Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roon 1.8 first impressions
Updated my Linux core and iPad Air to 1.8 with no issues.

Everything is working just fine with RAAT to my 440pro.

No difference in sound quality, sounds just as good as it always has.
Roon Rock, Devialet 220 pro CI, Palmer 2.5 Turntable, AT OC9MLii, Classic Audio MC Pro Phono and Harbeth SHL5 Plus
(10-Feb-2021, 20:25)disarmamant Wrote: Updated my Linux core and iPad Air to 1.8 with no issues.

May I ask whether your music is stored on a local Linux folder or on a NAS?

Thank you.

Cheers,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1
The issue I am facing is experiencing by others also:

https://community.roonlabs.com/t/roon-1-...ing/141074

Cheers,
Bernard
Room: Gik Acoustics | Vibration: Townshend pods | Power: Shunyata Omega XC + Everest + Sigma NR v2 + Sigma ground cables | Source: Mojo Audio DejaVu EVO linux server running Roon core (Raat) | Ethernet: Sonore Optical module + Melco S10P with dedicated LPS + Shunyata Omega Ethernet x 2| Synchronous: Mutec MC-3 + USB (Paul Hynes SR7T LPS) + Cybershaft OP21A (Shunyata Omega USB, AES/EBU, clock cables) | Dac/Pre/Amplification: Devialet D1000 Pro CI (Chord Sarum T RCA-RCA link) | Speakers: Chord Sarum T cables + Wilson Benesch Act One Evolution P1
(10-Feb-2021, 22:14)bernardl Wrote:
(10-Feb-2021, 20:25)disarmamant Wrote: Updated my Linux core and iPad Air to 1.8 with no issues.

May I ask whether your music is stored on a local Linux folder or on a NAS?

Thank you.

Cheers,
Bernard

Music is stored on a local disk on the core server, Vortexbox running Fedora Linux 25.
Roon Rock, Devialet 220 pro CI, Palmer 2.5 Turntable, AT OC9MLii, Classic Audio MC Pro Phono and Harbeth SHL5 Plus
(10-Feb-2021, 16:17)K4680 Wrote:
(10-Feb-2021, 10:39)K4680 Wrote:
(10-Feb-2021, 07:28)paul.oorbeek Wrote: Yep same here but mostly in the IOS apps and not in Android. Android is noticable more stable. Interface looks much much better.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

A tip from the Roon community, set the system language on the iPad / iPhone to English and this should fix the error in advance!  A Roon patch will follow!

Just tested, Roon 1.8 works! Wink

Tonight came the revised Roon 1.8 version for Core and Remote (IOS)! Installed without problems, runs stably! Rolleyes
Aavik U-280 / Audio Physic Cardeas / Melco N1ZS + D100 / Melco Switch S100 / KECES P8 Dual / Transparent Audio PowerWave X / Cable: Audioquest, Shunyata, Transparent, Ansuz Digitalz A2 Ethernet, USB
Remote: iPad-Pro
Roon Nucleus+(B), Lifetime / Qobuz Studio Sublime                                                                                                          
Germany / Bavaria
10th February they will fix the setting issue

Just checked, it’s now fixed

Gesendet von iPad mit Tapatalk
It does clearly feel like this upgrade was not tested enough and that Roon has decided to join the ranks of the companies thinking that their paying customers can act as the facto beta testers.

The #1 reason I decided to settle on Roon instead of Audirvana is the combination of perfect stability and ease of music navigation. Both combined. I wouldn’t have considered Roon without the stability part.

I am not questioning the validity of the changes they are making but...
- having many users unable to access their files is a big no go
- application crashes in common scenarios is a big no go
- calling this 1.8 instead of 2.0 may be the worst part as it conveys the impression of a relatively minor and therefore safe upgrade
- the poor information density of the new UI is disliked by a majority of users it seems, testing should have revealed this
- there are many functional regressions

Cheers,
Bernard
(11-Feb-2021, 23:37)bernardl Wrote: It does clearly feel like this upgrade was not tested enough and that Roon has decided to join the ranks of the companies thinking that their paying customers can act as the facto beta testers.

The #1 reason I decided to settle on Roon instead of Audirvana is the combination of perfect stability and ease of music navigation. Both combined. I wouldn’t have considered Roon without the stability part.

