS T25CF002 Millennium tweeters. Ethernet. Blue Jeans (Belden 5000) 10 gauge 5T00UP speaker cable.

Native Qobuz

On the other hand the integration of Quobuz in Roon with the Devialet works amazingly well.

When I play a local album stored in my own catalog:
- there is to the right a set of automatic recommendations from he Quobuz streaming displayed to the right
- at the bottom of the page there is easy access to the full list of Quobuz streaming albums from the same artist, including albums he/she did collaborate to, with the display of the file bit depth and also a star rating based on some reviews of the album. This is just amazingly useful to identify at a glance which of the many albums are likely to be the best
- the Quobuz radio that kicks in automatically at the end of the replay of the selected albums queries the full online Quobuz catalog and streams automatically the best possible recommendation of artists/albums I may like based on my history of replays... and most of the time it makes for amazing finds

When I do a search in Roon, the full Quobuz catalog is searched together with my local library and both sets of results are displayed separately to make it easy to prioritize local replay that may be of higher quality than remote streaming.

Honestly, a native Quobuz replay with the Devialet is very unlikely to come close to this level of perfection through Roon.

Cheers,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1