Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Plug & PRAY Set-up.... & First Impression
Regarding: "- Less Bass than I was expecting ( I have heard people mentioning body slam sensation bass )"

I was in the same boat as you. I found out the hard way that the Phantoms are not only room dependent (make sure you don't have a room conducive of reflections to cause bass cancellation), but also stand dependent.

It wasn't until I finally got my order of (then called) Branch stands that the bass response came alive. Chalk it to a pair of heavy stands with a stout base.

Are you using them on normal stands?

Congrats btw, this is the best way to really understand if they are right for you. I'm sure after much trial and tribulation to get them setup, performing a full system reset will soon become second nature. You may need to do that on occasion.
(20-Feb-2016, 01:17)McChicken Wrote:
(19-Feb-2016, 23:10)bearcatsandor Wrote: McChicken,

As an owner of Anthony Gallo Reference 3.1 as well,  what is your impression of the Phantoms when compared to them?

Thanks!
Hi bearcatsandor
It's to early to say ...the 3.5 alone w/o a sub was not enough for me. Quite strange as this make me sound as a Bass only craving person but I'm not.
I am very far from the Home Cinema people who like to get things to rumble, but I know when I play my selected songs what I'm missing, but as mentioned I have not matched speaker or tried running through my DSPeaker (Room-correction / DSP) + Sonos, only through Spotify Connect so honestly I'm right now comparing apples and pears.

I'm eager to hear of your comparison when you get things set up.  

I know what you mean about bass. I don't want *thump thump rumble* of dubstep or home theater noise most of the time. What i *do* want is to be able to hear the size of a grand piano, the interior of a cathedral,  and the low, tight pluck of an upright bass.  Can the Phantoms do that kind of bass?

(most of what people think of as bass is harmonic distortion anyway)
Yes they can. Mine delivered this but after I installed them on the Branch stands it became truly exceptional.
I believe they are a must have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi mcchicken,

Are you sure that the night mode is off?
Hello McChicken,

Since I got my silver phantoms last summer, I had them wondering around my flat and at several friends houses and it was interesting to hear how room dependent a good soundstage and bass feedback is to achieve.
This is surely not phantoms dependent, but they are so handy and easily placed, that it even makes fun to move them around and explore the sound conditions of the rooms.
Just as an example: When I had them at a friend with a long living room (approx 6m x 18m) I had a similar experience of missing bass. Songs that had physical resonance in my body now were no more impressive.
We had to go much deeper into the room with our listening position et voila, nearly equal bass impact and a huge and deep soundstage baffled us.
Most of the times the best results were when the phantoms were placed with a good distance to walls and furniture (> 1m).
With all that experience I wonder how one could find the best position with the Gecko wall mounts. I dearly would love to try the Geckos, but I can't drill tens of holes into the walls. So I am thinking of a way how to position them temporarely with the Gecko on the wall.

So go ahead, move your phantoms around, find a new listening position where the phantoms might even be placed across the room, as long as you have an equiliteral triangle.

Cheers,

Krisp
(20-Feb-2016, 03:36)kameraguy Wrote: Regarding: "- Less Bass than I was expecting ( I have heard people mentioning body slam sensation bass )"

It wasn't until I finally got my order of (then called) Branch stands that the bass response came alive. Chalk it to a pair of heavy stands with a stout base.

Are you using them on normal stands?

I for sure like to have a pair of branch stands, even tried to find some heavy same height HiFi stands second hand.
Now the Phantoms stand in each corner a rock solid oak table that is just slightly taller.
in general IMO the table surface should act to amplify the bass that is why floor stands for small speakers are important and I do have my doubts that the Gecko wall mounts will not decrease sound quality. I have some bad experience with wall mounts my Beolab 3's sounded plain awful on those even they do have a switch just for wall settings, the difference between floor stands was amazing, wall mounts gave a muddy sound, same speaker on floor stand is crystal clear ( probably the best speaker I've heard under 3 liter / 1 gallon
todays missing is to by another toslink cable and hook up the Sonos (tweaked) and compare to Spotify connect.
As soon as I have some time I will get the Tidal service working as well.
Thanks as usual for all the feed-back
Devialet Silver Phantoms pair + Dialog, will be connected through DSPeaker 2.0 ( DSP / Room-Correction) and hopped-up G-sonos. ( thinking of ROON) "Retiring" Goldmund / JOB225 Amp, Antony Gallo Reference 3.5. Keeping Active Bang & Olufsen Beolabs in different rooms connected to Sonos.
Quick Post...connected my Tweaked Sonos (G-Sonos) to the Dialog ...and NOW I get (most) of the bass I'm looking for
Will tell more when I have a chance.
Devialet Silver Phantoms pair + Dialog, will be connected through DSPeaker 2.0 ( DSP / Room-Correction) and hopped-up G-sonos. ( thinking of ROON) "Retiring" Goldmund / JOB225 Amp, Antony Gallo Reference 3.5. Keeping Active Bang & Olufsen Beolabs in different rooms connected to Sonos.
(20-Feb-2016, 12:35)McChicken Wrote: Quick Post...connected my Tweaked Sonos (G-Sonos) to the Dialog ...and NOW I get (most) of the bass I'm looking for
Will tell more when I have a chance.
Ah that's intetesting... So its not your night mode switch activated then....
How much 'tweaking' have you done in Sonos?? Is there a lot of bass added?
I have Anthony Gallo ref 3.5, and Im thinking to reduce devices, and buy silver phantoms. I would connect my sonos, roon Pc and tv on dspeaker dual core (already have it) and than via optical out to phantoms.
Dr.Sah...ok then we are two..trying to simplify the set-up and even be able to move around the speakers for different listening activities.
I would say that all depends on what type of music you listen to and understand that not even Devialet can rule over the laws of physics.
What I miss the most the kick thump sound from a bass kick drum. I have only had my Phantoms for a two days so I'm far from an experienced user but I am a former Sound professional and DJ I hear what I hear...and listen to sounds is what you do in a studio.
Don't take me wrong after changing to using my Sonos as source the bass have come to life but I would say it's a GREAT speaker but the sound is not suitable for "DJ environment" as some of the harmonies from a beat is missing, THAT is what in my world what is called the "Body Slam" sensation not the deep sub-bass that I think some are confusing it with.
I will give you the same advice I got from someone here at the forum ( and that I'm utilizing right now) use the 45 free Trial and listen yourselves. Here in Europe the will ship with UPS to you, and you just return them if they are not what you expected, then you can compare them to the Gallo  Ref's 3.5 yourself