Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
REL High-level connection.
(26-Jun-2020, 20:53)David A Wrote:
(26-Jun-2020, 16:13)audio_engr Wrote: T9i won't impress you.
I turned down SAM to "zero".
My room has almost 40m2 (around 420ft2), i know maybe i need stronger speakers, they came from my previous home with a smaller livingroom, but  i like them so much and i don´t feel the need of "bigger" speakers, to be honest. I´m trying to find just a bit of more "body" and ( i don´t know if there is one) a sub with a wider range of performance in the mid-lows and lows, would be ideal.

I didn´t feel the "kick in the chest" yet, when increasing the gain all turns terrible, a lot of "humm", like i told before, just a subtle touch is well accepted here at this point.

Your help has been of indescribable importance for me.
Thanks for the support.
Mac mini with Roon, Devialet 220 Pro CI, Black Sixteen speaker cables, Sonus Faber Guarneri Tradition and a pair of ears.
I can't help with the hum since I never used a sub with my 140.

If you don't feel the need for bigger speakers then I wonder whether instead of a sub you would be better off doing some experimenting with speaker placement and the placing of your listening position. You may well be able to get a bit more "body" by either moving the speakers a bit closer to a wall to get a bit more reinforcement from the room and/or moving your listening position a bit forward or back. You may be sitting in a null zone for a room mode in which case moving the listening position can make a big difference. I was once listening to a pair of speakers in a dealer's showroom and playing a track with some deep bass. The bass was totally absent. I got up and started walking towards the CD player to change discs and about one or two steps forward of where the listening position was, the deep bass note came around again and it was impressively strong. The listening position had been placed in a null zone and a change of 30-60 cm or so in its position made the difference between good bass and virtually no bass on that track. It's well worth experimenting with both speaker placement and the positioning of your listening position. Mark the original locations so you can go back to them if you need to. If you have a carpeted floor I've found that velcro cable ties are really great for marking positions because the teeth of the velcro grab my carpet really well and, when I'm finished, they're easy to remove and don't mark the carpet.

Even at zero %, SAM is applying a phase correction to your speakers in the low bass. It's unlikely that a sub's driver is going to need exactly the same phase correction as your speakers and the sub is going to be more or less in or out of phase with your speakers depending on where you place it and what the difference in distance from the listening position is to sub and to speakers so SAM can make a difference. I'd compare having it turned on and turned off. You can do that in the balance and tone control menus - keep pressing the tone button on your remote to move through the different screens untll you get to the last one which is a list of on/off options. Each press of the button then moves you down an item in the list. Move down to SAM and a counter clockwise rotation of the volume control turns it off, a clockwise rotation will turn it back on. You can also program the remote in the Configurator so that a press of the middle button on the remote toggles SAM on and off. It is worth experimenting with turning it off.

I'm happy to have been of some assistance.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
I agree @David A ‘s suggestion: “It is worth experimenting with turning it off”.

My subwoofer produced a distorted sound when the SAM profile was on even when set at “zero”. When I removed the SAM profile the sub produced an undistorted sound. This is the case with my current speakers as it was with my former speakers. The “humm” may be caused by SAM, even if it set to “zero”.

Grimm Audio MU1 (Roon+Qobuz)  ~   D220 Pro CI   ~   Magico A5
Digital Cables: Audioquest Diamond ethernet; Audioquest Diamond AES/EBU
Speaker Cables: Nordost Tyr  -  Power Cables: Shunyata Alpha EF (D220); Shunyata Alpha NR (Grimm)
Resonance Control: Bassocontinuo (rack); CeraBase slimline (footers)
The Netherlands -                        - August 2023 -
Very good tip, i´ll try it with SAM turned off.
I spent days, weeks moving the speakers around until the current position but i´ll try some alternative placements like @David A suggestion.
I´ll let you know further conclusions.
Thanks.
Mac mini with Roon, Devialet 220 Pro CI, Black Sixteen speaker cables, Sonus Faber Guarneri Tradition and a pair of ears.
(27-Jun-2020, 13:40)BoyScout Wrote:
(26-Jun-2020, 20:53)David A Wrote:
(26-Jun-2020, 16:13)audio_engr Wrote: T9i won't impress you.
I turned down SAM to "zero".
My room has almost 40m2 (around 420ft2), i know maybe i need stronger speakers, they came from my previous home with a smaller livingroom, but  i like them so much and i don´t feel the need of "bigger" speakers, to be honest. I´m trying to find just a bit of more "body" and ( i don´t know if there is one) a sub with a wider range of performance in the mid-lows and lows, would be ideal.

I didn´t feel the "kick in the chest" yet, when increasing the gain all turns terrible, a lot of "humm", like i told before, just a subtle touch is well accepted here at this point.

Your help has been of indescribable importance for me.
Thanks for the support.

