Thread Rating:
  • 3 Vote(s) - 4 Average
Roon supports Devialet AIR
Hi @Confused , I think @petrik says that his other Roon zones play 768 kHz, not Devialet... on the other hand a down-sampler routine on the CI board would be a nice feature.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(09-Aug-2018, 14:48)ogs Wrote: Hi @Confused , I think @petrik says that his other Roon zones play 768 kHz, not Devialet... on the other hand a down-sampler routine on the CI board would be a nice feature.

Yes, that would make sense.  Plus, that is quite interesting. @petrik - what exactly are use using as a "Roon zone" that can run 768kHz wifi?  I am just curious, that's all.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Me too, 768kHz and wifi is quite something.
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
(09-Aug-2018, 15:45)Confused Wrote:
(09-Aug-2018, 14:48)ogs Wrote: Hi @Confused , I think @petrik says that his other Roon zones play 768 kHz, not Devialet... on the other hand a down-sampler routine on the CI board would be a nice feature.

Yes, that would make sense.  Plus, that is quite interesting. @petrik - what exactly are use using as a "Roon zone" that can run 768kHz wifi?  I am just curious, that's all.

Yes, I'm having two different Roon zones / rooms. The same Roon Nucleus+ is used on both zones.

1. The main listening room.  There I have the Roon Nucleus+, Devialets etc. The playback chain there is simply: Roon Nucleus+ -> Netgear GS108 switch -> Devialet 1000 Pro. All Ethernet wired.
  2. Office. The playback chain there is a bit more complicated because the Roon Nucleus+ is located in the main listening room and I don't have an Ethernet connection between these two rooms. The playback chain there is basically: Roon Nucleus+ -> Netgear GS108 switch -> Netgear Orbi Satellite -> Wifi -> Netgear Orbi Router -> PC (W10) -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital -> Genelec 8330. 
Streaming works perfectly fine to this "Office" zone up to 768 kHz and DSD512. No crackles or anything. It just works beautifully.

I'm having those crackling noise problems in the main listening room when streaming high res. 16/44.1 works perfectly there though.
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
(09-Aug-2018, 16:14)petrik Wrote:
(09-Aug-2018, 15:45)Confused Wrote:

Yes, I'm having two different Roon zones / rooms. The same Roon Nucleus+ is used on both zones.

1. The main listening room.  There I have the Roon Nucleus+, Devialets etc. The playback chain there is simply: Roon Nucleus+ -> Netgear GS108 switch -> Devialet 1000 Pro. All Ethernet wired.
  2. Office. The playback chain there is a bit more complicated because the Roon Nucleus+ is located in the main listening room and I don't have an Ethernet connection between these two rooms. The playback chain there is basically: Roon Nucleus+ -> Netgear GS108 switch -> Netgear Orbi Satellite -> Wifi -> Netgear Orbi Router -> PC (W10) -> Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital -> Genelec 8330. 
Streaming works perfectly fine to this "Office" zone up to 768 kHz and DSD512. No crackles or anything. It just works beautifully.

I'm having those crackling noise problems in the main listening room when streaming high res. 16/44.1 works perfectly there though.
That's very impressive I have to say, with respect to the Pro-Ject Pre Box.  They are very low cost and have a decent reputation for sound quality too, I have cables that cost more! In fact, thinking about it, the cover for my Pro-Ject turntable costs more than a Pro-Ject Pre Box S2 Digital, a case of economies of scale I guess.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(09-Aug-2018, 12:57)ogs Wrote: I've used Roon/AIR a bit the last few months. Only wired, no problems all the way to 192kHz. I have no DSD material so I haven't tried that. Remember that AIR is still UDP so a lost packet  is most likely audible. When RAAT is in place in Experts we'll have TCP transfer of data where re-transmission of packets is part of the protocol. No more dropouts (hopefully)

You're assuming that the AIR protocol doesn't do re-transmission, I think - but perhaps it does?  Based on my investigation (albeit a long while ago), it probably has enough feedback mechanisms built in to know when packets have been lost, and there is plenty of buffering in the Dev to make that invisible to the audio renderer.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
^^ Yep, the Pro-Ject has excellent value for money. I'm really happy that I actually have some setup where I can just listen music without worrying about some software bugs. No need to worry about room modes either because these Genelecs have a built-in room correction. It's just pure listening pleasure on my "Office" zone.

Let's see if I get this crackling noise issue solved somehow on the main listening room...
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
I have second zone in Roon being my headhone setup. That is iPhone with Chord Mojo over Apple CCK powering up Denon Mm400. Roon easily feeds the iPhone with 768k over WiFi. No issues here.
Fanless HdPlex (HQPlayer) -> Merging Hapi -> Genelec 8351B
(09-Aug-2018, 18:03)thumb5 Wrote:
(09-Aug-2018, 12:57)ogs Wrote: I've used Roon/AIR a bit the last few months. Only wired, no problems all the way to 192kHz. I have no DSD material so I haven't tried that. Remember that AIR is still UDP so a lost packet  is most likely audible. When RAAT is in place in Experts we'll have TCP transfer of data where re-transmission of packets is part of the protocol. No more dropouts (hopefully)

You're assuming that the AIR protocol doesn't do re-transmission, I think - but perhaps it does?  Based on my investigation (albeit a long while ago), it probably has enough feedback mechanisms built in to know when packets have been lost, and there is plenty of buffering in the Dev to make that invisible to the audio renderer.

You may be right here. I've never had any problems with Roon/AIR so I did not have reasons to look deeper into the transmission. I have only noticed that bandwidth use is much smaller on AIR vs RAAT, same track. If there is crackling on AIR over ethernet there must be something going on at the network level.
Devialetless!
(09-Aug-2018, 12:59)petrik Wrote: Are you all using default settings for the Devialet on Roon or have you changed for example the buffer size?

Yes, buffer settings are at default, but I have fixed volume.

Devialetless!