Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Old B&W Models (803D and 804D)- Are they worth it?
Hi Guys,

A local dealer is sitting on some old stocks of B&W, the 803D and the 804D. They are sealed units, never sold and just been lying in store for years.

Does anyone use either of these models with our beloved Devialet. Would it be worth upgrading from the fantastic Atohm GT-1?

Appreciate the advice.

Regards,

Sanjeeb
(22-Feb-2017, 14:35)sanjeebrose Wrote: Hi Guys,

A local dealer is sitting on some old stocks of B&W, the 803D and the 804D. They are sealed units, never sold and just been lying in store for years.

Does anyone use either of these models with our beloved Devialet.  Would it be worth upgrading from the fantastic Atohm GT-1?

Appreciate the advice.

Regards,

Sanjeeb

Sanjeeb
Can you tell us all what versions of the 803D and 804D  if the 803D are version 2 it would be a nice upgrade
from your Atohn due to the Diamond tweeter.
I use the B&W 803D3 with my 440PRO, the 803D3 is a totally redesigned over the version 2.

Good luck with your choices Brian
Vinnie Rossi L2iSE integrated amp, VPI Classic TurnTable c/w Transfiguration Phoenix Cart, 
Auralic Aries G2, Audience Front Row USB cable, B&W 803D3 (black) Audience Front Row Bi wire speaker cables, 
6 x OREA Bronze Footers.
                                                                 Ottawa, Canada.                                                                                      

They will be as good as ever, of course, but they are only worth a tiny mark-up on the current second-hand cost.

Loudspeakers do seem to lose value massively once they are no longer in current production, however good a state they are in.

Fraser
Hi BrianT

These are not the new models. The boxes just had the D on them, no numerals after.

Hi fraserhadden,

Is there a chance that the quality of the drive components can deteriorate over the time kept in storage. I agree that the price should be discounted versus original launch price. I have not yet got an offer from the dealer. Should know in a day or two.

Too bad no owners of these models have responded. I may be able to get the 804D for a home demo, but they only have 1 unit of the 803D which is boxed and hence can't be demoed.

Thanks for the tip.

Sanjeeb
Sanjeeb,

I wouldn't anticipate great deterioration over time in storage. I am currently using Yamaha NS 1000Ms which I acquired second-hand in the mid 1990s, so driver surrounds must be fairly robust. Yamahas are frequently modified, so there has been examination of how long ageing-prone components of the cross-overs last, and the Yamaha capacitors, at least, appear to last 30 years without material shifts in their capacitance values.

The acid test of the drivers would be a demonstration with the speakers running at full chat over, say, 30 minutes. If they survive this, they are a fair purchase - at the right price, of course.

Fraser
I have the B&W 804D combined with the 220 pro. I mostly listen to classical music. I find this a great combination with a bright reasonably analytical sound - which is how I like it. I have not listened to the Atohm GT 1 - but I am pretty sure that not even its manufacturers would claim that it was in the same league as the 804D - and even less so than the 803D.
(24-Feb-2017, 06:23)Will Wrote: I have the B&W 804D combined with the 220 pro.  I mostly listen to classical music.  I find this a great combination with a bright reasonably analytical sound - which is how I like it.   I have not listened to the Atohm GT 1 - but I am pretty sure that not even its manufacturers would claim that it was in the same league as the 804D - and even less so than the 803D.

I can only agree as owner of a pair of B&W 804D connected to my Devialet 200. I enjoy listening independent music, rock, jazz and classical and feel it to be a great combination.
iMac Core i9, Roon lifetime, Qobuz Sublime+, OPPO BDP-103EU, Kanex Pro HDMI Audio Extractor, Dual CS 617Q, Devialet 220 PRO Core Infinity, Bowers&Wilkins 804 D2, Oppo HA2, Sennheiser HD 800S, Living Room, Enjoy Listening, Germany
I have the 804D2 with a 440pro and I'm very happy, lot's of detail and control.
For my taste a used D2 would be worth a lot more than a D. I liked the Nautilus models (had the N802). I thought the D2 models sounded much better than the first D models, which were too bright for my taste, and the D3 were an even bigger improvement.

That said, I think all would be a big upgrade from the Atohm GT-1 just for full-range sound. I don't think the 803 was worth the increased cost until maybe the D3 generation, and even then I prefer the 804D3 if cost is at all a factor (and the 802D2 if it isn't). The 803 seems an awkward compromise in the B&W line, still lovely just not at all as good as the 802 yet not so much better than the 804. This is all personal taste of course, but I have heard all these speakers and most many times in many places (less the 803 prior to D3). I hope you get to enjoy some B&W as much as I do. When auditioning keep in mind that they need significant time (hundreds of hours?) to break in before they sound great. Initially they sound comparatively bright, harsh, and small, lacking the ease that comes when the drivers relax.
Hi All,

Thank you so much for your views and sharing your experiences. I am yet to get an offer from them...so let's see.

I personally like strong imaging and smooth voicing in speakers (who doesn't ) and whilst the GT-1's are fine, I do feel that these can be improved and wonder if a full range floorstander will be better. I was not very convinced in the store demo as I don't think this outlet is doing justice to these speakers. They have agreed to a home demo and will take up the offer once I hear the price.

Till then have a great weekend!!