To address the hum, get another RCA cable, connect to an unused port on Devialet, don’t activate that port. And then connect to one of the RCA port on the sub, say LEF1, turn that input volume to minimum on the sub. This will 100% resolve your hum issue.

With Devialet amp, try don’t connect the black cable.
(27-Jun-2020, 13:29)Out of Gum Wrote: I had a rel s1 two years ago connected to my then D120. I connected all 3 wires following the manual. Nothing is damaged as far as i know. I couldn’t get it to blend in very well and found myself twisting knobs continously to make it sound good. One song would sound brilliant, the next one definitely not. Decided to sell it. When using the sub i switched SAM off as it cannot be good for the sub output

You might turn the bass too strong in one song so when you switch to another song you feel too much.

Set cross over lower, start from minimum. Then set volume to around 9-10 o’clock point, try around it. Don’t easily turn up the volume just because one song.
(28-Jun-2020, 01:24)PeppaPig Wrote: With Devialet amp, try don’t connect the black cable.

With black wire on my GND post of 440-Pro, I use my G1-MKII pair on a daily basis as a 2-ch system & have never encountered "Hum". I tested S/812 same way & no hum either. Few days back, tested 212/SX & again, no hum.
Roon Nucleus w/ Hypsos PSU & AQ Tornado + Roon RAAT  >  AQ Diamond ETH > etherREGEN using SFP + Hypsos PSU | CEC TL-5 CD Transport + AQ Z3 + 3 x Orea Indigo > AQ Diamond AES/EBU 
Devialet 440-Pro CI >  AQ Wel Sig  RCA-XLR | 6 x Orea Bronze, 2 x Synergistic Research Atmosphere PC | B&W 802 D3 {Bi-wired}  >  AQ WEL Signature (Biwire)
REL G1-Mk2 pair | PS Audio PP 12 + AQ NRG-1000 | Puritan GroundMaster + RouteMaster | SAM DISABLED - DPM OFF - Northern Virginia - US
(27-Jun-2020, 21:11)David A Wrote: I can't help with the hum since I never used a sub with my 140.

If you don't feel the need for bigger speakers then I wonder whether instead of a sub you would be better off doing some experimenting with speaker placement and the placing of your listening position. You may well be able to get a bit more "body" by either moving the speakers a bit closer to a wall to get a bit more reinforcement from the room and/or moving your listening position a bit forward or back. You may be sitting in a null zone for a room mode in which case moving the listening position can make a big difference. I was once listening to a pair of speakers in a dealer's showroom and playing a track with some deep bass. The bass was totally absent. I got up and started walking towards the CD player to change discs and about one or two steps forward of where the listening position was, the deep bass note came around again and it was impressively strong. The listening position had been placed in a null zone and a change of 30-60 cm or so in its position made the difference between good bass and virtually no bass on that track. It's well worth experimenting with both speaker placement and the positioning of your listening position. Mark the original locations so you can go back to them if you need to. If you have a carpeted floor I've found that velcro cable ties are really great for marking positions because the teeth of the velcro grab my carpet really well and, when I'm finished, they're easy to remove and don't mark the carpet.

Even at zero %, SAM is applying a phase correction to your speakers in the low bass. It's unlikely that a sub's driver is going to need exactly the same phase correction as your speakers and the sub is going to be more or less in or out of phase with your speakers depending on where you place it and what the difference in distance from the listening position is to sub and to speakers so SAM can make a difference. I'd compare having it turned on and turned off. You can do that in the balance and tone control menus - keep pressing the tone button on your remote to move through the different screens untll you get to the last one which is a list of on/off options. Each press of the button then moves you down an item in the list. Move down to SAM and a counter clockwise rotation of the volume control turns it off, a clockwise rotation will turn it back on. You can also program the remote in the Configurator so that a press of the middle button on the remote toggles SAM on and off. It is worth experimenting with turning it off.

I'm happy to have been of some assistance.
You can access the SAM control with two button presses as I have mentioned in this post: https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Handy-SA...0#pid74310
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
(28-Jun-2020, 08:16)Axel Wrote: You can access the SAM control with two button presses as I have mentioned in this post: https://devialetchat.com/Thread-Handy-SA...0#pid74310
 Another good info.
Thanks.
(28-Jun-2020, 03:03)audio_engr Wrote:
(28-Jun-2020, 01:24)PeppaPig Wrote: With Devialet amp, try don’t connect the black cable.

With black wire on my GND post of 440-Pro, I use my G1-MKII pair on a daily basis as a 2-ch system & have never encountered "Hum". I tested S/812 same way & no hum either. Few days back, tested 212/SX & again, no hum.

Many ppl have humming issue. I resolved it on both S3, S5 using additional RCA cable. The black cable didn’t help me.