Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Phantom Gold doesn't support 192/24, surprising answer from support??
(15-Sep-2020, 13:50)ogs Wrote: I think Devialet has tried to clean up their web removing all references to 24/192 for Toslink. I fear 24/96 will be the new spec for Toslink. On Reactors too... maybe even new Expert amplifiers....

Anyone with Audirvana here? Is it stable with 24/192 material?

Reactor can play 24/192.
Zidoo z9x 미디어 플레이어 + Shield pro-> onkyo sc5530 프로세서-> rme adi2 fs (3ea)-> 광 케이블-> Devialet golds 3 (FL, FR, C) + silvers 2 (RR, RL) / 150 인치, Optoma Hoz60 .5ch.
(15-Sep-2020, 16:16)Lee inseok Wrote:
(15-Sep-2020, 13:50)ogs Wrote: I think Devialet has tried to clean up their web removing all references to 24/192 for Toslink. I fear 24/96 will be the new spec for Toslink. On Reactors too... maybe even new Expert amplifiers....

Reactor can play 24/192.

Pretty sure it can't....

Is this with DOS2 that Toslink is limited? Or is it a hardware limitation some experience? With DOS1 I have no problems to play 24/192k fed from a RPi over the optical input to both Silver and Gold Phantoms. It works stable for hours. Only the Dialog is limited to 24/96k.
No, nothing to do with DOS1 vs DOS2. Current Reactors can probably do 24/192 over Toslink, your Golds obviously can, but 24/192 was also specified for Phantom Premier Toslink. Now new Premiers struggle with anything over 24/96 according to the first post in this thread - and Devialet support has funny explanations for it.
When I tried a pair of (then) White Phantoms/Dialog many years ago I believe I played 24/192 material via Dialog Toslink, but I may be wrong...
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Hello,

Before, I was convinced that Golds are supporting 24 bits/192 kHz.
Just noticed that Technical specifications on new Web page are stating 24 bits/96 kHz

Perhaps this is downgrade effect of DOS 2 ?

Will be nice to get clear answer from support !

I’m still using Spark...

Best
Andrzej
If new Phantoms now only does 24/96 on the Toslink optical, Devialet has definitely changed (downgraded) the receiver part they use for this input. Quite a few Phantom owners here on Devialet Chat use 24/192 optical into their speakers so Phantoms did support up to 24/192. I really do not understand the background for this change. Roon RAAT is somewhere in the Phantom future and that will support 24/192 (I guess), but that future is maybe two years away or even worse... In the mean time Devialet should fix it's UPnP implementation to work properly with the LMS-to-uPnP plugin by philippe44 to give us a decent workaround.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
(12-Dec-2020, 23:42)ogs Wrote: If new Phantoms now only does 24/96 on the Toslink optical, Devialet has definitely changed (downgraded) the receiver part they use for this input. Quite a few Phantom owners here on Devialet Chat use 24/192 optical into their speakers so Phantoms did support up to 24/192. I really do not understand the background for this change. Roon RAAT is somewhere in the Phantom future and that will support 24/192 (I guess), but that future is maybe two years away or even worse... In the mean time Devialet should fix it's UPnP implementation to work properly with the LMS-to-uPnP plugin by philippe44 to give us a decent workaround.

The only hope to get consistent 24/192 res is Roon RAAT support or Tidal Connect... basically streaming(Wireless or Ethernet) and leverage the internal dac on the Phantom's....hopefully not too distant future for one of those standards to be supported...

