Poll: Does Devialet Chat need more moderation?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Yes
11.76%
6 11.76%
No
88.24%
45 88.24%
Total 51 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Moderation poll
Well, perhaps slightly to my own surprise, I've also voted no.  Similar thinking to Pim and others: I realised that the forum doesn't need more moderation as such.

Although I might prefer there to be a bit more order and "sticking to the point" in the threads, the fact that DC doesn't always (or even usually!) work like that reflects the combination of personalities of everyone who posts here.  And it is undoubtedly part of the charm and character of the forum.  I would not want to lose that friendly and approachable -- dare I say laissez-faire -- nature just for the sake of making things easier to follow.

This is a good opportunity to thank Guillaume and Rufus particularly for making this such a nice place to spend time.  Your work in setting up and running the forum behind the scenes is much appreciated here.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(17-Jul-2017, 16:20)IanG-UK Wrote: I refrained from asking this but cannot really resist ... Jean-Marie, in your photograph you bear a resemblance to the other Devialet Calmel but maybe that name is fairly common in France?

This from a Yorkshireman where we are known as being insular and blunt!

Well, the resemblance in the photograph as well as the name is not fortuitous since 'the other Devialet Calmel', Pierre-Emmanuel Calmel, is my brother.

Now I have to give the mandatory disclaimer  Tongue : My only relationship / affiliation with Devialet is to be owning one like most of us here. Yes, being an engineer and music buff, I have discussed countless times with my brother about the internals and working of the systems, but we always had an agreement that I did not want to know anything that would not, could not be publicly disclosed. 

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(17-Jul-2017, 18:55)Jean-Marie Wrote:
(17-Jul-2017, 16:20)IanG-UK Wrote: I refrained from asking this but cannot really resist ... Jean-Marie, in your photograph you bear a resemblance to the other Devialet Calmel but maybe that name is fairly common in France?

Well, the resemblance in the photograph as well as the name is not fortuitous since 'the other Devialet Calmel', Pierre-Emmanuel Calmel, is my brother.

Now I have to give the mandatory disclaimer  Tongue : My only relationship / affiliation with Devialet is to be owning one like most of us here. Yes, being an engineer and music buff, I have discussed countless times with my brother about the internals and working of the systems, but we always had an agreement that I did not want to know anything that would not, could not be publicly disclosed. 

Jean-Marie
You´re brave or nuts, Jean-Marie!
How could you reveal such thing?
From now on you´re marked... 
(obviously kidding... Big Grin )
(17-Jul-2017, 19:03)BoyScout Wrote:
(17-Jul-2017, 18:55)Jean-Marie Wrote:

Jean-Marie
Well probably a bit of both  Angel 

I did not see the point of lying since I'm not hiding, however I hope to be able to continue to enjoy and participate to this great forum like before (there is a reason why this is the only one I participate to)

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
(17-Jul-2017, 19:19)Jean-Marie Wrote:
(17-Jul-2017, 19:03)BoyScout Wrote:
(17-Jul-2017, 18:55)Jean-Marie Wrote: Well, the resemblance in the photograph as well as the name is not fortuitous since 'the other Devialet Calmel', Pierre-Emmanuel Calmel, is my brother.

Jean-Marie
Well probably a bit of both  Angel 

I did not see the point of lying since I'm not hiding, however I hope to be able to continue to enjoy and participate to this great forum like before (there is a reason why this is the only one I participate to)

Jean-Marie

Good point, Jean-Marie.
It´s a pleasure to be with you here, no family matters.
Voted no because I think you've a nice flow on a great forum! Thanks for making this a reality.
Splendid to have you here Jean-Marie.

As is touched on elsewhere in this thread, you should always get a fair and unprejudiced hearing here, whether you are the boss's brother (like you) or related to royalty (like me)*.

And as you infer, the best way is to have no inside information.

* I gather we all are, if you trace back over many generations - apart from that I am unconnected, to royalty, politicians or the press, thankfully.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
I have just performed a quick check on the rules and posting guidelines for this forum. Mindful that this forum is generally a very civil and troll free place, I was a little surprised that there are not really any official rules or guidelines at all.

OK, that is not quite true, there are some specific rules for the 'for sale' section, and also some for dealers / trade and advertising, but for general posting, no rules or guidelines are readily apparent.

I did find this, which appears to be very relevant to the recent debates regarding on topic posting, moderation etc.:

https://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?tid=3148

In the above thread there is even a set off rules / posting guidelines 'borrowed' from another forum by Antoine.

I am thinking aloud a little bit here, so this is open to debate and discussion, but what I am thinking that considering just how good this forum has been over the years, and considering it is effectively a rules free zone (almost), it actually does not need much in the way of moderation. To make things a little better, perhaps we could extract some very basic 'light touch' posting guidelines from the thread above, and place this as a 'sticky' in the Information, Rules & FAQ section. This could cover the 'big stuff', like racial abuse, general abuse, trolling, anything illegal, and so on. Plus, it could include some very basic posing guidelines, which I think could be a lot shorter and simpler than the example list provides by Antoine per the link above. With this in place, no additional moderation as such would be required, but it would allow public spirited forum members to occasionally point itinerant posters towards the 'official' guidelines.

As I say, just a few thoughts from me and of course everything here is open to discussion and debate.

One final thought, and lets be honest, forums of this type will always be slightly organic and chaotic. The irony should be lost on nobody that a thread is opened to discuss moderation and it very soon drifts off topic into discussions of the Calmel family resemblances. I think this just goes to show that the guidelines need to be 'light touch', sometimes the off topic stuff can be amongst the very best material on the forum. As a final thought on the off topic subject matter, whilst I can see the Calmel family resemblance, I do remain a little puzzled as to why our much loved Jean-Marie is just so much more handsome and intelligent looking than his brother?

(Confused sets a cunning trap here, to see if Pierre-Emmanuel ever checks in and reads this forum)
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
I cannot vote right now (on my iPhone through Tapatalk there's no chance) but, as others said, I don't think the forum *needs* more moderation. It's been a very polite and positive place to many people, who usually pick up the vibe quickly and just maintain the philosophy. In that sense, Rufus and Guillaume cannot be thanked enough.

Thanks, keep enjoying!

L

PS: Jean Marie, I understand the situation might make you uncomfortable, but I think up to now you have managed perfectly well, and we all want it things to continue as they are. Thanks for your honesty, I value it highly and would have done the same thing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
(17-Jul-2017, 21:28)Confused Wrote: One final thought, and lets be honest, forums of this type will always be slightly organic and chaotic.  The irony should be lost on nobody that a thread is opened to discuss moderation and it very soon drifts off topic into discussions of the Calmel family resemblances.  I think this just goes to show that the guidelines need to be 'light touch', sometimes the off topic stuff can be amongst the very best material on the forum.  

Talking about drifting off topic. When I used to have all my CD's stacked 30-40 high on the floor in no particular order I would always find something more exiting to play than what I was initially looking for. That makes for a fun night of music. So maybe we should throw a bit more chaos into the Chat just to increase the fun level. Huh 

Sorry for going even more off topic  Rolleyes
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.