Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Roon supports Devialet AIR
(14-May-2017, 11:27)wikeeboy Wrote: I'm going to apologise up front here.. sorry for the newbie question and hijacking this thread!

With what everyone is talking about here, if it happens would it mean i could use my iphone/ipad to control roon and i wouldn't need roon core on my macbook? The Devialet would be all that is required?

I am already using roon on my macbook which sends the stream direct to my devialet, so what will be the advantage? I have a modded sonos connect as well as a mutec.. if i could merely use a roon controller and the devialet only that would be a big plus. No more additional boxes Smile

No you still need a computer of some sort to run Roon Core/server just that you dont need Devialets AIR protocoll on a PC/Mac so you can run Roon on linux or any streamer that have Roon Core/server and talk to your amp directly......
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(14-May-2017, 11:02)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(14-May-2017, 10:44)octaviars Wrote: My concern with this is what happens if Devialet changes something in the AIR protocoll on the amps and in the software....does the Roon solution stop working and we have to wait for them to come out with a new patch to fix it......

I know who I'd rather wait for....  Wink

Yes of course that will be Roon but you dont know how long it took them to do this thing with AIR......days, weeks, month or years. If Devialet changes AIR and you have to wait for Roon to fix it that is not the best thing.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system

(14-May-2017, 11:43)octaviars Wrote:
(14-May-2017, 11:02)Hifi_swlon Wrote:
(14-May-2017, 10:44)octaviars Wrote: My concern with this is what happens if Devialet changes something in the AIR protocoll on the amps and in the software....does the Roon solution stop working and we have to wait for them to come out with a new patch to fix it......

I know who I'd rather wait for....  Wink

Yes of course that will be Roon but you dont know how long it took them to do this thing with AIR......days, weeks, month or years. If Devialet changes AIR and you have to wait for Roon to fix it that is not the best thing.

I'd still prefer to wait for Roon developers to fix it. The difference would be a few hours waiting for Roon and a few years waiting for Devialet....
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(14-May-2017, 12:09)ogs Wrote:
(14-May-2017, 11:43)octaviars Wrote:
(14-May-2017, 11:02)Hifi_swlon Wrote: I know who I'd rather wait for....  Wink

I'd still prefer to wait for Roon developers to fix it. The difference would be a few hours waiting for Roon and a few years waiting for Devialet....

Yes as I wrote I would also like to wait for Roon to fix it but as we have no clue what Devialet will do with AIR in the future you cant be so shure that Roon can fix it.....

I know that Devialet have told someone that AIR will stay with the new streamerboard but is there really anyone left that trusts Devialet...... Dodgy

To me it is just a firmware upgrade away and then AIR is like poff gone......and we stand there with Roon and their solution to run AIR not working and not fixable Sad

I may sound pesimistic but I have not much trust left in what Devialet do or tells us. Roon on the other hand is exactly as a company should handle their customers, they also have bugs in the firmware but they FIX it and it dont take them YEARS to do it.

Second system

Of course we don't know yet if Roon worked with Devialet on this. If they reverse engineered the AIR protocol themselves then yes this could be tricky if Devialet decides to make changes. If they worked together on I wouldn't worry. Smile

Remember Devialet and Roon signed NDA's so they could be both silent because of this until something's finished and ready for release. Of course Devialet is always silent but not the Roon guys; I love their transparency and in depth community participation! Smile
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(14-May-2017, 11:43)octaviars Wrote: Yes of course that will be Roon but you dont know how long it took them to do this thing with AIR......days, weeks, month or years. If Devialet changes AIR and you have to wait for Roon to fix it that is not the best thing.

I do have an idea..... Wink. I can say with some certainty it was significantly less time than it took Devialet themselves to fix their own AIR driver issues (Roon has only been in existence for two years), which gives you a good idea how ineffectual Devialet are at software development.

One would assume that if Devialet make changes to firmware or anything at the receiver end which would affect AIR, that they would notify Roon in advance so they could prepare for it. So that would give us twice as much chance of a working solution - Roon direct or Devialet drivers. The biggest assumption of course being that Devialet know when they're about to break something, and are organised enough to notify companies that have built technology around their hardware.

Anyway, focussing in the positives - this is exciting!

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

It is all speculations......before we see anyting more on this from either Roon or Devialet I will not get to exited but if it is a solution that both Devialet and Roon have worked out that is a good thing......I might not even have a Devialet to try with when this comes out Smile

Second system

(14-May-2017, 12:42)Antoine Wrote: Of course we don't know yet if Roon worked with Devialet on this. If they reverse engineered the AIR protocol themselves then yes this could be tricky if Devialet decides to make changes. If they worked together on I wouldn't worry. Smile

Remember Devialet and Roon signed NDA's so they could be both silent because of this until something's finished and ready for release. Of course Devialet is always silent but not the Roon guys; I love their transparency and in depth community participation! Smile

Antoine is on to something here. Reverse engineering is probably not considered 'nice', so hopefully there is an agreement between the two.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
If Roon will do the same with Spark so I could run Roon directly to Phantom that would be nice Smile

Second system

I am a bit surprised by this thread, because my Roon (presently 1.3) installed on a Mac always discovered AIR (304) without problem. It plays perfectly right now in my room.