After a lot of testing and research, the Toslink issue it's not a downgrade from Devialet(or other brands), its a quality assurance issue...24/192 over Toslink is pushing the boundaries of the connector, the vendor needs to be very careful when sourcing the hardware, testing, etc to achieve that res in a consistent way...the Toslink cable also needs to be "perfect" depending on your source...some of us might have been lucky and get a good batch of Toslink connectors, others not (my case).... because of that Devialet made the (wise) decision of stop promissing 24/192 over Toslink...and you will witness this has a common trend in the DAC world...if Devialet never upgrades to one of those standards, basically we are all stuck with pretty average but very expensive speakers...
Some time back I owned a Mutec MC-3+USB. Mutec confirmed to me that Toslink input and output on the MC-3 is specified to handle up to 192kHz. I believe that is still the case.
I think Devialet chose to change it's Toslink specification to 24/96 rather than going through the trouble of finding a supplier that could deliver Toslink connectors with 192kHz spec. As you suggest, it's not the S/P-DIF circuit that is the problem, it is most likely the connector (diode) itself. If it was the S/P-DIF circuit, also the coax I/O would be affected.
Devialetless!
About Phantom RAAT....  Heart

Quote:Hey… looks like the Phantom finally got the RAAT certification and will become Roon Ready with DOS 2.12 !!

The update is not available yet, but devialet pushed an update on their website a few days ago, that was since removed… but it was cached by google

Just google “devialet DOS 2.12 raat certified”

user denix on the Roon Forums
Devialet Phantom Gold Duo | Devialet Phantom Reactor 600 Duo | 2x New Devialet Remote | 4x HiFiBerry RAAT endpoints & low-cost passive speakers — Roon Lifetime
Hi, I am a newcomer in this forum.
Devialet website seems being renewed these days and classic phantoms seems to be renamed as Phantom I and reactor as Phantom II. Some links does not work yet though.
The differences are said to be aesthetics (matte finish, Led behind the speakers for status or so) and "enhanced" internal electronics but without any word on what the enhancement is.
One positive move is that now RMS powers are stated instead of ridiculously stating PMPO powers (this was downright embarrassing, so a good change of presentation). Now Reactor 900 (new II 98 dB) is stated as 400 watt RMS and Reactor 600 (new II 95 dB)  is stated as 350 watt RMS. Interesting that they are closer in RMS power that matters, the difference of %50 more on PMPO is just %14.3 in RMS. So this is a very positive move from Devialet.

Also, Phantom II (old Reactor 900) seems to be Airplay 2 compatible now.

On the negative side, I understand that Phantoms do not support neither streaming  nor optical in as 24bit/192kHz (per speaker) anymore at all. Phantom II specs show that it's DAC is 24bit/96kHz. Other inputs are rated even lower in their website if I am not mistaken, this is  confusing me, here I copy-paste info :

Airplay 2
Spotify Connect
Bluetooth : A2DP and AVRCP profiles, AAC, SBC audio codecs
Roon Ready (Hi-Res: 24bits/48kHz)
UPnP Renderer (Hi-Res: 24bits/48kHz)
Analog/Optical jack input (Hi-Res: 24bits/48kHz)

see here: (go click product specifications towards below, it open specifications and also click features once you are there)  https://www.devialet.com/en-us/phantom-s...8db-white/ (This is for old Reactor 900 or new Phantom II 98 dB)

I was torn between a  Reactor pair versus KEF LS50w II (and I would prefer yet ELAC Navis ARB-51 with a good streamer DAC but it's not available where I live). I did not have a chance to audition any of these yet, relying on online info I deduct that KEF is a bit brighter, more airy and less bassy although more than enough in all areas, my real concern being reliability of the electronics, as it seems people with such complaints are more than the users of other brands such as Devialet. As to the reactors, low frequencies can not be argued, some said mids and highs are not just perfect, and  from what I hear from the online reviews and side by side comparisons they sounded a bit boxy to me in mids mostly. Actual listening may be much different indeed. I do not listen to club music or much electronica, but listen to rock but also jazz and instrumental and classic music so mids and highs are also important to me. However I am not a knitpicking audiophile so I am sure Reactors would satisfy me anyway.

What do you think about the specs of Phantom II above, are they all new and downrated from Reactors?
Or am I missing or misunderstanding something? Will I be able to play 24vit/192kHz files streaming or connecting a cable?
Is it possible that they enhanced mids and highs with some internal electronics upgrade?

Thank you