Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Random volume drop
That is very interesting and would explain why a replacement worked without issues for a few weeks. It seems if this is the case that Devialet is not aware of this as they have send me two replacement remotes already. The problem was introduced with the upgrade. I don't think the remote itself also has gotten replacement hardware. Anyway will put some brand new batteries in it and give it a try.
Devialet 220 Expert Pro CI | Sonus Faber Olympica II | Crystal cable speaker cables, interlink and power cables | ROON Rock on Intel NUC | Netherlands
(27-Apr-2017, 20:42)iamwappie Wrote: That is very interesting and would explain why a replacement worked without issues for a few weeks. It seems if this is the case that Devialet is not aware of this as they have send me two replacement remotes already. The problem was introduced with the upgrade. I don't think the remote itself also has gotten replacement hardware. Anyway will put some brand new batteries in it and give it a try.

But if it only works perfectly for a few weeks it shows there is some sort of serious design issue.

Do the old remotes work with the pro models? The new remotes don't feel as nice as the old imho.

Has this impacted anyone with the 'posh' remotes (from 250 etc)?

I'm waiting for a replacement remote myself.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
I raised a ticket for this problem.  This is Devialet's official response:

Simply put in new batteries with top-of-the-line alcalines and it will be as good as new.

I haven't tried it yet so I can't say if this is the solution. The manual states that the battery is good for two years - but my remote is less than a year old. Somewhat disappointing.
(28-Apr-2017, 17:23)Thor Wrote: I raised a ticket for this problem.  This is Devialet's official response:

Simply put in new batteries with top-of-the-line alcalines and it will be as good as new.

I haven't tried it yet so I can't say if this is the solution.  The manual states that the battery is good for two years - but my remote is less than a year old.  Somewhat disappointing.

Sound like they discovered a ´solution´ as previously they send new remotes. I´d say given my situation a max of a few months before you have to replace the batteries. We do know that the problem will be back and since the volume sometimes also goes granular upwards when not taken action upon will destroy my speakers as the D220 outpowers my speakers. Now I know what to do when it happens but not sure if the rest of the family will also know.

From the looks of the Devialet response they seem to find to timely replace your batteries a proper solution. Will Devialet pay for my new speaker drivers when it happens? Probably not. But either they find a solution for this or they should pay for any speaker damage that occurs as a result of this design failure.
Devialet 220 Expert Pro CI | Sonus Faber Olympica II | Crystal cable speaker cables, interlink and power cables | ROON Rock on Intel NUC | Netherlands
This has just happened for the first time on my 440 Pro, which was new rather than an upgraded 400. Twice after turning on the amp using the front panel button (not remote control), the volume immediately started increasing of its own accord. Luckily there was no signal on the default input, but it is quite a worry.

Replaced the batteries in the remote control as suggested earlier in the thread and so far it's behaving more normally.

Sounds like a design fault in the remote control if it doesn't behave safely when the battery voltage drops out of spec.

Edit: the original batteries were date-marked "10-2017" and produced just less than 1.4 V each off load. It surprises me that Devialet haven't fitted batteries with a longer shelf life in a remote control that was brand new last year. For comparison, I replaced them with Duracell batteries bought several months ago that are marked "MAR 2023" -- at least five years longer shelf life than the originals.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
I muted my amps to take a phone call. When I unmuted them, I was hit by a deafening blast of distorted noise. Luckily my finger was still on the button and I muted it again instantly. I didn't look to see what volume the amps had reached, but I think I'd have ruined my speakers if I hadn't instantly muted them. 
The batteries must be the ones that came back with the remote after the pro upgrade.  They are white in colour with "Alkaline" in capital letters on them. They are date marked 10-2017. I replaced them with brand new Duracell AAA, and the problem has not reoccurred.

I recommend that everyone who hasn't done so to change their remote batteries before we hear of the first speaker failures because of this fault.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
The sudden volume drop happens every once in a while. If I listen for more than a couple of hours chances are it will happen.

But today, I noticed no sound from the right speaker. I thought my slave amp was broken but it turned our the balance was switched to 100% to the left.

I am not sure if it is the battery, may be I should change the battery to see if it changes anything.
Kondo Overture PM-2i, Weiss DAC502, LP12 Haben, Aro, Keel, Radikal, Urika, EMT JSD6, Phasemation PP-300/T-300, Linn Krystal, Penaudio Serenade Signature

Kondo Operia SPs 2.7, KSL-VzII, Acz-Avocado, etc.

Sounds plausible that if the remote just starts sending "random" messages, it could shift the balance all one way just as easily as the volume.

I'd second Axel's recommendation to replace any original batteries supplied in Pro remote controls.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
I tried the new batteries thing to no avail, had the remote changed, no problems with the new one so far, even with the old batteries.

When the replacement unit arrived I tested the supplied batteries, they were lower voltage than the old ones. Putting really bad batteries in the new remote does not cause it to misbehave.

The wheel on the replacement turns so much better than the original unit, much more like the one from the original 200, coincidence? My 440 was new, not upgraded.

Sent from my Nexus 5 using Tapatalk
Roon, Rega P9 + Dynavector XX2Mk2 > 440 Pro > Sonus Faber Guarneri Evolution
(28-Apr-2017, 21:10)iamwappie Wrote: ... Now I know what to do when it happens but not sure if the rest of the family will also know.

What you do when it occurs?
We can set up a output limit, can´t we?