Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
PS Audio P 20
Have just implemented 2 PS Audio P 20’s, replacing a P 10 and P 5.  Each P 20 is on its own dedicated 20 amp circuit. All units in the system are connected to a P 20, with additional grounding provided by a Synergistic Active Ground Block.
Only about 10 hours on the new units so far.  However, significant differences already noted, including taller, wider, deeper soundstage, better bass control, with total bass lock in the room.  Imaging has improved noticeably.  

The P 20’s loaf along, even when playing massive orchestral segments,  or full pipe organ with 32 foot bass lines.

Will continue to report as changes noted.
PS Audio P20 (2) and Power Bases (2), Aurender ACS10, Devialet 400, Martin Logan Neolith, Audioquest Wild & Diamond, Synergistic: Tranq  Base, FEQ, HFT, Black Box, Active Ground Block, Devialet Special Cords, Dedicated 20 amp circuits, Cryoed Romex.
"The P 20’s loaf along…"

Just what I would expect :-)

I've got a 140 Pro and a P12. When I asked my dealer about the P12 he recommended a P15 because it was finless and he said the fan would bother me. He didn't have a P12 he could lend me to try but he did lend me the P5 which they were using in the shop. When I rang him to tell him to order a P12 on the basis of a couple of hours with the P5, I jokingly told him the fan on the P5 wasn't working and he assured me it was. I then told him that it wasn't working because the P5 wasn't working hard enough to trigger the fan into turning on. Running my amp and my server, the only devices using power in my setup, the P12 is rarely delivering more than 55W output, even when I'm playing things loud, and it's loafing along at around 4 to 5% of output capacity. You're going to have to work damn hard to get those P20s to stop loafing and flexing their muscles.

Which isn't a bad thing :-)

Keep enjoying them. The P12 has certainly been a significant improvement in my smaller system. I can second your list of improvements.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
(02-Oct-2019, 23:35)David A Wrote: "The P 20’s loaf along…"

Just what I would expect  :-)

I've got a 140 Pro and a P12. When I asked my dealer about the P12 he recommended a P15 because it was finless and he said the fan would bother me. He didn't have a P12 he could lend me to try but he did lend me the P5 which they were using in the shop. When I rang him to tell him to order a P12 on the basis of a couple of hours with the P5, I jokingly told him the fan on the P5 wasn't working and he assured me it was. I then told him that it wasn't working because the P5 wasn't working hard enough to trigger the fan into turning on. Running my amp and my server, the only devices using power in my setup, the P12 is rarely delivering more than 55W output, even when I'm playing things loud, and it's loafing along at around 4 to 5% of output capacity. You're going to have to work damn hard to get those P20s to stop loafing and flexing their muscles.

Which isn't a bad thing  :-)

Keep enjoying them. The P12 has certainly been a significant improvement in my smaller system. I can second your list of improvements.

I too have a P12 but 440 Pro and IMHO, its still loafing ...  Big Grin     My local dealer told me to buy a P20 but I ended up placing an order for P12 direct to PS Audio. I have no regrets !
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
Has anyone tried the PS Audio P3?  I have the 220 pro but other than a TV and a couple other items I don't need much power.  Also rarely use at high volumes with a max of -27db. Currently have a Monster Filter hoping to improve the overall sound Quality.  Not sure how big a difference is in sound quality to the P12 or 15.

Any thoughts opinions would be appreciated.
Devialet 220 Pro CI, IsoAcoustics Orea Bronze, B&W 804D's, Isoacoustics Gia II,  PS Audio P12,  Synergistic Research Devialet spec power Cord, Siltech 770L speaker cables, Qobuz, Roon Lifetime
                                    GTA, Canada
I had a P5 on loan for trial before getting my P12. There is a noticeable improvement from the P5 to the P12 in my view.

Both the P5 and P12 have a fan which switches on for cooling if the unit gets too hot. I've never had it switch on in my system but I'm only running a 140, an ethernet switch and a Nucleus+ server and total power output never seems to reach 60 W. The P12 can output 1300 W. It can handle a 440 without the fan kicking in (see @audio_engr 's posts).

I would go for a P12 over a P3 or P5 which were the previous generation. I doubt you are going to end up needing anywhere near 1300 W output but, depending on how much power your TV and other items draw, you may find the fan kicking in and it may be audible. Ambient temperature in your room may have an effect in summer hot climates but Canada probably doesn't present a problem with summer heat and your room may be air conditioned. If you are going to draw enough power for the fan to kick in and the fan noise is an issue then you will need to step up to the P15 for a fanless model which can deliver the power you need.

