Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom vs XXX
Wonderful. Super excited. I'll am heading down to get myself a pair tomorrow. Now... White, Silver or Gold  Rolleyes Rolleyes
(04-Sep-2016, 21:49)Mr_Bill Wrote: Ragwo, did you have a conventional high end system before your Phantims?

I had a pair of Sonus Faber Extrema, two REL Studio, Krell KSA 300s amp, Cary SLP-03 pre (earlier a Conrad Johnson Act 2 series 2) , Wyred 4 Sound DAC 2, ASR Mini Basis mkII and a heavily modified Technics SL 1210 with Ortofon Cadenza Blue. Some of it might be high end, some of it not. I've had various models of Vienna Acoustics speakers ranging from Haydn Grand SE to Mahler mk II with the same electronics. Shure, I miss the airy treble and the magical mids of the SF Extrema, the earth chattering bass of the Studios, but I do not miss the cable mess, the 85 C hot Krell when playing loud and the size of the subwoofers. 
The Phantom is an excellent speaker but of course it has its limitations. I still think it's a steal for the price.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
(05-Sep-2016, 18:04)Nl88 Wrote: Wonderful. Super excited. I'll am heading down to get myself a pair tomorrow. Now... White, Silver or Gold  Rolleyes Rolleyes

Gold, no doubt about that! Big Grin
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
ogs
(05-Sep-2016, 18:04)Nl88 Wrote: Wonderful. Super excited. I'll am heading down to get myself a pair tomorrow. Now... White, Silver or Gold  Rolleyes Rolleyes

Gold, no doubt about that! Big Grin

The only reason why I am holding back for the gold is because I read somewhere in this forum that the golds could be refurbished "whites" as they have the same white plastic woofers and "chromed" side plates. Don't know if it's really a coincidence or conspiracy. Huh

As the gold phantoms were launched recently, there is a lack of proper comparison online. My only worry is after purchasing it and reviews state that the silvers were actually much better. But since most of yOu guys in this forum truly felt a realistic difference and not a psychological difference, then I most likely would go for it.
...besides all the new stuff inside the Gold there is an Airplay chip that can be quite useful at times ... that chip should be activated with the next firmware update.
(05-Sep-2016, 19:09)ragwo Wrote:
(04-Sep-2016, 21:49)Mr_Bill Wrote: Ragwo, did you have a conventional high end system before your Phantims?

I had a pair of Sonus Faber Extrema, two REL Studio, Krell KSA 300s amp, Cary SLP-03 pre (earlier a Conrad Johnson Act 2 series 2) , Wyred 4 Sound DAC 2, ASR Mini Basis mkII and a heavily modified Technics SL 1210 with Ortofon Cadenza Blue. Some of it might be high end, some of it not. I've had various models of Vienna Acoustics speakers ranging from Haydn Grand SE to Mahler mk II with the same electronics. Shure, I miss the airy treble and the magical mids of the SF Extrema, the earth chattering bass of the Studios, but I do not miss the cable mess, the 85 C hot Krell when playing loud and the size of the subwoofers. 
The Phantom is an excellent speaker but of course it has its limitations. I still think it's a steal for the price.

Could't agree with you more. I'm done with fiddling with huge power cords, interconnects & calling upon my mates to help move hefty spiked speakers around. The gold's are great value both in time & money!

I'm expecting nice savings in my electrical bill too ️️
Hi guys,

As mentioned, I got myself a set of phantom gold today.
Setup was a Breeze. I'm using both tidal and Spotify connect.
One thing I notice, in Spotify Connect mode, there is no night-mode to reduce the bass.

Secondly, compared to my measly DynAudio Dm2/7 paired with Naim 5i, I find that the phantoms sound much fuller I Guess it's due to the lower frequencies. However, for the vocals and mid range, strangely I find that my DynAudio entry level DM2/7 strangely sounds much sweeter and the soundstage also feels much wider. The phantoms also sound very centralised. Is there a possibility of this even happening?

Is there a problem with my setup ? Do I need to get the TREE stand ? Currently it's sitting on the same ISOAcoustic Aperta as my DynAudio bookshelves. Any tips on how to improve the performance of the Phantoms?
I think the night mode is within the Spark app.
Synology DS215 NAS (2x WD RED 1Tb) > Virgin Superhub 3 > HP Pavilion X360 laptop > Phantom Reactor 600 > JRiver MC25 > JRemote > A&K AK70mkii DAP > Supra Cat8 Ethernet cable > Sony WH-1000XM4 > jar of cream v2
Just installed my 2 Phantoms today and for me they are awesome. My old (30years) amp bit the dust a year ago and instead of replacing it and getting new speakers (they are just as old) - I opted for the Phantoms value wise if you got nothing to start with they are a steal and the WAF (wife approval factor) is huge compared to a traditional setup. Will get a Sonos Connect at the end of the month to tie it all together (already got a couple of Sonos spread over the rooms, Phantom in the living room). Would have gone for all Phantom but that would be silly and I don't have the cash for 5 of them.
Do u all toe in your phantoms ?