Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Mutec MC-3+ USB
(09-Mar-2016, 17:53)Gentleman Wrote: Hi folks.

I did some homework meanwhile.

As some will know I have got myself a custom made PSU for my JPlay servers. This PSU has got an extra 6,0 Volt rail for the MUTEC MC3+USB as well. This proved to be a good idea as the MC-3+USB with linear power sonds much better than with its standard switching PSU.

Now I am about to get some MC3+USB made with a linear PSU.

I wonder if somebody is interested to join in as we need some orders prior to the start of the purchase / production.

Please note: right now only a 230/240 Volt version is planned!

To avoid spamming this thread I suggest you send me a PM if you need further details.

In Dubio Pro Audio

Jan

Hi Jan,

Could you precise in which way your MC3+USB made with a linear PSU sounds much better than the standard switching PSU ?
What exactly are you offering ?

Thanks in advance.
Hi.

As I mentioned above we are feeding our MC-3+USB with seperate 6,0 Volt from a custom made linear PSU which offers overall six seperate rails to power my two JPlay XEON servers.

Now that we have already made our homework I wonder if somebody else wants to improve the quality of his DEVIALET setup.

For me reclocking of the digital source is a big step forward. As I realize that not many want to spent their money, time and space on a "monster" source like our servers I thought that my offer might be helpful.

The impovement is as big as switching from MP3 to hires!

Much more colours, vibrations, emotions, etc.

I am not searching for a quick way to get somebodies money. I am even willing to send a modified prototype to everybody who is interested. But first I want to know if there are seriously interested members among us.

At the moment I am discussing another audition of my gear somewhere in the UK with Guillaume. Maybe we will have another forum meeting soon like we did last year in Sweden.

In Dubio Pro Audio

Jan
(10-Mar-2016, 19:36)Gentleman Wrote: Hi.

As I mentioned above we are feeding our MC-3+USB with seperate 6,0 Volt from a custom made linear PSU which offers overall six seperate rails to power my two JPlay XEON servers.

Now that we have already made our homework I wonder if somebody else wants to improve the quality of his DEVIALET setup.

For me reclocking of the digital source is a big step forward. As I realize that not many want to spent their money, time and space on a "monster" source like our servers I thought that my offer might be helpful.

The impovement is as big as switching from MP3 to hires!

Much more colours, vibrations, emotions, etc.

I am not searching for a quick way to get somebodies money. I am even willing to send a modified prototype to everybody who is interested. But first I want to know if there are seriously interested members among us.

At the moment I am discussing another audition of my gear somewhere in the UK with Guillaume. Maybe we will have another forum meeting soon like we did last year in Sweden.

In Dubio Pro Audio

Jan

Thank you Jan,
What kind of signal are you reclocking ? You mentioned you have two big Xeon servers. Are you going out of these big machines through a card like Lynx AES16e and input into the Mutec in AES/EBU or are you going out of your monsters through USB ?
A long but very interesting read on "The Future of Clocks: Clarifications in the Audio Clocking Paradigm" here:

http://pinknoisemag.com/pink-papers/pink-paper-002

"Overview
This report is part technical paper, part cultural history, part investigative journalism, and part gear review. The cultural history section of this paper considers how audio clocks went from being thought of as synchronization devices to aesthetic devices (affecting sound). The emergence of entrenched debates over external vs. internal clocking is also considered in depth, and an attempt to draw those debates to a close is made. The investigative journalism centers around a first-in-print disclosure of the Digidesign 192 converter’s inherent jitter, a fact that helps to clarify the rise of aesthetic clocking, as well as the confusion and debates around it. The technical paper content puts forth an accessible technical paradigm with which the end-user of digital audio systems, who we presume lacks a deeper technical understanding, can begin to more effectively evaluate those systems. Some deeper technical concepts are explored in an accessible manner, and recommendations for listening are made. Finally, the gear review section presents the first comparative round-up of 10 MHz audio clocks, a relatively new breed of clocks for the pro audio market designed solely for their sonic impact, and we compare them to standard crystal-based generators, as well."
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(12-Mar-2016, 14:25)Antoine Wrote: A long but very interesting read on "The Future of Clocks: Clarifications in the Audio Clocking Paradigm" here:

