Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Power consumption when idle
(05-May-2015, 18:21)deviousalet Wrote: Thanks for the measurement of the Phantoms.

What I found with a Devialet 200 was around 9W off, 16W standby, and 28W idle/active (on 120V service and powering B&W N802 speakers).

The D200 took about 13 seconds to start up after being unplugged. How long do Phantoms take to start up? I assume they take longer because they need to synch with a Dialog.

I agree the Phantoms will be more complicated than the expert line to manage because as mamo944 pointed out the power will be distributed around various locations so harder to control with power stations or unplugging. My best idea so far is wiring a switched circuit for the Phantoms, Dialog, music server, etc. and then just switching that circuit on when I want to play music. It would obviously be far nicer if Devialet would just use modern electronics so that the Phantoms would consume almost no power when off. My computers, networking equipment, AV receiver, and most other electronics use less than a watt when in standby or off, so Devialet should be able to figure it out with all of their hardware engineers.

I am talking about D-800 (the 2 amps together)... about the startup time it's difficult to tell since the software is so buggy that i have to fidle around for 10 minutes to get them working after unplugging them ...
(05-May-2015, 18:40)JohnnySix Wrote: Has anyone ever noticed how much more power the Expert Line draws when an analogue input is selected? My D120 gets much hotter and burns 25w more when LINE is selected as opposed to USB or Optical. I wonder why the ADC converter chip needs so much?

Are your analogue input gains set such that you use the same volume setting as when using a digital input?
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

I have it set at +4dB so that the D120 matches the volume of my 100W/channel Rotel surround amplifier (which I use only for rear channels)
JRiver v25 (Windows) >> 220Pro/CI >> PMC Twenty5.23 + twin KEF KC62 subs. One White Phantom.
That may be why it runs hot. I haven't checked with recent firmware but my amp used to run hotter if set above -10dB with early firmware.
Devialet Original d'Atelier 44 Core, Job Pre/225, Goldmund PH2, Goldmund Reference/T3f /Ortofon A90, Goldmund Mimesis 36+ & Chord Blu, iMac/Air, Lynx Theta, Tune Audio Anima, Goldmund Epilog 1&2, REL Studio. Dialog, Silver Phantoms, Branch stands, copper cables (mainly).
Oxfordshire

(30-Apr-2015, 00:04)trashken Wrote: You can power them off by holding the power button for 5 secs.

I'm not sure pressing the button during 5 secs or more is powering off the Phantom. It seems to me this is just a reset.
(10-Jun-2015, 21:03)Yol Wrote:
(30-Apr-2015, 00:04)trashken Wrote: You can power them off by holding the power button for 5 secs.

I'm not sure pressing the button during 5 secs or more is powering off the Phantom. It seems to me this is just a reset.

Reset is pressing it 3 times.
Current: Phantom Silvers, Oppo 105D (Toslink), Raspberry Pi + Digi+, ROON
Pre-Phantom: PenAudio Rebel2, Nuforce MCH-2C5, Oppo 105D (Analog)
(11-Jun-2015, 13:07)trashken Wrote:
(10-Jun-2015, 21:03)Yol Wrote:

Reset is pressing it 3 times.

Indeed, this is a different type of reset. Pressing the button during 5 secs removes the Phantom from Spark during a few secs, resets the Playlist, and then the Phantom reappears. It is then not powered off. Perhaps this is Spark that reactivates it. However, in this case, we have to quit Spark, but it's quite difficult to know if it's powered off as I do not see any led on the Phantom.
Hi, I'm very curious about the power consumption numbers, they seem low to me. I am considering a Phantom Silver, but my power source is solar so I really have to watch consumption. I wrote to Devialet explaining my situation but they couldn't commit to any real numbers due to "the type of music and the volume level chosen." They did mention a 200w-300w draw while on, yet the numbers I'm seeing here are much smaller. I have a 20kw solar array and I'd be ok with dedicating 1kw/h to my sound (probably 5-6 hours of listening a day, so 6kw total per day of listening), but would love to hear real consumption numbers. If it's around 40-50w, that would be amazing, even 100w would be very low consumption. Thanks!
I just measured the power consumption my white phantoms.
On Standby I get 20W (each) plus 8W (Dialog). It seems this is an improvement in regard to previous posts (40W), since we had a firmware update in june or so. Still, almost 50W all the time for nothing isn't really sexy, cut off 3 plugs all the time isn't either. Hope the next upgarde will bring even more improvement in this.
As for listening, I had a 85W peak (but I seldom push them over 50%). Regarding to the "sound power" it develops, quite amazing low... imo.
(31-Jul-2015, 09:50)Vince_JP Wrote: I just measured the power consumption my white phantoms.
On Standby I get 20W (each) plus 8W (Dialog). It seems this is an improvement in regard to previous posts (40W), since we had a firmware update in june or so. Still, almost 50W all the time for nothing isn't really sexy, cut off 3 plugs all the time isn't either. Hope the next upgarde will bring even more improvement in this.
As for listening, I had a 85W peak (but I seldom push them over 50%). Regarding to the "sound power" it develops, quite amazing low... imo.

Good to see that the power consumption is going down. I wonder why the Dialog gets so hot if it's only using 8W.
Is the 85W peak per Phantom, or for both?

Thanks.