Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Room correction with Phantom
I'm looking for a room EQ solution to use with my Phantoms (after room treatment of course).

Right now I have the most basic setup : Laptop > Spotify Connect > Dialog > Phantoms

I found the miniDSP 2x4 (or DDRC-22D or DDRC-24?) with DIRAC Live but I'm not entirely sure how to plug it in and it seems to be wired only.

How would I go about using my laptop / Google Home with Spotify Connect into the Digital Room Corrector into the Dialog and Phantoms? Ideally with as little wires as possible. 

Thank you for your help, sorry if this is a bit of a noob question.
You'd need the 22D with digital outputs (Toslink) to connect to either Dialog or direct to one of your Phantoms. Problem is that the 22D only has SPDIF inputs (AES/EBU, RCA and Toslink), no USB for example. You'd need to find a way to get an SPDIF signal out of your PC. If your PC has optical out you're good to go. Otherwise a Mutec MC-3 + USB has the necessary I/O, is extremely good, but is rather pricey. There are of course other cheaper USB to SPDIF DCCs that will do the job (like Shiit Eitr)
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
Use the $35 ministreamer usb to spdif converter with the ddrc 22d.
Your playback program could also do room correction in software..eg ROON , J river , foobar etc ..thats the route I would go if I were you.
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
So if I'm getting this right my two options are either a wired connection to the room correction or a different player with room correction in software.
I tried Roon+Tidal but I'm not enjoying the experience when it comes to playlists and suggestions compared to Spotify. Jriver/foobar don't let me stream from Spotify, and they seem like a bit of a hassle.

Thanks for the replies, seems like I'm out of luck for now unfortunately.
Well, you could use a squeezebox with roon to make it wireless .. roon .. roon dsp ..wireless to squeezebox ..phantoms .
In reality , all you need for "room correction" is parametric eq in the bass ... even if you had to use dirac , its far better to NOT mess with full frequency correction .. below 300hz is best
I think its better to forgo spotify and get better sq than make spotify a deal breaker
Roon/tidal > Squeezebox touch  > Trinnov St2 or DIRAC (minidsp ddrc-22d) > Dual mono D premiers > Vivid Audio Giya G1 Spirits  ...fully treated  dedicated 6x8m room
Thanks, I'll look into that.
I'm giving Roon a shot but it's really not growing on me. I do hear a difference in sound quality between Tidal and Spotify but not enough to make the switch to a less pleasant user experience (imo). Spotify HiFi should be rolling out soon-ish so that would solve that issue.

Can you expand on why a full frequency correction is inferior to a sub 300Hz correction?
If the room is 'challenging' (like mine is) full RC is to be recommended. Room treatment is good if one can deal with how it looks, but this may be difficult in a family room. Phantoms respond very well to DRC and Rodney's advice to treat (use peq) only below 300Hz is sensible, however, Rodney's Giya G1s are quite special! I expect that the Giyas sound very good in mids and highs and does not need RC to do it's magic. If you own Phantom Golds you may also want to adjust the treble region. A pure amplitude filter can do this in a convolution engine or it can be done with equalizing.
Unfortunately Devialet has not provided for easy use of room correction in any of their products.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
i have done that with dirac, works so good, really
i huge huge difference
(22-Sep-2017, 11:35)ogs Wrote: Unfortunately Devialet has not provided for easy use of room correction in any of their products.

Exactly. This is something that annoys me a lot. How hard can it be to integrate a convolution engine or even a parametric eq into Expert & Phantom.
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
Dialog should have enough CPU to run a convolver, Phantoms maybe. I am more sceptical about current Experts/Pros. With the new streamer board Pros will be well equipped. Whether Devialet chooses to do something about this is a different question.
Devialetless!