Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
No Air for macOS Catalina?
(13-Nov-2020, 21:22)ada Wrote: Just an heads up, I updated one of my Macs to Big Sur and Devialet AIR 3.0.5 has stopped working.

It was too much to see it working in Catalina for a month Sad(

Hi ada, hi all, have you/anyone per chance managed to solve the "virtual Sound Card Could not be loaded" error? I have spend tons of time with Devialet support last Oct/Nov, they kept sending me back to Apple, claiming I was the only one getting these kind of errors and it is was for Apple to support the app....needless to say Apple say the exact oppostie- which to be fair makes more sense...I have tried also re-installing OS, but no joy. Wonder if anyone has manage to resolve this, rather frustrating issue. thx
I had Devialet Air working prior to Catalina and then after upgrading to Catalina. This continued up until a later update of Catalina stopped it working.
After Devialet Air 3.0.5 was released I installed that and it again worked. When Big Sur was released and I upgraded to that it again stopped working.

At the time I did start to have a look into why it no longer worked. I don't actually use Devialet Air from my Macs as I can do everything I need to do using roon but I had it installed in case I needed to do something direct from one of my Macs.

As far as I could tell when Devialet Air is installed it installs a kernel extension (for the virtual sound card).

Apple now prefer System Extensions to be used rather than older Kernel extensions

see https://developer.apple.com/support/kernel-extensions

Up until 10.15.4 using a deprecated KPI triggered a user notification to contact the developer but usually still works.

I think the default in later versions is not to load such extensions. I think this could be circumvented in the pre GA releases of macOS so as to allow developers to work on their code.

To me it looked like failing to load the kernel extension gave rise to the virtual sound card error.

The conclusion I came to was that I was wasting my time trying to get it to load, certainly on Big Sur and that it was likely also a waste of time on the latest versions of Catalina
and that Devialet would need to update their app.

I could be wrong...
Gary.

Expert 440Pro, Audiovector SR6 AA, Linn KDSM, McIntosh MCD600, Clarity 09 TT (with Rega RB1000/Apheta), Rega IOS, Marantz SR6014
(12-Jan-2021, 01:46)Comet0909 Wrote:
(13-Nov-2020, 21:22)ada Wrote: Just an heads up, I updated one of my Macs to Big Sur and Devialet AIR 3.0.5 has stopped working.

It was too much to see it working in Catalina for a month Sad(

Hi ada, hi all, have you/anyone per chance managed to solve the "virtual Sound Card Could not be loaded" error? I have spend tons of time with Devialet support last Oct/Nov, they kept sending me back to Apple, claiming I was the only one getting these kind of errors and it is was for Apple to support the app....needless to say Apple say the exact oppostie- which to be fair makes more sense...I have tried also re-installing OS, but no joy. Wonder if anyone has manage to resolve this, rather frustrating issue. thx

Hi all, Devialet support replied, quote: 
If you are currently on the version of Mac OS Big Sur, you will encounter the issue.
Our software engineer team is working hard now, please subscribe our newsletter to stay tuned.

So hopefully the issue will be resolved soon!
As @garyUK mentions it is also not working on the latest version of Catalina.
Basically almost useless except if you do not update your OS

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
PS Audio P3 - Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI - Tanagra Audio Iris - Micromega CD-30 - Roon - Mac Mini - Entreq Silver Minimus Apollo Eartha RCA - Shunyata Omega Ethernet - Dela S100/OP-S100
I had a conversation with Devialet support a few weeks ago, shortly after I upgraded my Mac Mini to Big Sur. Politely, they told me that they do nothing for the moment and I have live with the situation as it is now. And they also also asked, politely, if they can close my ticket  Confused.

I interpret this that Air is gone for good! No way we will see a workaround!
SonicTransporter i5 - AirPort Extreme - Devialet Expert 120 - ATC SCM 19 v1
(12-Jan-2021, 13:12)Sailor4W Wrote: I had a conversation with Devialet support a few weeks ago, shortly after I upgraded my Mac Mini to Big Sur. Politely, they told me that they do nothing for the moment and I have live with the situation as it is now. And they also also asked, politely, if they can close my ticket  Confused.

I interpret this that Air is gone for good! No way we will see a workaround!

that's frustrating. I have been toying with the idea of upgrading from D200 to D220 pro, but this doesn't make me particularly bullish on future-proofing.
Hm, I cannot believe that as AIR is one of their core features the Expert line stands for.
I think it’s best to write to Mathieu to provide feedback. Is someone in contact with him anyway?
(15-Jan-2021, 00:19)markush Wrote: Hm, I cannot believe that as AIR is one of their core features the Expert line stands for.
I think it’s best to write to Mathieu to provide feedback. Is someone in contact with him anyway?

As far as I know, it took Devialet ages to make Air compatible with Catalina. Somewhere I read that it was only fixed a few weeks before Big Sur became available. So I‘m not so optimistic that we‘ll see a fix soon.

I did find Air-independent solutions!
(15-Jan-2021, 13:54)Sailor4W Wrote:
(15-Jan-2021, 00:19)markush Wrote: Hm, I cannot believe that as AIR is one of their core features the Expert line stands for.

As far as I know, it took Devialet ages to make Air compatible with Catalina. Somewhere I read that it was only fixed a few weeks before Big Sur became available. So I‘m not so optimistic that we‘ll see a fix soon.

I did find Air-independent solutions!

Sonos?
No, I use a vintage MacBook Air running either Roon/Ausirvana/Daphile and USB out to my Devialet.