Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Phathom+turnable+sonos
A very interesting article...
I know a few of us searching for a solution with turnables.

https://www.stevehuffphoto.com/vinyl-nir...heres-how/
(24-Jul-2020, 16:10)eladeb Wrote: A very interesting article...
I know a few of us searching for a solution with turnables.

https://www.stevehuffphoto.com/vinyl-nir...heres-how/

Thank you for the link. I'm currently using a Parks Audio Puffin riaa with a S/PDIF output and a Cypress DTC-2 S/PDIF to Toslink converter when playing on the Phantoms. Sounds excellent and I can recommend it wholeheartedly. 
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
@ragwo
Was trying to find the a2d your referred to only find this one.
http://en.cypress.com.tw/store/catalog/a...udio-Delay
If you can share a link...
Im trying to figure out if there's any good vs bed a2d converters.
Like the dtc 4t vs sonos connect a2d.
The A/D conversion is done by the Parks Audio Puffin. All the RIAA equalization and a bunch of wizardry is done by DSP. I've used a couple of different A/D's in the past, first one was the Cypress DCT-4, which is now discontinued and replaced by the DCT-4N. Here's the link to the product page:
http://en.cypress.com.tw/store/catalog/a...-Converter

Before I bought the Parks Audio Puffin I used a RME ADI-2 for the A/D conversion. It sounds a bit better than the DCT-4 and supports a higher output bitrate, up to 24/192. It's also discontinued.
My Phantom Voyage
@ragwo
I thought of buying used Sonos connect for 180$ to do the a/d.

Got into the specs of the puffin...10x
So basically you soldered the spdif rca yourself.
How did you pass from coaxial to opticl?

And if the puffin is not a overkill since you passing it for the phantom DAC ?

Thanks !

Overview

The Puffin preamp only has analog inputs and outputs. Some users have requested a digital output in order to use their own external DAC. This mod adds an RCA coaxial output with 48kHz 24-bit SPDIF which bypasses the Puffin's internal DAC. Note that due to PLL clock limitations, the Puffin's 96kHz sampling gets downsampled at the SPDIF port to 48kHz, but all other Puffin processing is done at 96kHz which alleviates any aliasing issues.

Summary
This is a pretty easy and straight-forward DIY mod for the Puffin to add a digital RCA coaxial output, suitable for connection to an external DAC. Soldering is required. It adds a new chassis mounted RCA connector to the rear of the Puffin's enclosure. This then connects two wires to a voltage divider made of two axial resistors soldered to the micro board header. Then a special version of the shipping firmware must be flashed to the micro. This new firmware permits switching between Analog and SPDIF outputs (only one output works at a time).
I'm using a Cypress DTC-2 for the coax to toslink conversion. The Parks Audio Puffin is doing both the A/D conversion and RIAA equalization, so you can get rid of your old phono preamp. The coax spdif mod is done in less than 30 minutes, but you could also buy the Puffin with the spdif output if you do not want to tinker.
My Phantom Voyage
@ragwo
The Parks Audio Puffin looks amazing.
Since you had set up with the puffin and without.
Can you tell if its worth the money/audio performance?
(02-Aug-2020, 15:16)eladeb Wrote: @ragwo
The Parks Audio Puffin looks amazing.
Since you had set up with the puffin and without.
Can you tell if its worth the money/audio performance?
It's definitely worth the money in my opinion. I've ditched an ASR Mini Basis Mk2 for it, and I don't regret it. The noise floor is lower, the Puffin sounds just as good and is more versatile than the Mini Basis, even if the ASR is very versatile. The ASR cost twice the price of the Puffin, and still you'll need an A/D converter with a standard phono amp. I used the first generation RME ADI-2 for A/D conversion and it did a great job, but it adds to the cost. The Puffin even handles LOMC cartridges, and few phono amps in that price range does that.

Edit:
The Puffin's digital output is only 24/48 but it's sufficient for me.
My Phantom Voyage
Hi
I too am planing to get a turntable for my phantom gold. I have a option of buying the project digital or get a Sonos connect and get a regular turn table ..
Since I will be paying extra for Sonos connect I Wanted  to know  Will the Sonos have a better a2d ( sonically) than the a2d Built in the Pro-Ject and is there an added advantage with Sonos in terms of app and features when compared to phantom DOS2
Thanks
Hi @bluestar
I followed @ragwo and ordered the puffin audio.
And after a long (long) searches ordered the Fluance r85 turnable.
So i cant comment on the Sonos but as you can see from the article i shared above seems like its a great combination.

Thr puffin preamp seems like an amazing choice in about 500$.