Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Phantom Gold doesn't support 192/24, surprising answer from support??
@streamy , denis also pointed optical direct mode, I am new to this stuff so I should have misunderstood his post. I now come to the conclusion that optical direct feeds whatever is fed to the speaker directly to its DAC which supports upto 96kHz which is good enough. I previously though Analog/Optical jack input (Hi-Res: 24bits/48kHz) is limiting however Optical Direct Mode is something more in conjunction to using optical jack input, setting it in this mode using the app. Do I get it right this time?
The DAC actually supports 192kHz sampling rate AFAIK (as does ADH2/3), but I doubt that optical direct bypasses DOS and the 48kHz limit. I would LOVE to be proven wrong on this however!!
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
In new specs of Phantom I and II : 

Devialet DAC embedded in Devialet Intelligence Processor*
24 bits/96kHz

I think its a new DAC and not capable of 192kHz.
96 is OK for me if I could use it as 96 in streaming and other inputs (and I understand that I can use it as 96 with an  Optical Direct Mode connection only. 

*Note: 
Intelligence processor by the way, is probably what Devialet  says on Facebook:

All the audio processing and amplification is now held a single chip: SAM, DAC, Magic Wire, Class A, ADH... By optimizing them, we can achieve the best possible audio performance right across the frequency spectrum.
I asked about Reactor Custom to Devialet support a few days ago. The answer was: "Yes, the ADH3 can handle 192kHz on our product". ADH2 is used in Gold/Classic (and Silver) plus in the Expert Pro amps and can do 192kHz, but you might be right that the DAC in Phantom I is a 96kHz device.
96kHz in Phantoms would be fine for me too Smile
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
From reading many posts here in the forum and all so over in the Roon forum there are a number of things happening, depending on the different versions of Phantoms. The Phantom Golds of the first years 2016 to maybe 2019 accept through the optical input 24/192k. Phantom Silver and White Phantoms also accepted 24/192k. The Phantom Premier Classic replaced then the White Phantoms and the Silver Phantoms were not offered anymore, except for refurbished ones. We heard from a number of people with newer Phantoms Premier and lately also from Phantom Gold users that the optical only accepts 24/96k, same as the optical input from the Dialog. This probably has to do with lowers spect components. Since optical in general is originally specified to 24/96k by Sony the higher resolution only can be achieved with a careful design and better optical components/connectors. That’s where there can be a bottleneck in the latest Phantoms on the hardware. The Phantom Reactors were from beginning specified to 24/96k. Now Phantom Premiers (Gold and Classic) are Phantom I and Phantom Reactors are Phantom II. That they only accept 24/48k has to do with downsampling and not with the optical input electronics. Therefore we could assume that the direct optical mode plays at least 24/96k or even 24/192k. The internal DAQ of the Phantoms is a TI chip that can handle 24/192k PCM, as almost all DAQs can. It wouldn’t make any sense for Devialet not to continue to build in the current TI chip but an inferior chip as they are dead cheap. And why should they invest into making a different design only to disappoint their customers? I’m very sure that the specs limitation has to do with quality of service of wireless networks and therefore is related to software.
IMHO Devialet will at least explore a "hidden" setting to allow for a higher sample rate of 96kHz for people who want to try that out with their networking setup. Something like this could easily live on the web interface, so only those technically-inclined would even be confronted with the option.
Devialet Phantom Gold Duo | Devialet Phantom Reactor 600 Duo | 2x New Devialet Remote | 4x HiFiBerry RAAT endpoints & low-cost passive speakers — Roon Lifetime
(05-Feb-2021, 17:22)DesertEagleAZ Wrote: IMHO Devialet will at least explore a "hidden" setting to allow for a higher sample rate of 96kHz for people who want to try that out with their networking setup. Something like this could easily live on the web interface, so only those technically-inclined would even be confronted with the option.

I have asked them to keep Spark together with Dos1 as a download without updates. Lets see.
(05-Feb-2021, 17:22)DesertEagleAZ Wrote: IMHO Devialet will at least explore a "hidden" setting to allow for a higher sample rate of 96kHz for people who want to try that out with their networking setup. Something like this could easily live on the web interface, so only those technically-inclined would even be confronted with the option.

Agreed... how about when the phantom is connected via Ethernet aka not wireless it should support higher quality formats...
Just got my new gold today. Anyone can tell me how to check the sample rate for test later pls.
(05-Feb-2021, 21:31)TechGuy Wrote:

Agreed... how about when the phantom is connected via Ethernet aka not wireless it should support higher quality formats...

I insist that UPnP ethernet is 24/192, on the golds....