Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom speaker web server
(02-Jan-2020, 17:02)rogmay Wrote:
(02-Jan-2020, 13:12)struts Wrote:
(02-Jan-2020, 04:57)rogmay Wrote: I do not know how to send pictures of my two Gold Phantom web browser screenshot through this site Reply form?

Under the box where you type your reply you will see a box called Attachments.  Select the screen shot with Choose Files button and then click "Add Attachment" to upload it.
Check the link for the web browser info? Also would you please answer my question about how to select optical input in DOS2 environnemement (Whitout Dialog) and what will be the highest resolution using this input?
Could I use the Ethernet RJ45 to send audio too ? What protocol? How could I select a specifed 5 ghz wifi chanel for my set of phantom?
Devialet does not provide any further technical infos about  their product?

Hi rogmay,

Some answers inline below.

Check the link for the web browser info?  <Sorry, which link do you mean?  Can you just let me know what your Phantoms report for Model and Version when you http into them and select the About tab?

Also would you please answer my question about how to select optical input in DOS2 environnemement (Whitout Dialog) and what will be the highest resolution using this input?  <In the app under AUX you can select OPTICAL (LEFT) or OPTICAL (RIGHT), the highest resolution is 24/96

Could I use the Ethernet RJ45 to send audio too ? What protocol? <Yes, over UPnP up to 24/192

How could I select a specifed 5 ghz wifi chanel for my set of phantom? <Just give your 5GHz network a different SSID (name) to the 2.4 GHz network and configure it to the channel you want in your router.  Then connect the Phantoms to the 5 GHz network in the app.

Devialet does not provide any further technical infos about  their product? <Yes I agree, the information Devialet provides is a bit patchy!
My right speaker (web-browser/ about tag) : Model Gold Phantom
                                                                 M30P002754U10
                                                                 Version: 2.8.0 (2.8.0.49152)
My Left speaker                                        : Model Gold Phantom
                                                                 M37P000874U06
                                                                 Version: 2.8.5 (2.8.5.49152)

So for sure you said that the optical input max out to 24/96 ? And to select, just click the Left optical input in the Devialet App (DOS2)

So the only way to get to 24/192 is to get wired RJ45 ??  upnp over wireless WIFI does not go 24/192?
When wired with DOS2 , do I plug both Phantom to the router or switch or only one? Could I have advantage to plug the two ?

Is there a real benefit to use the phantom on 5 Ghz network compare than 2.4 Ghz ?
(03-Jan-2020, 05:08)rogmay Wrote: My right speaker (web-browser/ about tag) : Model Gold Phantom
                                                                 M30P002754U10
                                                                 Version: 2.8.0 (2.8.0.49152)
My Left speaker                                        : Model Gold Phantom
                                                                 M37P000874U06
                                                                 Version: 2.8.5 (2.8.5.49152)

So for sure you said that the optical input max out to 24/96 ? And to select, just click the Left optical input in the Devialet App (DOS2)

So the only way to get to 24/192 is to get wired RJ45 ??  upnp over wireless WIFI does not go 24/192?
When wired with DOS2 , do I plug both Phantom to the router or switch or only one? Could I have advantage to plug the two ?

Is there a real benefit to use the phantom on 5 Ghz network compare than 2.4 Ghz ?

Hi @rogmay,

Thanks.  So your speakers are reporting the same model/fw version in the web interface as via the app, just wanted to check.  I really have no idea why they are stuck on different firmware versions, let's see whether Devialet Support can push an update to M30.

So for sure you said that the optical input max out to 24/96 ?

> I did say that but thinking back to how I reached this conclusion I have to retract it as I can't be certain it is correct.  I tested this a long time ago with a friend's USB-to-Toslink converter (that he no longer has) and I can't now be certain that it was actually outputting 24/192 via the optical out.  So maybe my observed max of 24/96 could have been a limitation of the sender not the receiver or some other flaw in the test.  @ragwo, you use optical iirc, can you confirm whether the optical input on the Phantoms can accept 24/192?

And to select, just click the Left optical input in the Devialet App (DOS2)

>Yes

> I never said that.  I am sending 24/192 from Audirvana using UPnP over Wifi to my Phantom Golds with no problems (to be exact the network is wired from the NAS to the Mac, but wireless to both Phantoms which I have forced to Wifi in the app).  However both speakers are less than 4m from and have line-of-sight to my access point.  YMMV.

> There has been much discussion about this in the "Audiophile Grade" Ethernet Switches thread down in the Streaming section as well as other threads here.  I think the answer is that it very much depends on how well your wireless network is performing.  Safest with hi res material is to wire both speakers.  Per above I can confirm that having both connected wirelessly can also work reliably, although I haven't compared this with wired to one or both speakers from a SQ perspective.

> No more than the inherent benefits of 5 GHz over 2.4 GHz such as potentially less congestion (if you live in an apartment block for instance and can "see" many other access points) and less interference from other 2.4 GHz devices like cordless phones, bluetooth devices, baby monitors etc.

