Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
One week countdown...
(06-Oct-2020, 23:04)markush Wrote: I am also in contact with Dirac, would be great if their software could output / export a compatible data set or file.

I am not sure if it is going to be possible to use Dirac here. Dirac normally doesn't extract any file and they have their own algorithm to calculate the final filter and that filter can only run on a licensed DSP hardware or in Dirac's Live Processor (available for MAC and Windows). I am a paid user of their Dirac Live Processor and the early tests from today, the REW output with 9 band EQ is no where near to what DIRAC is achieving.

I am in a plan to to apply Devialet's EQ to 80hz-1Khz range and then go over it with Dirac but that's not a good practice to run two different EQ over the same signal. I think at the end, for a Dirac customer, Sweet Room is just a useless feature.

But Markush, you have special skills, if you somehow make Devialet a Dirac compatible unit, I will be speechless and we should give you an award Smile (Dirac's support is amazingly responsive and helpful with tutorials and bug reporting/fixing, I am going to ask them tomorrow too but I think it is not possible)
(06-Oct-2020, 20:24)Waiski Wrote:
(06-Oct-2020, 20:15)BoyScout Wrote:
(06-Oct-2020, 20:07)Waiski Wrote: Looks good. SW updated, all good!
Tomorrow study with EQ! It is much easier than it looks in the beginning. Difficulty is that you need to have measurement equipment, like UMIK-1 and analyst SW like REW.

https://www.minidsp.com/products/acousti...ent/umik-1
https://www.roomeqwizard.com/

Then you need to understand how to use these tools. And after that understand what you want to correct. Then how to use the EQ tool. For me this is simple because I have used these years. But I understand if someone does see this too difficult. I believe you'll find help from us if someone does need guidance.
I´m thinking about to invite you to a dinner here at home. What do think about it? Big Grin

Just order the UMIK-1 and install the latest version of REW. I'll help you out.
It is not so difficult. Via email and this forum I'm sure you'll get all the help you need.

Thanks Waiski,

I´ll find the proper tools then we´ll speak.
Mac mini with Roon, Devialet 220 Pro CI, Black Sixteen speaker cables, Sonus Faber Guarneri Tradition and a pair of ears.
The more people reach out to Dirac about possible support / integration the better!
Let‘s see with what they come up.
I don't see why Dirac or any other room correction wouldn't work on Devialet. DSP is strong enough (much stronger than DSP used in let's say NAD) for any audio processing - you just need to load the appropriate software / algorithm.

All measurements / calculations of correction curve(s) can be done on PC and just uploaded to Devialet.

Of course, Devialet needs to pay for the licence and support.
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

Dirac Live Processor might run in Devialet but not possible with the Sweet room. That's what I tried to say. Otherwise, if the FPGAs are enough powerful, I am sure Dirac has an ARM based lib to develop a Live processor for Devialet but in this case D is the one needs to invest money and time and develop their custom screen and configuration settings on top of Dirac's lib. I am skeptic about this part.
The sound quality of the Devialet solution is very good what I cannot say about my experience with Dirac.
At least the Dirac 2.0 PC solution is reducing the digital volume by 6 or more db.
The Devialet solutions seems not to do that. So I'm happy with that.
By the nature of the EQ implementation, you need to decrease the sound otherwise you will start to experience clipping. There is someone in https://help.devialet.com/hc/en-us/artic...0016719679 here in the comment section asked about it.

Technically, if you are adding +12db for any band, you need to increase the headroom to avoid clipping means you need to decrease the main gain by 12db. But let's wait for Devialet's response to that comment and see how they handle.
that was me. Rolleyes
The samples in their documentation also have some EQ's with a positive gain and no main gain decrease.
I can also not hear any distortion. I think the Devialet solution applies the EQ after the signal is converted to 64bit float.
That probably adds enough headroom and they don't need to convert back to 24bit integer. Which would be a big advantage to any external solution...
(07-Oct-2020, 08:50)ada Wrote: Dirac Live Processor might run in Devialet but not possible with the Sweet room. That's what I tried to say. Otherwise, if the FPGAs are enough powerful, I am sure Dirac has an ARM based lib to develop a Live processor for Devialet but in this case D is the one needs to invest money and time and develop their custom screen and configuration settings on top of Dirac's lib. I am skeptic about this part.

I am using Dirac since quite a while and it improves the overall sound quality (my speakers in my room) considerably, particularly important for me is the proper handling of my severe room nodes. However, Dirac Live is installed on my Windows Device and only applies to any streaming signal, but neither my CD transport nor my turntable signal can be corrected. I was hoping very much this would change with the CI board. So when the CI Board arrived I asked Dirac wether there would be any chance to get their App running on it. They replied I should ask Devialet for the implementation of Dirac, what I did, with no result, since we now receive a very basic Equalizer.

I will try to use Sweet Room in order to avoid the major room nodes when listening to vinyl, correcting at only two or three frequencies. I hope that will not affect the overall sound quality too severely. And I hope it is actually so easy to switch Sweet Room on/off, when I change from vinyl to streaming and back again.

I am eager to hear any experiences or advice from Dirac plus Sweet Room users.
Devialet 220 pro CI - Surface 4 pro / Dirac / Roon / AIR - Kuzma Stabi S / Hana SL - PMC Fact 8
Feedback from Dirac so far it would not be able to run Dirac Live on Devialet.
But I got the info they in exchange with Devialet to make a workaround or export of setting to be compatible with the EQ text file