Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
New Phantom coming!!
Who's going to be the first to get a pair of Gold's ?

Bring on those Golds ! Lets get some reviews. Very interested to hear this new speaker and see if the Audiophiles give this one the nod.
The buffered Norwegian page is now gone. A Danish buffered page has appeared. The speakers are called Test Phantom and the specs are for the Silver Phantom. And yes, I have way too much time on my hands Wink

https://webcache.googleusercontent.com/s...clnk&gl=no
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
Is there any confirmation at all if the DAC in the new Golds are new or improved ?
Here is a screen shot of the specs of the DAC. In the old specs a TI DAC chip was mentioned.  

Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(24-Jun-2016, 16:03)dkoretz Wrote: For all the skeptics... turns out I had a pretty good source Wink

Perhaps your source can elaborate on what "Devialet DAC" means? New ESS, AKM or custom FPGA?
(26-Jun-2016, 12:09)nicoludio Wrote:
(24-Jun-2016, 16:03)dkoretz Wrote: For all the skeptics... turns out I had a pretty good source Wink

Perhaps your source can elaborate on what "Devialet DAC" means? New ESS, AKM or custom FPGA?

I'll ask.  Big Grin
(26-Jun-2016, 20:54)dkoretz Wrote:
(26-Jun-2016, 12:09)nicoludio Wrote:

I'll ask.  Big Grin

To me it reads like Devialet have made their own DAC
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
"To me it reads like Devialet have made their own DAC"

Which would be a disaster. I would never go for that. They make great sounding electronics but they have to draw the line somewhere.

I doubt they would make thier own DAC.
(28-Jun-2016, 01:04)bimbo Wrote: "To me it reads like Devialet have made their own DAC"

Which would be a disaster. I would never go for that. They make great sounding electronics but they have to draw the line somewhere.

I doubt they would make thier own DAC.

It says: "Devialet DAC embedded in ADHV2".

To discard Devialet's capability to make a good DAC would be to ignore what they have already shown to be capable of IMO. And they have shown to be miles ahead of anyone else out there with their ADH amplification. Developing a DAC must cost quite a bit if you're not going to sell it on the wholesale market so I can't see them doing it to save money. So sound quality must be the reason.

Time will tell Smile
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Article about the new Phantom Gold

http://www.theverge.com/circuitbreaker/2...loud-price