Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom connectivity
Hi

I have two unopened phantom silvers sitting in my house, but I have been reading about endless connectivity problems needing resets and causing dropouts with very poor support. Also cases cracking and yellowing. What are the experiences of phantom owners on the forum?
Well just read the forum... Mine are yellowing but no other problems (yet) I am happy with my phantoms but not happy with spark app
(24-Oct-2016, 17:10)Woodman Wrote: Hi

I have two unopened phantom silvers sitting in my house, but I have been reading about endless connectivity problems needing resets and causing dropouts with very poor support. Also cases cracking and yellowing. What are the experiences of phantom owners on the forum?

They are great!!
Connectivity is indeed a problem with them still boxed, and they sound a trifle muffled that way too.
(24-Oct-2016, 19:46)Gremlin Wrote: Connectivity is indeed a problem with them still boxed, and they sound a trifle muffled that way too.

Lol ;-)

Seriously though, I have had my Phantoms for just over 2 weeks now. Streaming they are flawless. And the sound is awesome. I just love the bass they produce... I am a Techno lover, so I know (at least a bit) what I am talking about... However, connected through the Toslink connector, I have experienced short drops in sound <1s several times an hour. I tried with a Toslink matrix and directly connected to all my devices individually, but the drops occur in all configurations so I am pretty sure it's in the Devialet equipment... The drops are annoying, but I guess I can live with them for now.

If you can live with a short drop in sound every, say, 10 minutes you are fine. If you can't live with that and don't want to stream, well then I guess there may be a problem...
2 Phantom Gold's + Dialog. Sony Bravia TV + Mopidy server (Mac Mini playing from a network connected 4bay QNAP NAS) + Minix Neo U1 + Lindy A/D convertor connected through a Lindy 4x1 Optical switch.
I think you could return then, buy something else for 10 times the price, and not get as good of a sound. The only exception I could think of would be to return them for 2 golds. Even then you would have the same issues.

Listen to music streaming Tidal thru dialog. Just check that you are still on FLAC instead of "best Quality" or ACC every other song until they get that problem solved (hopefully in the near future.

Forget about cables, amps, pre amps, computers, NAS, streamers, cd players, turntables, radios, TV, or blue ray. Just enjoy the music and bribe your neighbors not call the law on you.

The Phantoms are that good!!!
I have no issues with the sound, they blew me away, but dropping out every ten minutes will drive me mad.

The dealer suggested ethernet connection to avoid this, but the whole point was to have them wireless.
I reckon with some forums you tend to get see all the issues and not the hundreds of happy customers that have nothing to complain about or post!!

Connectivity wise, my gut feel is that when you stretch the boundaries of the Dialog's wifi or PLC connection you run into troubles. As for what defines "stretching the boundaries" depends so much on your local environment (heaps of local wifi, power points on separate breakers, noisy power lines, other PLC devices on same circuit etc).

My Phantoms and Dialog are all connected on an un-filtered powerboard and connect via PLC. Once set up, I've never had an issue. No dropouts, disconnections, blips or farts :-)

Only time I've done a reset was after we had a power outage. But once a full resert was done and a new setup - stable ever since.

The other half of the problem that seems to come up is due to network / internet issues. If you have a half decent router in the house, you should be fine. The crap ones supplied by your internet/phone company usually don't cut it in my opinion.

Pull them out - set them up - sit back and enjoy the music. They are something to behold....
I have no problems with dropouts and everything is wireless by plc and i have one toslink from my tv to the left phantom and then also no dropouts
My pair connected by PLC through Spark has no issues. I had occasional dropouts by toslink to Dialog even with the current software but the same toslink cable connected directly to a phantom has no dropouts.