Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please, share your Phantom stereo setup (including source)
Hi all,

I'm thinking of getting a Gold Phantom duo, but I'm afraid of getting not the wisest source for my digital library, since I'm not experienced.

Please, try to avoid posting Tidal, etc as a source. That's like going to the movies, and calling that setup yours, for the length of the movie. Tongue

I'm wondering if something like a Mac Mini, controlled by an ipad, is a wise setup that's possible and a lot of people would recommend.

My external HDD's are configured as NTFS, I think, so maybe Macs only accept FAT32? Then maybe something like a NUC, instead?

I don't know. Please, post also your connections for highest resolution possible for the Phantoms.

Thanks!
I do not own phantoms yet, but I am seriously considering a pair. Rumour has it that Roon will support Phantom at some point. Presumably Roon will see Dialog (not phantoms directly) as endpoint - hopefully full RAAT - on ethernet of course.
In the meantime I'd use my Mutec MC3+ USB to either connect to Dialog or one of the Phantoms via optical. I am sure this will sound good. The re-clocking of the Mutec should be as effective here as it is elsewhere.
With a Mutec you'd be able to use the USB output of your Mac Mini and control playback and your choice of play back software with your iPad. If your Mac Mini has an optical output you may even connect this directly to Dialog/Phantom, but I would think a device like the Mutec would really improve sound in this scenario too.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
I currently have my two Golds with my TV output to the Dialog optical and all sources going into the TV via HDMI. My TV has enough audio correction that I don't have any lag and can play xbox without any issues. The right Gold has a Blusound Node 2 connected via optical and the left has a Pro-Ject turntable with optical out connected via optical. Through the TV I can watch all the built-in apps (YoutubeTV, Plex, Netflix, Amazon Video), xbox one x, AppleTV and have the delay dialed in perfect (or near as I can tell) for each source. I use the Node 2 and turntable with fixed volume at max. I use the Spark app anytime I want to change sources and the speakers don't auto select the right one (fairly often). I have the Devialet remote on my coffee table and it does all the volume control regardless of input. I use the Blusound OS app for all streaming duty (Spotify, Tidal, local files on NAS).
I use Tidal on my iphone via wifi (Spark)
And turntable via optical into a phantom
All sounds great - going from silver to golds has taken streaming a step closer to vinyl for me, so am listening more and more via tidal which I never thought would happen
Yummy
I have my TV tuner connected to the Dialog, a Chord Blu CD transport connected to one of the speaker optical inputs and play music off my computer files or Qobuz from a Macbook Pro which I am using anyway in here.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

Thank you, all!

These answers will keep me busy thinking, and researching, before I decide to ask further questions.

Keep them coming if you wish to!

Thanks!
i´ve got a 8x8 hdmi matrix with coaxial audio output running. The dialog is connected by toslik, which is converted from coaxial audio. (digital)
HDMI inputs are: playstation 4, PC, sat selevision and fireTV.

Sat Receiver has setup a negative delay from -120ms. So the videosignal is lipsync to audio.
i also have a audio-converter wich makes a positive delay for 120ms. This helps me to play the same inputs on different zones and speakers synchronized to the phantoms.
I have a Chromecast Audio connected to one of the speakers, and an optical switch connected to the Dialog. A PS3, NUC with my flacs, Oppo 103 and an AD converter for my turntable is connected to the switch. A Chromecast is connected to one of the HDMI inputs on the Oppo. Still having some periodically lipsync issues when using Phantoms for movies.
Living room: Kii Three/BXT with Control.
Den: Tannoy Precision 8 iDP with TS112 iDP subwoofer.
In the cupboard, waiting for a sibling: 1st gen. Phantom Silver running DOS1
My Phantom Voyage
Basically the best thread in the Phantom section. Love it.
HQ Player (Software, www.signalyst.com/consumer.html)  -> SotM SMS-200 (http://www.sotm-audio.com/) -> Mutec mc3+ USB ->  DDRC-22D (room correction, https://www.minidsp.com/dirac-series/ddrc-22d) - Phantom Gold