Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 3.5 Average
New beta firmware 7.1.3 released
(05-Nov-2015, 21:40)Confused Wrote: I used to love 7.1.3beta, and after many months on 8.1.3, a few weeks ago I did try switching back to 7.1.3beta.  (with old config cards)  I was quite surprised to find I didn't like it as much as the 8.1.3, so soon reverted back (forwards) to the latest firmware.

I experienced exactly the same last weekend!
Devialet 220 Pro / Wilson Benesch Vertex / Linn LP12 / Crystal Cable Crystalspeak Piccolo Diamond / Audioquest Vodka Ethernet / Roon / The Netherlands
(05-Nov-2015, 21:40)Confused Wrote: I used to love 7.1.3beta, and after many months on 8.1.3, a few weeks ago I did try switching back to 7.1.3beta.  (with old config cards)  I was quite surprised to find I didn't like it as much as the 8.1.3, so soon reverted back (forwards) to the latest firmware.

What is Your listening configuration for 8.1.3 (SAM on or off, DPM?, etc)
(06-Nov-2015, 16:57)moreno1973 Wrote:

SAM on, although in 7.1.3 it was usually set to 100%, in 8.1.3 I usually set to 40%.  Most of the time I run with DPM on, I don't think it makes a massive difference, although from time to time I am flirting with DPM off, but haven't reached a firm conclusion that this is any better or worse.  DPM is a strange one.  One time I was listening and thought that things were not quite as they should be.  Tried turning DPM off, and then thought that it sounded better.  Other times I have tried DPM on / off back to back and found no difference.  Don't get me wrong though, I'm not DPM obsessed, most of the time I leave it on and I'm more than happy.
(06-Nov-2015, 18:12)Confused Wrote:
(06-Nov-2015, 16:57)moreno1973 Wrote:

SAM on, although in 7.1.3 it was usually set to 100%, in 8.1.3 I usually set to 40%.  Most of the time I run with DPM on, I don't think it makes a massive difference, although from time to time I am flirting with DPM off, but haven't reached a firm conclusion that this is any better or worse.  DPM is a strange one.  One time I was listening and thought that things were not quite as they should be.  Tried turning DPM off, and then thought that it sounded better.  Other times I have tried DPM on / off back to back and found no difference.  Don't get me wrong though, I'm not DPM obsessed, most of the time I leave it on and I'm more than happy.

In my system DPM helps much in lowering Devialet temperatures...

What are sound advantages in 8.1.3 comparing to 7.1.3 according to You?
Going back to 7.1.3beta I found that there was a touch of harshness with some material. These things are marginal of course, not night and day, but slightly more analogue with 8.1.3.
I again compared 8.1.3 with 7.1.3 beta.

Now I am sure that there is too much High Tones in 8.1.3.

7.1.3 is much more full bodied. With much better low midrange tones. Also each note and tone is fuller, with great articulation.

IMO differences are really easy to notice. I will stay with 7.1.3 beta. This is a sound I can listen without fatigue for many hours...
Over the past  few weeks I urged my friend to try the 7.1.3 firmware knowing that he would love it just as much as I do.
It took a while, but he finally tried it and wrote this article about it::::

Devialet Firmware [HiFiAdvice]
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
(17-Jan-2016, 12:51)Cylob Wrote: Over the past  few weeks I urged my friend to try the 7.1.3 firmware knowing that he would love it just as much as I do.

Very interesting and thanks for sharing. Is your friend a member of this forum?

I do feel that 9.0.1 redresses the balance somewhat.

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
(17-Jan-2016, 13:27)GuillaumeB Wrote:
(17-Jan-2016, 12:51)Cylob Wrote: Over the past  few weeks I urged my friend to try the 7.1.3 firmware knowing that he would love it just as much as I do.

Very interesting and thanks for sharing. Is your friend a member of this forum?

I do feel that 9.0.1 redresses the balance somewhat.

Guillaume

No he's not a member [yet]. If there's any news I usually share it with him.

I did try 9.0.1, but didn't like it.
The midtones indeed seemed warmer with 9.0.1 then with 8.1.3,
but a lot of the airiness & soundstage width were gone.
Fell in love with 7.1.3 right away: the airiness, the huge soundstage and so much more musicality and warmth in the mids.
Silksmooth highs. Not a hint of harshness, but crystal clear at the same time. Magical!
It did seem to loose some bass though, but that's not a problem in my setup.
Devialet Expert 200 (FW 7.1.3) / Magnepan 1.7i / Rel T5 / Foobar (WASAPI event 24bit) / AIR 3.0.1 public beta (best Air 3.x.x SQ by far)
Its interesting that the article states that 7.1.3 sounds more analogue than 8.1.3, when my ears / system states that 8.1.3 is the more analogue sounding firmware. The thing is, I know I'm right. I guess that others who disagree with this will know that they are right too.