Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Devialet dilemma
Thanks for the confirmation on the devialets phono stage quality.... as far as Paul referring to the audible hiss, from some of the reading I have seen, it seems the hiss is mostly with low output MC carts, is that correct? If only limited to these type of mc cartridges, it seems unless you already had that cart, that the best option would be to purchase a high output mc or go mm. Is my logic sound or am I missing some key info re the hissing and the devialet?
(01-Nov-2018, 01:41)kylevuong Wrote: Before deciding which one to buy you should consider this:
  • Will you intend to upgrade your speakers in the future? If yes I would recommend to buy Dev 200 or Dev Pro 220. It can drive mostly any speakers in the market.

Last month I was in the same situation and luckily a preowned Devialet 200 came up locally, I purchased it and never look back.
I have similar setup as yours and the Devialet works perfectly.
I can sell my DAC, Phono preamp, Network streamer, interconnects and power cables, my system is very simple, minimal and sounds amazingly good.
The Devialet 200 à ethernet cable à Router
Music server à ethernet cable à Router
Turntable à phono cable à Devialet
Apple TV à optical cable à Devialet
I also have PS4 but I use TV speakers for it, the Devialet is just for music

Plus with Spotify, Tidal or Apple Music app, everything can be controlled with your phone.
Because I have old model Devialet, I can only Airplay via AppleTV. If you buy Pro model with Core Infinity, you don’t have to.

thanks for your reply. After reading your post I have a question. You say you have your Apple TV hooked up to your devialet via optical. But then also say you have to airplay from Apple Music app. If this is the case, I don’t understand the appletv hooked up to devialet. 

Unless you just mean from the convenience of using your phone to stream.

Thanks for clarifying as I will be using apple music from my appletv 90% of the time initially
(09-Dec-2018, 17:38)mmorrison55 Wrote: Thanks for the confirmation on the devialets phono stage quality.... as far as Paul referring to the audible hiss, from some of the reading I have seen, it seems the hiss is mostly with low output MC carts, is that correct? If only limited to these type of mc cartridges, it seems unless you already had that cart, that the best option would be to purchase a high output mc or go mm. Is my logic sound or am I missing some key info re the hissing and the devialet?

With my ClearAudio MC (Output 0,75 mV), I did not notice any hiss.
Kii Three Speakers | JL Audio Fathom Subwoofer  | KEF LS50 Speakers | Samsung 850 Soundbar
Innuos Statement | Trinnov Altitude 32 | PS Audio Stellar S300 Amp | T+A HA 200 Headphone Amplifier | Meze Empyrean Headphones
Sean Jacobs DC-3 Custom Build LPS | Roon Core DIY Server | SOtM sNH-10G Modded Switch | Oppo UDP-205 Blu-Ray/SACD Player
T+A G 2000 R Turntable | DS Audio E1 Optical Stylus | Gordian Lab 12 Power Conditioner | Artesania Audio Rack
The AT 33PTG II output is 0,30mV which is rather lowish

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk
I experience hiss from either the Ortofon Cadenza Black at .30mv and the Dynavector DRT XV-1s at .33mv on my 250. But I need to state that when the needles down it seems to all but disappear. Quiet moments are almost if not black by which I mean totally quiet.

Hiss is there from -30 to -15 at which time it becomes more noticeable from my seating position. Any sound level above that with the needle OFF the vinyl it's quite obvious. I want to be clear that when the needle is on the vinyl I don't hear any hiss from my seating position no matter how quiet the music passage is.

For me I've stepped back from trying to remove this annoyance (for now). Once the cartridge is tracking on the vinyl I truly appreciate the Devialet phono section (with either of these two cartridges).

Jim
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Roon for life, VPI Aries 3D le/Dynavector XV-1s, 1000 Pro, KEF Blade Two
Okanagan, British Columbia
Thanks for the info guys. Jim, I agree, if you only hear a his when the needle is not touching the record, I feel much better about not ruling out a low output mc cartridge.
I have hiss and noise when the needle is on and also of the record.

Sent from my COL-L29 using Tapatalk