Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Munich 2018
(14-Jun-2018, 07:17)Confused Wrote: As we know, this thread has drifted fractionally off topic from time to time.  Anyway, I stumbled across Hifi Pig's latest offering the other day, a summary of the Munich 2018 show.  What can I say?  This has to be the finest selection of hifi show photographs that I have ever seen compiled in one place.  Genuinely good stuff.  So what is your favorite piece of kit?  I'm still trying to decide.  Take a look and enjoy!

http://hifipig.com/wp-content/uploads/20...ersion.pdf

Great selection.
Thanks.
(14-Jun-2018, 07:17)Confused Wrote: As we know, this thread has drifted fractionally off topic from time to time.  Anyway, I stumbled across Hifi Pig's latest offering the other day, a summary of the Munich 2018 show.  What can I say?  This has to be the finest selection of hifi show photographs that I have ever seen compiled in one place.  Genuinely good stuff.  So what is your favorite piece of kit?  I'm still trying to decide.  Take a look and enjoy!

http://hifipig.com/wp-content/uploads/20...ersion.pdf

Wow, thanks for sharing. I did a double-take at the pdf page count.

Beauty’s in the eye of the beholder I guess, but personally I thought about 99% of it was some of the ugliest design I’ve ever seen. Let’s just hope they sound good as there were some staggering prices in among that lot too.

That said I’d LOVE a pair of estelon speakers if I could afford them and had space. Even if they sounded rubbish. Beautiful.

The one thing I’ve never felt Devialet failed in is the Expert design, which is a masterpiece for what it is. Few have followed it seems.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

(14-Jun-2018, 22:08)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Beauty’s in the eye of the beholder I guess, but personally I thought about 99% of it was some of the ugliest design I’ve ever seen. Let’s just hope they sound good as there were some staggering prices in among that lot too.

The one thing I’ve never felt Devialet failed in is the Expert design, which is a masterpiece for what it is. Few have followed it seems.

I agree. If you like your hifi to be the opposite of children, namely heard (a lot) but not seen (maybe a little), then I'd class most of the kit as ugly and often brash or of dull design. Not much of understated elegance.

Having read this post before looking at the Pig, I counted over 40 ugly turntables and over 100 ugly, brash or dull loudspeakers.

As you say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but my turntable choice narrowed down to those establish offerings from SME, Rega and Wilson Benesch. On loudspeakers, more choice but still with the established brands in the forefront (for me) such as Quad, Vivid (the new Kaya), Wilson, Magico, Kef and Avantgarde. I guess if I had to chose horns it would be the TotalDac and, at the spin-off show, wonderful panels from Alsyvox.

But,, as you infer, domestic acceptance rate pretty much in the low percentages.

Devialet score so highly here, joined IMO in design terms by CH Precision and Constellation and dCS if you have the money.
Innuos Statement 2TB SSD with Next-Gen PSU (with Roon lifetime)
MacBook Pro (with Air)
Draytek Vigor 2860v-Plus/Devialet Original d'Atelier CI Nos. 54A&B/Magico M3 pair
Shunyata cables (digital/interconnect/loudspeaker/power)/Shunyata power units (Triton/Typhon)

Dialog/Phantom Gold/Tree pair
Missing Link cables (power)
England
(15-Jun-2018, 07:44)IanG-UK Wrote:
(14-Jun-2018, 22:08)Hifi_swlon Wrote: Beauty’s in the eye of the beholder I guess, but personally I thought about 99% of it was some of the ugliest design I’ve ever seen. Let’s just hope they sound good as there were some staggering prices in among that lot too.

I agree. If you like your hifi to be the opposite of children, namely heard (a lot) but not seen (maybe a little), then I'd class most of the kit as ugly and often brash or of dull design. Not much of understated elegance.

Having read this post before looking at the Pig, I counted over 40 ugly turntables and over 100 ugly, brash or dull loudspeakers.

As you say, beauty is in the eye of the beholder, but my turntable choice narrowed down to those establish offerings from SME, Rega and Wilson Benesch. On loudspeakers, more choice but still with the established brands in the forefront (for me) such as Quad, Vivid (the new Kaya), Wilson, Magico, Kef and Avantgarde. I guess if I had to chose horns it would be the TotalDac and, at the spin-off show, wonderful panels from Alsyvox.

But,, as you infer, domestic acceptance rate pretty much in the low percentages.

Devialet score so highly here, joined IMO in design terms by CH Precision and Constellation and dCS if you have the money.
I agree that too much of the equipment is about showing off with bad, gaudy taste.
The most interesting design in loudspeakers at the show was the Vivid Kaya especially the smaller ones (45 and especially 25) transforming that boring tower.
Sound wise I was very impressed with the Chord Hugo TT2 but I do not care for Chord's design ideas at all. At least it is quite small and easy to conceal.
(15-Jun-2018, 16:54)Music or sound Wrote: The most interesting design in loudspeakers at the show was the Vivid Kaya especially the smaller ones (45 and especially 25) transforming that boring tower.

Thanks for the Kaya reference, hadn’t heard of them. I can add them (especially the 45) to the list of speakers I’d like but can’t afford. Although at £16k they’re getting closer than the Giyas.

I like the look, and I get the idea of making a design with wider appeal - but they’re hardly much more conventional then their other lines. And at first glance I thought they were ugly but grew on me. I hope it works for them but my hunch is it’s not conventional or affordable enough for wide appeal.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<