http://pinknoisemag.com/pink-papers/pink-paper-002

Hi Antoine,

Very interesting. Thanks for sharing :-)
Well I had never used the USB input to the Devialet so the first thing was a compare between Air and the USB input. I preferred Air, for whatever reason.
Then I tried the Mutec. It sounded better than USB straight into the Devialet to me but was very unstable. The Mutec sometimes showed up as a sound output device, sometimes it didn't. Sometimes it did, then it disappeared during playing leaving silence.
I didn't get a chance to really compare it to Air because it was so annoying I disconnected it and put my CD transport back in place.
I suppose it will have to go back as broken.

Yet another pitiful steaming experience. For me, I'm sticking to CD and LP so I get to listen to music rather than dicking about trying to get sound or find the stuff I want to hear. GRRR.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(18-Mar-2016, 21:38)f1eng Wrote: Well I had never used the USB input to the Devialet so the first thing was a compare between Air and the USB input. I preferred Air, for whatever reason.
Then I tried the Mutec. It sounded better than USB straight into the Devialet to me but was very unstable. The Mutec sometimes showed up as a sound output device, sometimes it didn't. Sometimes it did, then it disappeared during playing leaving silence.
I didn't get a chance to really compare it to Air because it was so annoying I disconnected it and put my CD transport back in place.

Yet another pitiful steaming experience. For me, I'm sticking to CD and LP so I get to listen to music rather than dicking about trying to get sound or find the stuff I want to hear. GRRR.

Well sorry to read that, but I guess that we all have our burdens :-). I personally have so much difficulty having AIR work with WiFi and my USB connection to the Mutec is so flawless... 
Have you, by any chance, been able to test the Mutec between the output of your CD transport and the input of the Devialet to check if reclocking was bringing any added value in this field ?
(19-Mar-2016, 00:46)SwissBear Wrote:
(18-Mar-2016, 21:38)f1eng Wrote: Well I had never used the USB input to the Devialet so the first thing was a compare between Air and the USB input. I preferred Air, for whatever reason.

Well sorry to read that, but I guess that we all have our burdens :-). I personally have so much difficulty having AIR work with WiFi and my USB connection to the Mutec is so flawless... 
Have you, by any chance, been able to test the Mutec between the output of your CD transport and the input of the Devialet to check if reclocking was bringing any added value in this field ?

Sorry, no. I prefer listening to music to comparing kit for SQ so if it doesn't go completely flawlessly I completely lose interest.
My CD transport gives the best quality sound of all my sources. It is very old now, almost 20 years and I believe it has a FiFo buffer and precise clock itself. It was never made public in the spec, Goldmund never are specific, but there is a several second delay between the CD spinning up and any output.
I compared it with a well regarded Mark Levinson 31 transport, which was nowhere near as good, and a CEC TL1 which was not quite as good before buying, nothing I have tried has come close since so I hope it lasts a few more years...
None of the streaming sources I have tried have matched CD yet, though my Sooloos Control 15 is not bad for SQ.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(18-Mar-2016, 21:38)f1eng Wrote: Then I tried the Mutec. It sounded better than USB straight into the Devialet to me but was very unstable. The Mutec sometimes showed up as a sound output device, sometimes it didn't. Sometimes it did, then it disappeared during playing leaving silence.
GRRR.

Have you looked at this : 10.11.4 OS X update is out: "Fixes an issue that caused USB audio devices to disconnect" ?

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-so...post524162
(21-Mar-2016, 23:25)SwissBear Wrote:
(18-Mar-2016, 21:38)f1eng Wrote: Then I tried the Mutec. It sounded better than USB straight into the Devialet to me but was very unstable. The Mutec sometimes showed up as a sound output device, sometimes it didn't. Sometimes it did, then it disappeared during playing leaving silence.
GRRR.

Have you looked at this : 10.11.4 OS X update is out: "Fixes an issue that caused USB audio devices to disconnect" ?

http://www.computeraudiophile.com/f11-so...post524162

Thanks for that. I will try this, and a different cable, but the fact is directly into the Devialet USB input had no loss of sound just the same cable into the Mutec.
Oxfordshire