Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roon 1.8 first impressions
Rolled over into the new version very easily.
Sounds BETTER to me!
English version, RAAT- so far perfectly stable, too!
Here's hoping!
Hope everyone is enjoying their Dev and their music.
Wow, my system is sounding awesome right now Smile 10pm always the best Smile
Kind regards,
David.
Shy
Currently: MacMini with Tidal, Qobuz Roon via RAAT / Cat7 Ethernet cable / Devialet 1000 Expert Pro CI (the BIG dogs!)/ Analysis Plus Oval 9 cable / Hyperion Audio 968 / Cheap cable to homemade, 12 inch powered subwoofers.
(10-Feb-2021, 10:55)KraaijCheck Wrote:
(10-Feb-2021, 10:26)Johnnydev Wrote: maybe a stupid question, but how do I get Roon running.

i have an ipad pro, iphones and two phantom golds that have been upgraded to the latest software.
Roon remote keeps looking for a roon core.

You have to install the core software on a computer/NUC. Once you installed this the iPad and iPhone should find the core.

Oke, thanks.
I have a macbook and will try this, but should that macbook always stay on?
Initial experience is unfortunately bad.

I have triggered the update of my Linux core from my iPad... music not found anymore after core reboot, unable to find the local Linux folder or even to browse it... It seems only able to browse network folders.

Now in debugging mode...

grrrrrr....

Cheers,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1
(10-Feb-2021, 13:14)bernardl Wrote: Initial experience is unfortunately bad.

Now in debugging mode...

grrrrrr....

Cheers,
Bernard

You and many, many, many others, judging by the hundreds of new 1.8 threads on the Roon community.
I have never seen such an enormous negative response from a Roon release/update before.

However, you can have confidence that Roon will be all over this.
more or less no problems with the update for me. I need some time to get used to the new UI.
But: it really sounds better here as well with RAAT. NUC 10 i7 with Win10 and Audiophile Optimizer/Fidelizer.
(10-Feb-2021, 05:02)LeeC Wrote: Just home from work, upgraded Roon across my Nuc, phone and tablet. Not quite sure why but now the signal path is RAAT when it was ethernet prior.

Sounds noticeably different - better.  More soundstage, separation and presence .
I'm liking it a LOT.

Anyone else found Roon 1.8 to sound better or is it the change to RAAT?
Oddly enough, as with you, I found Roon 1.8 to sound noticeably better.  I know -- bits are bits, and so forth -- but the sound was beguiling yesterday through an extended listening session.
Devialet Expert 220 Pro Kinki EX-M7 power amp tethered to a fiber-fed Lumin X1 streamer via Grimm XLRs, Vivid B1 Decade speakers in Rosso Barchetta red (only 200 produced in a limited edition), Roon Nucleus with a Samsung 860 EVO 2TB SSD, etherREGEN switch fed by a Sonore opticalModule (and Sonore-supplied transceivers and 1M optical cable) with a SOtM dCBL-Cat7 cable to my Nucleus and a DH Labs Reunion Cat8 to my Lumin T2 streamer, Keces P8 linear power supply feeding a (to come) NUC and EtherREGEN switch with an external AfterDark OCXO clock., and opticalModule (5V/1A), AudioQuest Niagara 1000 power conditioner, ASI LiveLine loom (purchased directly from Franck Tchang when I lived in France), Less Loss Firewall for Speakers and Roon lifetime license with Tidal streaming.
Many perceive a difference in SQ after upgrading to Roon 1.8. To the better or worse.

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-1-...e/141309/7
SonicTransporter i5 - AirPort Extreme - Devialet Expert 120 - ATC SCM 19 v1
(10-Feb-2021, 10:39)K4680 Wrote:
(10-Feb-2021, 07:28)paul.oorbeek Wrote:
(10-Feb-2021, 06:21)K4680 Wrote: Roon 1.8, errors are present.
Make settings, Roon crashes,
Change profile, crash
Long loading times. 
Hope the problems will be fixed soon.  Sad
Devices: Nucleus +, iPad Pro 12.9, iPadOS 14.4
Yep same here but mostly in the IOS apps and not in Android. Android is noticable more stable. Interface looks much much better.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

A tip from the Roon community, set the system language on the iPad / iPhone to English and this should fix the error in advance!  A Roon patch will follow!

Just tested, Roon 1.8 works! Wink
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
(10-Feb-2021, 12:18)Johnnydev Wrote: I have a macbook and will try this, but should that macbook always stay on?

Not necessarily, but you need it on for playing music. Roon does some "housekeeping" of metadata so it is recommended to keep the Core running 24/7. That is why many install on a NUC.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
In perusing the vast number of posts in the Roon forums about 1.8, there is certainly a lot of praise, but also a good number of negative comments centered around two areas. One was related to either missing or broken functionality and this was primarily the result of Roon servers getting totally swamped after the release. This now seems to have been resolved.

The other is from those that don't like the look/feel of the new user interface. Some think it's too sparse, others don't like the colors or fonts. Some just don't like change perhaps. Hey, there's no pleasing everyone and, in truth, there's no going back. My guess is the most will come around once they've spent time with it. It is a significant change.

Having spent most of my career in IT, software and database development, I can't say enough about how impressed I am with what Roon has accomplished - particularly in this release. They employ robust agile development methods while leveraging lessons learned from best-on-breed user interface design. Ain't no easy thing.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA