Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Phantom vs XXX
(06-Sep-2016, 23:47)Nl88 Wrote: Do u all toe in your phantoms ?

With 2 Silvers and Branches, I don't toe in my phantoms.
(06-Sep-2016, 15:47)Nl88 Wrote: Hi guys,
Secondly, compared to my measly DynAudio Dm2/7 paired with Naim 5i, I find that the phantoms sound much fuller I Guess it's due to the lower frequencies. However, for the vocals and mid range, strangely I find that my DynAudio entry level DM2/7 strangely sounds much sweeter and the soundstage also feels much wider. The phantoms also sound very centralised. Is there a possibility of this even happening?

Is there a problem with my setup ? Do I need to get the TREE stand ? Currently it's sitting on the same ISOAcoustic Aperta as my DynAudio bookshelves. Any tips on how to improve the performance of the Phantoms?

NI88,

I don't have Phantoms, but I did also have a Naim Nait previously (a Nait3) and I used ProAc Tabletts for quite a while. I wanted to offer a thought about the character of the sound. The Naim amps do have, in my opinion, a slight 'darkness' that can give the lower midrange a bit of a warmth, or a slightly seductive air. I think that the Naim amps also tend to slightly subdue the top end of the treble range. Not a lot, but I found that the top end was pleasing but slightly ... muted. The combination of the two aspects can emphasize the mids.

The other thought is that a mid/ woofer of 10 - 15 cm or so can work magic with vocals. The tablets certainly did have a vocal presence that was often remarkable. So, a warm-ish, mid-forward amp and a mid-capable speaker would certainly have a specific sonic presentation. Shy on the bottom but rich in the mids. 

The Phantoms have a very extended frequency response, and so will give you probably a more honest and complete reproduction. Not just in the bass but top to bottom. Inevitably the mids will seem less pronounced with the fuller range of reproduction. 

I would also say to give them 50 or 60 hours of time before sitting down to do serious listening. My D120 absolutely did change after about 50 hours. The change was all in the top end, which became less metallic, by a small but discernible degree. I can't recall if others found their Phantoms changed over time, but it is certainly worth keeping in mind.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
(07-Sep-2016, 03:14)Damon Wrote:
(06-Sep-2016, 15:47)Nl88 Wrote: Hi guys,
Secondly, compared to my measly DynAudio Dm2/7 paired with Naim 5i, I find that the phantoms sound much fuller I Guess it's due to the lower frequencies. However, for the vocals and mid range, strangely I find that my DynAudio entry level DM2/7 strangely sounds much sweeter and the soundstage also feels much wider. The phantoms also sound very centralised. Is there a possibility of this even happening?

Is there a problem with my setup ? Do I need to get the TREE stand ? Currently it's sitting on the same ISOAcoustic Aperta as my DynAudio bookshelves. Any tips on how to improve the performance of the Phantoms?

NI88,

I don't have Phantoms, but I did also have a Naim Nait previously (a Nait3) and I used ProAc Tabletts for quite a while. I wanted to offer a thought about the character of the sound. The Naim amps do have, in my opinion, a slight 'darkness' that can give the lower midrange a bit of a warmth, or a slightly seductive air. I think that the Naim amps also tend to slightly subdue the top end of the treble range. Not a lot, but I found that the top end was pleasing but slightly ... muted. The combination of the two aspects can emphasize the mids.

The other thought is that a mid/ woofer of 10 - 15 cm or so can work magic with vocals. The tablets certainly did have a vocal presence that was often remarkable. So, a warm-ish, mid-forward amp and a mid-capable speaker would certainly have a specific sonic presentation. Shy on the bottom but rich in the mids. 

The Phantoms have a very extended frequency response, and so will give you probably a more honest and complete reproduction. Not just in the bass but top to bottom. Inevitably the mids will seem less pronounced with the fuller range of reproduction. 

I would also say to give them 50 or 60 hours of time before sitting down to do serious listening. My D120 absolutely did change after about 50 hours. The change was all in the top end, which became less metallic, by a small but discernible degree. I can't recall if others found their Phantoms changed over time, but it is certainly worth keeping in mind.

Thank u for your assurance !

What u said does make some sense. I'll run it in for awhile before doing another proper evaluation!

By the way, do u guys see any benefits of getting either a Sonos Connect or Denon Heos Link to use as a streamer connected via optical to the dialog ? Assuming I'm either going Sonos route or Denon route in future, will there be a lag between my other multi room speakers vs the Phantom ?
Please let us know your thoughts about the sound after a few weeks.

On the Sonos question, I have and use a Sonos Connect. Not for the stunning sound quality, but because I need to run a separate power amp, in parallel with my Devialet, for wall-mounted speakers in the kitchen. The Connect allows me to link seamlessly to a Sonos Amp to run the kitchen speakers.

The other advantage is that the Sonos gives access to many streaming services. We use about five sources, but Deezer Elite mostly, which is as good as, or almost indistinguishable, from Tidal. (The Sonos may be the weak link here again). But even if Tidal is better, their music selection is too limited for me.

My Connect goes into my D120 via optical, and there is no lag between the signal going into the Dev and the signal going into the Sonos Amp. The sound in the living room and the kitchen are perfectly in sync. That may be similar to your question about potential lag. But again, I don't have a Phantom or a Dialog, so I'm giving an opinion that may or may not be helpful.

I don't know the Denon product, but it is worth looking into.
Damon
Powernode, NAD M32, Cambridge CD transport, Analysis Plus, Nordost, iFi Nova, CSS Criton 1TDX, KEF C62
Vancouver, Canada
I use a Sonos Connect into my Le 400 and another one into an old Creek amp in my kitchen setup. 
I love the sound quality, especially when run through my Mutec in the lounge system.  As Damon says, there is no lag between the two systems
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England