Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Major Roon Changes - Devialet Impact?
(12-Sep-2020, 10:00)agentsmith Wrote: I understand my Devialet is still supported by Roon RIAA for the foreseeable future and of course any DAC can connect to Roon via USB.

I am concerned about Devialet's promise of the future by way of a CI platform upgrade, asking for thousands of dollars from us and almost immediately drop the whole platform.

If this was a normal DAC/Amp without promises and selling us more future with upgrade money no one would complain.

Many of us let go of almost $8K for the upgrade after 10's of thousands investment for fear of being "left out", and that is exactly what they have done.

Roon is just one example, I actually don't need Devialet for Roon support, my dCS network bridge will be well supported by dCS for a long time.  My prior experience with their Debussy DAC was the best ever, they kept updating the Debussy for almost a decade, offering a hardware upgrade from 24/96 to 24/192 and DSD for $1xx USD, with the dealer coming to my home to install the board.

I know the argument of "the amp still plays and makes the same music" argument, but we expect more because we paid more specifically to get more.

What are the key improvements you would like Devialet to deliver?

Cheers,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1
It’s important to remember that most of us here did not have to pay for the C/I board upgrade. If you remember, at the time the Pro upgrade became available, Devialet offered it at a price, but stated, within a time envelope, a further upgrade to C/I would be delivered for free. There are several of us here who took advantage of that offer, so the only people who should be complaining here for breach of contract are those who, after the initial offer stopped, paid the full amount for Pro/Core Infinity upgrade or the C/I upgrade alone. The rest of us got a potential deal which to date has come to very little, but as it was not charged to us, we have no grounds for complaint apart from a generalised moan about Devialet not keeping to their word, and frankly, that is very old and well smelt horse shit.

Move along. Nothing to see or smell here!
Qobuz, roon RAAT, Audiostore Prestige XL Optical, Synology NAS. Devialet Expert 250 Pro C/I. World Audio Design (DIY) KLS3 MkIII speakers, upgraded crossover and SEAS T25CF002 Millennium tweeters. Ethernet. Blue Jeans (Belden 5000) 10 gauge 5T00UP speaker cable.
(12-Sep-2020, 21:43)Greg Wrote: It’s important to remember that most of us here did not have to pay for the C/I board upgrade. If you remember, at the time the Pro upgrade became available, Devialet offered it at a price, but stated, within a time envelope, a further upgrade to C/I would be delivered for free. There are several of us here who took advantage of that offer, so the only people who should be complaining here for breach of contract are those who, after the initial offer stopped, paid the full amount for Pro/Core Infinity upgrade or the C/I upgrade alone. The rest of us got a potential deal which to date has come to very little, but as it was not charged to us, we have no grounds for complaint apart from a generalised moan about Devialet not keeping to their word, and frankly, that is very old and well smelt horse shit.

Agree.
Mac mini with Roon, Devialet 220 Pro CI, Black Sixteen speaker cables, Sonus Faber Guarneri Tradition and a pair of ears.
Apologies for the outburst. Perhaps partially caused by realizing the TCO when going over old invoices. I bought at the peak of the Euro.

Let's all enjoy what we have which is still amongst the best out there.
Kondo Overture PM-2i, Weiss DAC502, LP12 Haben, Aro, Keel, Radikal, Urika, EMT JSD6, Phasemation PP-300/T-300, Linn Krystal, Penaudio Serenade Signature

Kondo Operia SPs 2.7, KSL-VzII, Acz-Avocado, etc.

(12-Sep-2020, 21:43)Greg Wrote: It’s important to remember that most of us here did not have to pay for the C/I board upgrade. If you remember, at the time the Pro upgrade became available, Devialet offered it at a price, but stated, within a time envelope, a further upgrade to C/I would be delivered for free. There are several of us here who took advantage of that offer, so the only people who should be complaining here for breach of contract are those who, after the initial offer stopped, paid the full amount for Pro/Core Infinity upgrade or the C/I upgrade alone. The rest of us got a potential deal which to date has come to very little, but as it was not charged to us, we have no grounds for complaint apart from a generalised moan about Devialet not keeping to their word, and frankly, that is very old and well smelt horse shit.

Actually, from a legal and moral perspective this is completely wrong.  If something is given to you for free, that is one thing, but in this case something is offered for free as an incentive to get a sale for a very expensive item.  This is certainly the case for the CI board, I am sure that there are many for whom the offer of a "free" CI board was just enough to make the difference between deciding to buy or not buy the Pro upgrade itself.   It is a bit like buying two pies with a "buy one get one free" offer, one is fine, but the second one gives you salmonella poisoning and nearly kills you.  If you contact the company who manufactured the pie and they say, "sod off, it was free", you might think that was a little unreasonable.  Consider a car offered with "free" alloy wheels, when the wheels shatter, killing you and your passengers, some might think it would be poor form if the car manufacturer claimed this was fine because the wheels were "free".

The test of if something is free is if you can still get it for free without buying the upgrade, other pie, car, or whatever else.  If the answer to this is "no", then it is not free, it is a commercial incentive.  

Plus, if you offered truly free pies and they ended up poisoning people, or free wheels that shattered, you would still get into a lot trouble in most jurisdictions.

Offering something as an incentive for "free" at a later date, which ultimately does not match the original promise, is basically fraud.

Whether someone thinks the CI board has fulfilled its original promise or not, and indeed if the said individual wishes to complain about it on line or not, is an entirely different matter, but this does not change the fact that in reality the CI board was not "free" for anyone.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Hi Confused  - I’m not sure I fully understand your reasoning. I believe that most people were happy with the improvements brought about by the paid Pro upgrade. The fact that the CI update has not (yet) delivered most of the hinted-at additional functionality is indeed a disappointment, but it certainly doesn’t poison or shatter anything Smile
NUC i5/ROCK/Roon Lifetime =>  Original d'Atelier CoreInfinity #066 => Transparent MusicWave+ =>Wilson Sophia 3
Here's the fix for the Roon Ready products that's actually not Roon Ready.
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/a-fix-f...ces/120426
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
I feel sorry for Devialet a bit. Roon RAAT was never part of their road map when they developed the CI board. They only added it because Roon was so popular and people started hassling Devialet for its implementation. Now their CI board is compared with Salmonella and shattering alloy wheels. What's next? CI stands for Corona Infested?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
My point was simply that the CI Board was not free, after all there is no way of getting one without paying a few thousand for a new Pro or an upgrade. That is all. Indeed, the current price for a Pro upgrade including CI is no more money than the price for the original Pro upgrade with “free” CI.

As it happens, I rather like the CI board, very handy for running AirPlay from an iPad for example, which is much better than a dose of salmonella.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
I got your point. Just thought you had a funny (literally) way of putting it across. I never thought of the CI board as free. It was part of the upgrade. The 'free' part was probably because it was the second part of the upgrade which was done at no extra cost.

BTW, Airplay is handy and so can Spotify connect if you use it. Come to think of it, apart from Bluetooth, what else isn't working on the CI board that was promised?
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.