Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
New firmware 8.1.3
I presume if you're ruining 7.1.1 or 7.1.3, then the configurator will no longer be compatible? At least not if selecting SAM?
(27-Aug-2015, 21:57)Confused Wrote: I presume if you're ruining 7.1.1 or 7.1.3, then the configurator will no longer be compatible?  At least not if selecting SAM?

Well I hope no one is "ruining" 7.1.1 or 7.1.3 Angel, but you are right about the configurator. My understanding is that for SAM to work post the V8.1 firmware update you need to use the new Configurator.

David
1. NUC6i5SYH running ROON ROCK > ROON/AIR > Ethernet > Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity> Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers,
or, as alternative, 
2. Wyred4Sound MS-2 Server, Devialet 1000pro Core Infinity, Theta Jade CD Transport, Pure 702ES Tuner, Wilson-Benesch ACT Speakers, misc cables

UK
(27-Aug-2015, 21:25)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(27-Aug-2015, 20:43)Vincent Wrote:
(27-Aug-2015, 18:20)ledesc Wrote: Did you noticed a difference between 8.1.3 beta & 8.1.3 ?
If I find some time, may be I will try 7.1.1

Hi - I may have missed it on the way by, but can someone point me in the direction of a copy of the 8.1.3 Beta software?  I'm on the 8.1.3 standard release, and would agree with some of the other comments surrounding the top end being a little bright.

From my recent experiments, the beta won't cure the top end brightness if you're finding that in the non-beta, but everyone's experience is different.  To be fair I wasn't really looking for differences between the two - it was more 'them' vs 7.1.1 - but nothing stuck out as very different to my ears.

Only about an hour in, and it may be the placebo effect, but the 8.1.3 beta feels a little more relaxed at the top end as opposed to the official 8.1.3 release. I think I'll run with it for a while, and then drop to 7.1.3 for further comparison.
Devialet 200, MacMini, Roon control via iPad, B&W CM10 S2 Speakers.
(28-Aug-2015, 20:17)Vincent Wrote:
(27-Aug-2015, 21:25)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(27-Aug-2015, 20:43)Vincent Wrote:
(27-Aug-2015, 18:20)ledesc Wrote: Did you noticed a difference between 8.1.3 beta & 8.1.3 ?
If I find some time, may be I will try 7.1.1

Hi - I may have missed it on the way by, but can someone point me in the direction of a copy of the 8.1.3 Beta software?  I'm on the 8.1.3 standard release, and would agree with some of the other comments surrounding the top end being a little bright.

From my recent experiments, the beta won't cure the top end brightness if you're finding that in the non-beta, but everyone's experience is different.  To be fair I wasn't really looking for differences between the two - it was more 'them' vs 7.1.1 - but nothing stuck out as very different to my ears.

Only about an hour in, and it may be the placebo effect, but the 8.1.3 beta feels a little more relaxed at the top end as opposed to the official 8.1.3 release.  I think I'll run with it for a while, and then drop to 7.1.3 for further comparison.

I also went for the beta version last night. Have been listening to it all day and I also feel that it is a bit more relaxed in the top but as you say it can be placebo Confused
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

I used the configurator just now and when I went to save the configuration the following message appeared at the bottom of the screen:

THIS CONFIGURATION REQUIRES FIRMWARE 8.1.3

My speakers only have a SAM 2 profile which I suppose may be the reason why?

[EDIT: I checked and the reason that the new config file is only compatible with 8.1.3 is not to do with SAM it is rather that there are additional parameters for ADH delay and DAC delay which earlier versions of the FW can't handle.]

BTW, overall I don't really like 8.1.3 or 8.1.3 beta with AIR (wifi or ethernet).  In my system there is too much emphasis on high frequencies which spoils female vocals on some of my favourite recordings.  Shame, as I like the extra weight that SAM brings but I may have to go back to an earlier version which will probably mean that I lose SAM.  I may well try an Aurender again once the school holidays are over.  Just wish they supported Qobuz.
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
(31-Aug-2015, 00:34)PhilP Wrote: [EDIT: I checked and the reason that the new config file is only compatible with 8.1.3 is not to do with SAM it is rather that there are additional parameters for ADH delay and DAC delay which earlier versions of the FW can't handle.]

Are you sure about that?  I know the config files contain the new delay parameters, but I am using a configuration built with the current configurator with my D400 running 7.1.3 and it's working perfectly.  I assume that the older firmware simply ignores configuration parameters it doesn't understand.  (Which is a sensible design approach from the point of view of maintaining compatibility in exactly this situation.)
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(31-Aug-2015, 08:15)thumb5 Wrote:
(31-Aug-2015, 00:34)PhilP Wrote: [EDIT: I checked and the reason that the new config file is only compatible with 8.1.3 is not to do with SAM it is rather that there are additional parameters for ADH delay and DAC delay which earlier versions of the FW can't handle.]

Are you sure about that?  I know the config files contain the new delay parameters, but I am using a configuration built with the current configurator with my D400 running 7.1.3 and it's working perfectly.  I assume that the older firmware simply ignores configuration parameters it doesn't understand.  (Which is a sensible design approach from the point of view of maintaining compatibility in exactly this situation.)

Hey, its the mysterious workings of the configurator that I'm talking about - I can't be sure about anything - it was a guess in the early hours of the morning based on what I could see in the files Wink

I compared the config file with one I generated before 8.1.3 and the only differences I spotted were were the 8 delay parameter lines (4 for ADH and 4 for DAC) and a line which says something like "hasSub :false".

I guess an alternative reason could be that Devialet put the warning on the Config download screen for every config that includes a SAM profile just in case there has been a change that could possibly cause problems" Who knows?
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
Yes, I think it must be to do with the SAM configuration. I didn't see the message about requiring firmware 8.1.3, but then I am not using SAM at all.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
(31-Aug-2015, 00:34)PhilP Wrote: ….
BTW, overall I don't really like 8.1.3 or 8.1.3 beta with AIR (wifi or ethernet).  In my system there is too much emphasis on high frequencies which spoils female vocals on some of my favourite recordings.  Shame, as I like the extra weight that SAM brings but I may have to go back to an earlier version which will probably mean that I lose SAM. ...

At least a few of us in that boat…. The 8.x.x just don't work for me for exactly the same reason.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

I tried using a config file generated for 8.1.3 with 7.1.3 and it seemed to work. My speaker is the Magico S5 and I suspect its SAM profile is the same for V1 and V2, as I don't seem to detect much difference. I normally listen with SAM off and toggle SAM on for some recordings with lean bass.
Devailet 200, Lumin A1, Magico S5, Kimber ks6063, Rockport Capella, Benz Micro Ruby, Kimber ks1026