- calling this 1.8 instead of 2.0 may be the worst part as it conveys the impression of a relatively minor and therefore safe upgrade
- the poor information density of the new UI is disliked by a majority of users it seems, testing should have revealed this

Cheers,
Bernard

I disagree that Roon treated testing any different on this release.  I spent my career dealing with software, databases and websites that worked great in a test environment but under full load revealed unforeseen issues.  What they did do differently this time was to announce and actually market the new release ahead of time. I have no doubt this generated a user load upon release way beyond anything they had seen previously and it broke a few things.  No new software release goes without some level of bugs and Roon is no different.  But their resolution of the server issues followed by a quick release of an update and informative acknowledgement of other issues is to be commended.

I get why they decided not to call this 2.0.   It got an extraordinary facelift but little in the way of new functionality or scope.  What was different was clearly the amount of marketing hype which ultimately got them in a bit of trouble.  My guess is that future releases will return to a more subdued launch.

We can agree to disagree on the strength of the new release, but IMHO, it is a big win.  The downside is that it is also a big change in UI and that has met with some resistance.  On the other hand, I’ve also seen a good bit of praise as well. Their forums give a lot of people a voice that gets heavily exercised. Roon will undoubtedly respond to much of the feedback and tweak the system accordingly.  

@bernardl - Can you site the functional regressions you mentioned?   Certainly there were on the day of release but much of that was due to their server overload and most of it resolved that night.   The one area that is still messed up is their change in Boolean logic in their Focus.  What they did is slick, but different from the previous incarnation and that broke user bookmarks and generated a lot of user frustration.  I’m amazed that wasn’t caught in testing.  My guess is that they’ll patch that soon.

Bottom line, no software is going to please everyone.  Personally, I somewhat feared the UI change because... well, I’m getting old and hesitant to change what has been working well for me.  But the more I use the new UI, the more I appreciate it.  Hey, it will continue to evolve and I know of no company that responds to users better than Roon.
Devialet 440 Pro (two 220s)- Oracle CD transport - Kuzma Stabi S/Stogi S turntable - Von Schweikert VR-35 speakers - JPS SC3 SCs - PI Audio power conditioning -
Triode Wire Labs ICs and PCs - Roon on NUC 8i7beh running ROCK
Durham, NC USA
just loaded 1.8 and loving the updated modernized interface. Install was flawless to my Win 10 NUC and iPad. Tunes sounding good as usual.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Roon for life, VPI Aries 3D le/Dynavector XV-1s, 1000 Pro, KEF Blade Two
Okanagan, British Columbia
(12-Feb-2021, 02:17)mdconnelly Wrote:
(11-Feb-2021, 23:37)bernardl Wrote: It does clearly feel like this upgrade was not tested enough and that Roon has decided to join the ranks of the companies thinking that their paying customers can act as the facto beta testers.

Cheers,
Bernard

I disagree that Roon treated testing any different on this release.  I spent my career dealing with software, databases and websites that worked great in a test environment but under full load revealed unforeseen issues.  What they did do differently this time was to announce and actually market the new release ahead of time. I have no doubt this generated a user load upon release way beyond anything they had seen previously and it broke a few things.  No new software release goes without some level of bugs and Roon is no different.  But their resolution of the server issues followed by a quick release of an update and informative acknowledgement of other issues is to be commended.

I get why they decided not to call this 2.0.   It got an extraordinary facelift but little in the way of new functionality or scope.  What was different was clearly the amount of marketing hype which ultimately got them in a bit of trouble.  My guess is that future releases will return to a more subdued launch.

We can agree to disagree on the strength of the new release, but IMHO, it is a big win.  The downside is that it is also a big change in UI and that has met with some resistance.  On the other hand, I’ve also seen a good bit of praise as well. Their forums give a lot of people a voice that gets heavily exercised. Roon will undoubtedly respond to much of the feedback and tweak the system accordingly.  

@bernardl - Can you site the functional regressions you mentioned?   Certainly there were on the day of release but much of that was due to their server overload and most of it resolved that night.   The one area that is still messed up is their change in Boolean logic in their Focus.  What they did is slick, but different from the previous incarnation and that broke user bookmarks and generated a lot of user frustration.  I’m amazed that wasn’t caught in testing.  My guess is that they’ll patch that soon.

Bottom line, no software is going to please everyone.  Personally, I somewhat feared the UI change because... well, I’m getting old and hesitant to change what has been working well for me.  But the more I use the new UI, the more I appreciate it.  Hey, it will continue to evolve and I know of no company that responds to users better than Roon.

Sorry a bit busy now but you can read the Roon community comments to find a looong list of functional regressions many people are unhappy about.

For what it’s worth I have an in-depth software experience also. And again, I am not complaining about the intent of the changes they brought. 

Regards,
Bernard