Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My Phantom voyage
What a voyage - I hope it never ends Wink Thanks for sharing.
(26-Feb-2023, 14:04)Bbnsound Wrote: What a voyage - I hope it never ends Wink Thanks for sharing.

Thanks! I have more projects waiting for some spare time. If I can't fix the mid driver on the Silver Phantom, I have a spare chassis for the internals.

The first black Silver Phantom. A proper FrankenPhantom!
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
Photo 
May I know what kind of glue should be used to ensure it's 100% air sealed? 2 dust caps popped out due to 2 accidents happened at the same time; the volume turns to 100% while playing the song "Partition"......

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

That's quite astonishing! I've used Loctite epoxy.
https://www.loctiteproducts.com/en/produ...ckset.html
My Phantom Voyage
Long time, no see. 
The search for a sibling for the first generation Phantom Silver is still ongoing. Seems like the marked for damaged Phantoms have dried up after Devialet started offering the repair service. No wonder actually. While looking for French high tech plastics I stumbled upon some old English DSP dinosaurs, a pair of Tannoy Precision 8 iDP monitors with a TS112 iDP subwoofer, at a very tempting price. These speakers were quite high tech back in 2008, and the one and only review I found was favourable. I jumped the wagon and after a week some pretty big and right out ugly speakers landed in the den.

My wife was not pleased. Compared to the small and good looking KEF LSX the dinosaurs were enormous and hideous. But connected to a Yamaha WXC-50 and a Chromecast Audio as a Roon endpoint the sound was surprisingly good. The LSX/T-Zero combo, which sounds really nice, couldn't compare. So, while waiting for another Silver to complete the setup in the den, the Tannoys have replaced the LSX/T-Zero combo as temporary speakers.
As for my Phantom collection, it could be better.
Three dummies, a working first gen Silver and a faulty second gen. Hopefully another spare will emerge soon.

I wish you all a pleasant and well sounding summer holiday!
My Phantom Voyage
Sadly nothing new in the Phantom saga, but I've managed to put together splendid turntable, the Technics SL-1000MK2 black edition. A SP10-MK2 in a SP20 chassis and an EPA-100MK2 tonearm in the SH10-B3 plinth.

The EPC-205MK3 with a Jico SAS boron needle makes the turntable sing. 

My Phantom Voyage
Finally some proper Phantom news! I managed to get hold of a Silver with malfunctioning internals, so I could transfer the first generation motherboards to the chassis. Here we go.

No obvious reason here for the speaker to malfunction.

My bet; this is the reason.

So why won't the speaker power up after swapping the internals? One obvious reason; one driver is blown. As you can see there's no contact between the pins, i.e. the voice coil is broken.

Hopefully the seller will grant a refund, and if I'm lucky another donor speaker will emerge soon.
My Phantom Voyage
Too much time on my hands.

My Phantom Voyage
Very interesting.
I have the same multimeter. Had to clean off the surface of it, as the rubber had gotten sticky. (pulled it apart and used Jif Skurekrem)
Sennheiser AMBEO Soundbar KEF KC62  |  Devialet Expert 250 Pro KEF LS50 Meta  |  KEF LSX