The P12 replaced an Isotek Aquarius conditioner in my system and was an improvement over the Isotek. I would expect any of the PS Audio models to be an improvement over a Monster filter.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
(08-Nov-2019, 02:21)David A Wrote: I had a P5 on loan for trial before getting my P12. There is a noticeable improvement from the P5 to the P12 in my view.

Both the P5 and  P12 have a fan which switches on for cooling if the unit gets too hot. I've never had it switch on in my system but I'm only running a 140, an ethernet switch and a Nucleus+ server and total power output never seems to reach 60 W. The P12 can output 1300 W. It can handle a 440 without the fan kicking in (see @audio_engr 's posts).

I would go for a P12 over a P3 or P5 which were the previous generation. I doubt you are going to end up needing anywhere near 1300 W output but, depending on how much power your TV and other items draw, you may find the fan kicking in and it may be audible. Ambient temperature in your room may have an effect in summer hot climates but Canada probably doesn't present a problem with summer heat and your room may be air conditioned. If you are going to draw enough power for the fan to kick in and the fan noise is an issue then you will need to step up to the P15 for a fanless model which can deliver the power you need.

The P12 replaced an Isotek Aquarius conditioner in my system and was an improvement over the Isotek. I would expect any of the PS Audio models to be an improvement over a Monster filter.
Thanks David!  That's exactly what I was looking for......not necessarily what I was looking for....though not what I was hoping for from a budget standpoint.  Great advantage of this group is people who have used the equipment keeping me from under buying then upgrading later which is more expensive in the long run.
Devialet 220 Pro CI, IsoAcoustics Orea Bronze, B&W 804D's, Isoacoustics Gia II,  PS Audio P12,  Synergistic Research Devialet spec power Cord, Siltech 770L speaker cables, Qobuz, Roon Lifetime
                                    GTA, Canada
(08-Nov-2019, 11:52)Norty Wrote:
(08-Nov-2019, 02:21)David A Wrote: I had a P5 on loan for trial before getting my P12. There is a noticeable improvement from the P5 to the P12 in my view.

Both the P5 and  P12 have a fan which switches on for cooling if the unit gets too hot. I've never had it switch on in my system but I'm only running a 140, an ethernet switch and a Nucleus+ server and total power output never seems to reach 60 W. The P12 can output 1300 W. It can handle a 440 without the fan kicking in (see @audio_engr 's posts).

Thanks David!  That's exactly what I was looking for......not necessarily what I was looking for....though not what I was hoping for from a budget standpoint.  Great advantage of this group is people who have used the equipment keeping me from under buying then upgrading later which is more expensive in the long run.
Thanks to all the info I will have my P12 in the next week.  Should have been today but a snow storm curtailed the travel....No Canada jokes please!
                                    GTA, Canada
(11-Nov-2019, 22:11)Norty Wrote:
(08-Nov-2019, 11:52)Norty Wrote:

Thanks to all the info I will have my P12 in the next week.  Should have been today but a snow storm curtailed the travel....No Canada jokes please!

OK, no Canada jokes  :-)

Where I am in Brisbane in Australia, if I had received anything yesterday I probably wouldn't have been able to see to set it up because of all of the smoke from the fires in northern New South Wales south of me. Air quality here was rated as worse than Beijing yesterday because of the smoke. I think I'd take your snow storm over our fires.

I think you'll be very happy with the result when you get it.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia

Curious why you didn't try a Shunyata Venom or Denali given you have Shunyata cabling. I had a PS Audio P3 as I got a better result with a loan of Shunyata cabling alone and bought the Shunyata cabling and Venom.
250 Pro CI; Innuos Zen Mk3; Claro dual turntable (Expert Stylus Denon + OL Aladdin Mk2); RCM Sensor2; Wilson Sabrina; OePhi speaker cables; Puritan PM156 conditioner and Ultimate cables.
(18-Nov-2019, 00:21)ssfas Wrote: Curious why you didn't try a Shunyata Venom or Denali given you have Shunyata cabling. I had a PS Audio P3 as I got a better result with a loan of Shunyata cabling alone and bought the Shunyata cabling and Venom.

I actually wanted a Denalii but there was one small problem. This is Australia. For some reason, and the Australian distributor says that the problem is at the Shunyata end, the Denali still does not have Australian electrical certification for sale. I would have gone for a Denali if I could have got one. Instead what I got was tired of waiting for the Denali info on the  local distributors page on Shunyata products to be updated from saying "Coming Soon". After nearly 2 years of reading that I gave up and went for a PS 12. A year later that web page is still reading "Coming Soon". I'm very happy with the PS12.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia