Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Optical input = much lower volume
Hello all,

I have an optical output running into my right Phantom 103 Stereo pair and the volume output is very low. I have to raise the volume to over 80 to have decent volume.
I'd be blown out of the house if I tried that volume setting on any other input. Any thoughts why?

TIA,

Minsoo
I believe the output volume from your optical source is low, hence the need for cranking up to the volume. Are you able to increase the volume of the optical source? Which source is it?
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
I have optical from my TV to one of my phantoms. Different apps on the TV have different volume as well for me (as example, Disney+ is much lower than Netflix and HBO Max).

At least the volume now are per input, if I change it to something else, it goes back to 35.
I always thought that an optical output was a fixed line level out. Is that not the case?
(23-Nov-2021, 20:29)MGremlin Wrote: I always thought that an optical output was a fixed line level out. Is that not the case?

Nope, it's not.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(23-Nov-2021, 20:29)MGremlin Wrote: I always thought that an optical output was a fixed line level out. Is that not the case?

It depends on what device you are using. E.g. when you use an RPi with a hifiberry digi+ or the like and use the hifiberry OS it has an internal volume control on their software that can be attenuated. So the output volume is much reduced. I experienced exactly this and was very surprised about the low volume until I found out where to increase it. It was on a web interface where then I could raise the volume. Maybe you are experiencing something similar. It was not obvious.
Thanks all!