Hope this clarifies!
@struts @rogmay
24/192 is working fine over TosLink.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(03-Jan-2020, 15:32)ragwo Wrote: @struts @rogmay
24/192 is working fine over TosLink.

Thanks @ragwo, Happy New Year!
Hi Struts, 
I wish to thank you very much, to date; your my top notch helper with my new experience with Devialet Brand because
Devialet "we love love you" Customer care is quasi- inexistent (in my case).

I do not know if I am alone and unlucky with my Devialet software experience or a lot a people could say that Devialet and all their superlative words stunt:
as Best in the world... sound !! and so On with zero everything ...distortion... I could give them a zero in software for a speaker of that caliber and cost the software is not
at the same level!!

I think ; that having only one simplify every thing because when I separate my pair everything work fine. But since I decided to buy a new one ( a week later) to get a real spatial
stereo sound, problems started.
At that time I noticed on the app that my two Gold Phantom was not running the same software after completing the App setup, after that the App ask for an upgrade on my left speaker to 
2.8.5 ; my other one was always staying at 2.8.0 ( problem not fixed yet).

After some speakers reset / App reset ( deleted/ re-loaded); I was able to listen to Tidal in stereo in Airplay; but in Airplay only from my iPhone ; so when your iPhone is down or you 
receive a call ; the music stopped. And Airplay is also CD quality and my Tidal account have Master Higher resolution title that I would like to listen.

So I decide to reset everything and re-start all over again but this time all wired through Ethernet using an Apple airport bridge and a Netgear switch on my living room.
In my switch ,I connected both Gold Phantom and my Airport Bridge so this normally complete an wired Network between the speaker and the bridge connected to 5 Ghz WIFI to my 
Apple Airport Extreme in my basement.

Everything is seen as wired network on my Airport Utilities.

This morning I open my Devialet App to do some music listening ; My right speaker was missing... disappear from yesterday ... RIGHT PHANTOM (!) the icon with a QUOTE mark aside;
but on the App , you could not just press the missing speaker icon to help you out! There is no link to help you ... so I have to reset everything again... and paring them again in stereo...
of course this took me about 3 reset not just one!

So I have also re-open my Devialet App ; everything seems ok ; First check open Tidal app ; select Airplay; see the listing ; yes THE PHANTOM LIVING selection was there; select it ;
my iPhone pop me an notification ;impossible to connect to Airplay connect to PHANTOM LIVING !!! First Strike
Next; I will tried my optical output from my external streamer; put it on ; select Toslink output ; ok ; verified; go back to the deviate App ; see my Phantom stereo pair icon; press on both
icon to hear their distinctive sound to confirm they react; ok; but on the App the Icon of the my Right Phantom is fade and in the bottom of the same screen I have (again) Phantom Right Missing with an annotation Mark (!)... lost again  Get out of the App and In and my Right Phantom Show up again ( not missing) WTF !
Try to select AUX ; optical; Left ( where my optical fiber is plugged into the Left Gold Phantom) ; unable to select Optical Left button ; pushing it do nothing... Strike 2

So, my sadly conclusion is ; The Devialet Gold Phantom is a stunning High End speaker when working but the software controlling it is so BAD ; A World Best Sounding Speaker, As Devialet
said is controlling by a World less functioning Software !!

I did test the LS50W KEF system ; with a very good easy to use software ; EQ to adjust their sound; Expert mode to tweak their sound; Everything was working and stable on WIFI no drop out no lost.... direct out of the box!  An example of a good research and good software team ... 
Why Devialet and as they said... the best well funded ($$$) startup... ; They did not pay well their software engineer ...??

Before I was listening my music on all wired system with active speakers that I missed now , I used B&O system with Beolab 9, I've told myself that I should go Digital Streaming Hi-res
file instead of CD playing... so I've sold my Beolab 9 and bought first one and two Gold Phantom... stand...and last week  bought a Ethernet Swicht to try to improve stability bought some ethernet CAT7 cable... To make a reliable Devialet Gold Phantom wired network; and now everything is worst than before ...Why ?

How the left Phantom communicate with the Right one ? ( if Ethernet plugged) Through Ethernet ? Power line ?)

Now I am still at case 1 ; nothing work ; airplay does not work; optical does not work! And I really tired to unplug everything an do it over again! Since I've bought them I lost
numerous hours of debugging and lost of time instead of listening music.

I do not know if someone will be able to show me how to fix that... because my month old speaker set  will go on sale !! I do not care to spent lot of money on very good well engineered 
product backed by well engineered software solution but Devialet as I see them, in practice , is not "we love you-customer care" as they said !
I did another reset and I was able to get my optical input by itself ( my toslink was already plugged and active into my left Phantom.
I just reset my first Left and after the speaker was visible again in the Devialet App ; the Devialet App show Optical Left as input selected; I just did the same with the Right
and both Speaker was visible in the App and music sounded Right and Left from my optical source.

