Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Mutec MC-3+ USB
(13-May-2019, 17:27)ogs Wrote: Did they indicate if the new DAC will have reclocking built in? I am guessing it will have USB to handle high bit rates in addition to SPDIF...  Ethernet?
Roon Ready, ethernet, 768kHz and reclocking +DSD would be a killer combination! Too much to hope for I suppose.

He mentioned so many features that I cannot recall all of them,  Blush but DSD and re-clocking will definitely be part of the package.
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
A DAC without DSD support today would probably be suicide.... the re-clocking is very promising. Too few DAC's have it and there is no doubt it's effective even if theorists often dismiss it.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Thanks @baconbrain for reporting from Munich! Smile
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(13-May-2019, 18:53)baconbrain Wrote:
(13-May-2019, 17:27)ogs Wrote: Did they indicate if the new DAC will have reclocking built in? I am guessing it will have USB to handle high bit rates in addition to SPDIF...  Ethernet?
Roon Ready, ethernet, 768kHz and reclocking +DSD would be a killer combination! Too much to hope for I suppose.

He mentioned so many features that I cannot recall all of them,  Blush but DSD and re-clocking will definitely be part of the package.
I am new to this thread.  I noticed that you also use Mutec Ref10. Considering it costs about $5000, is it really worth the money in terms of SQ on tope of Mutec MC-3 USB?
thanks,
(23-Jul-2019, 17:51)chungjh Wrote: I am new to this thread.  I noticed that you also use Mutec Ref10. Considering it costs about $5000, is it really worth the money in terms of SQ on tope of Mutec MC-3 USB?
thanks,

Oh, those types of questions are tough ones to answer, as multiple factors come to play. My purely subjective opinion is that if you only have one device in the chain (especially if it is not your DAC) which could profit from an external clock such as the Ref10, then it might not warrant that level of investment. I have 4 devices connected to mine currently and that balances it out a bit for me.

There are additional Ref10 owners on this forum who could also share their opinions.

Hope that helps.
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
(16-Jan-2018, 08:06)ogs Wrote: @thumb5  the re-clocking is active from USB to any of the outputs. It's also re-clocking if you use an SPDIF input and USB as output for recording to PC for example.
 I have a 220 pro CI and I am looking to upgrade the SQ.  I was hoping the USB converter to AES would improve the SQ over the direct USB input over a low quality USB 2.0 cable. Do you all think it is worth adding Mutec mc3 USB between my mac laptop and 220 CI?
(23-Jul-2019, 19:43)baconbrain Wrote:
(23-Jul-2019, 17:51)chungjh Wrote: I am new to this thread.  I noticed that you also use Mutec Ref10. Considering it costs about $5000, is it really worth the money in terms of SQ on tope of Mutec MC-3 USB?
thanks,

Oh, those types of questions are tough ones to answer, as multiple factors come to play. My purely  subjective opinion is that if you only have one device in the chain (especially if it is not your DAC) which could profit from an external clock such as the Ref10, then it might not warrant that level of investment. I have 4 devices connected to mine currently and that balances it out a bit for me.

There are additional Ref10 owners on this forum who could also share their opinions.

Hope that helps.
If we assume that adding REF10 doesn't make a big enough, do you feel that adding Mutec MC3 between my mac laptop-USB and D220 CI will produce noticeable SQ improvement. The person at Devialet who answered this question didn't think so, but I don't know if he/she is just guessing.
(23-Jul-2019, 20:03)chungjh Wrote: If we assume that adding REF10 doesn't make a big enough, do you feel that adding Mutec MC3 between my mac laptop-USB and D220 CI will produce noticeable SQ improvement. The person at Devialet who answered this question didn't think so, but I don't know if he/she is just guessing.

If I would be in a similar situation, I believe I would consider investing in a different source. (i.e. your Mac Book) There are some excellent sources out there and not all of them cost an arm and a leg.
(23-Jul-2019, 19:53)chungjh Wrote:
(16-Jan-2018, 08:06)ogs Wrote: @thumb5  the re-clocking is active from USB to any of the outputs. It's also re-clocking if you use an SPDIF input and USB as output for recording to PC for example.
 I have a 220 pro CI and I am looking to upgrade the SQ.  I was hoping the USB converter to AES would improve the SQ over the direct USB input over a low quality USB 2.0 cable. Do you all think it is worth adding Mutec mc3 USB between my mac laptop and 220 CI?
I'd say that a Mutec would give a worthwhile result between your laptop and 220. Keep in mind that the USB input of the Mutec takes power over the USB cable. You may get an even better result if you insert USB power from a better source than your laptop.
You don't say which player you are using. If it is Roon you should also try AIR and RAAT over ethernet (or wifi). If the player is UPnP based, your 220 can also deal with that, but it may not be as easy to get working.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(23-Jul-2019, 21:52)ogs Wrote:
(23-Jul-2019, 19:53)chungjh Wrote:
I'd say that a Mutec would give a worthwhile result between your laptop and 220. Keep in mind that the USB input of the Mutec takes power over the USB cable. You may get an even better result if you insert USB power from a better source than your laptop.
You don't say which player you are using. If it is Roon you should also try AIR and RAAT over ethernet (or wifi). If the player is UPnP based, your 220 can also deal with that, but it may not be as easy to get working.
I don't use any special player. I play Tidal from my mac laptop over cheap USB cable directly into 220 CI USB port. Would having a streamer in front of 220 CI significantly improve SQ? I am looking for a way to significantly improve SQ compared to my basic configuration. Any recommendation would be appreciated.