But it reset by itself sometimes ; the Left shut down (no sound) do the beeping reset sound by itself ( not being unplugged) and the music playback again on both speakers!

Now that the optical (AUX) selected ; both of my Phantom is not available for optional Airplay ; I could not use Airplay !

Normally does the Devialet App Permit source change whitout resetting by itself?

I will continue to do testing...

I never lost so much time with new speakers ... instead of listening to them !

Thanks so much and Happy new Year ( I wish us  a better state of the art software package from Devialet in 2020 !!)
for all Forum users.
So I just thinking... maybe if you plugged your Gold Phantom in a wired network you loose Airplay ( for Devialet)?
Because normally, with Apple Airplay, the iPhone communicate through the WIFI network to the router and the router see the wired network ;
and see the connected Gold Phantom.

Does for Devialet ; once Phantom plugged through Ethernet they deactivate the WIFI and that is for that ; the Airplay not working?

I do not know , I just want to understand the way the Gold phantom communicate with the router or the other Phantom; because Devialet does not
want to give the "White Papers" or only basic information of the Phantom; do not know why ?

Thanks
(04-Jan-2020, 21:43)rogmay Wrote: So I just thinking... maybe if you plugged your Gold Phantom in a wired network you loose Airplay ( for Devialet)?
Because normally, with Apple Airplay, the iPhone communicate through the WIFI network to the router and the router see the wired network ;
and see the connected Gold Phantom.

Does for Devialet ; once Phantom plugged through Ethernet they deactivate the WIFI and that is for that ; the Airplay not working?

I do not know , I just want to understand the way the Gold phantom communicate with the router or the other Phantom; because Devialet does not
want to give the "White Papers" or only basic information of the Phantom; do not know why ?

Thanks

I'm appalled you're having such a tough time @rogmay, as my speakers have been working fine since the upgrade to DOS 2 and they're 3 years old now!  It's ridiculous that customers are having such diverse experiences, I can only imagine your frustration!

Regarding your questions above AirPlay is a streaming protocol that runs over UDP/RSTP which are both IP-based.  What that means is that AirPlay runs more-or-less identically over wired and wireless internet networks.  Of course from an iPhone the connection will be wireless, but I also use AirPlay from an iMac and from my Roon core to an Apple TV and Airport Expresses and it works identically regardless of whether they are connected via wired or wireless connection.  I do remember reading somewhere that when the Phantoms are connected via a wired connection they will favour this for their own internal connection (i.e. in a L-R pair) over PLC and Wifi which makes sense.  But there is no way connecting the Phantoms with a wired connection should disable AirPlay!  

Again, my only theory is that your problems are somehow related to the firmware version mismatch between your speakers as I find it strange that speakers made so recently and such a short time apart should be on such different versions.  I hope Devialet responds to your ticket soon!
Hi,

After connecting my new bought Coax to Toslink adapter ; I've plug that to my left Gold Phantom from my Beosound 9000 Bang & Olufsen CD Digital output source; I could enjoy my AUX input from my Gold.
But when I disconnect my Gold Phantom (left) ; I loose everything ( that's normal) but when my left Gold woke up (with the distinctive sound) my stereo setup is back but resetting itself again ( after minutes) shutting down and re-come back and playing normally! Is this normal to have this double reset ; and when my left do the second reset itself, is making a "cruk-cruk"  distinctive sound! But after that everything play back normally!

I called Devialet ( France) they finally gave me the forced software upgrade for my right Gold stuck at 2.8.0 ; now my
both speakers show the 2.8.5 firmware upgrade.
Thomas (from Devialet) told me that they are working hard on a newer software version that will give owners better experience and controls (EQ) !

This morning I try the airplay with my iPhone (Tidal) and it works. Now the only thing that I did not test is the UPNP ( that was not working before).

I will call back Devialet for an explanation about power usage of the Phantom, normally european electronic manufacturer are well known to be eco-energetic, my previously own  KEF LS50W ,  got an automatic option to put them in eco-mode reducing their power requirement in standby mode.

I did other testing in this area: My left M37***4U06 ; Unplugged - plug ; 16.4 w ; wake-up (sound) 24w ; return to 16.4 w and stay there with no source selected.
                                             My right M30***4U10; Unplugged - plug ; 0 w; wake-up (sound) rise from 0-5.8 w to   24w and after seconds (no source selected goes back to 5.8W !

Is that normal for both Gold Phantom speakers (16.4w vs 5.8w) this kind of discrepancy between the two speakers? my last Beolab 9 (B&O) active speakers (700W) had only 0.5 W of standby electric power consumption !

It mean to me that Devialet do not force them to a real standby mode when no music connected to them because 5.8w and 16.4w is very too high to be a energy standby figure number !

Thanks