Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roon - the next step?
(05-Mar-2018, 17:24)Womaz Wrote: In the end the difference was down to the input. After help on the Roon Forum i eventually got a lossless path to the Dev using Ethernet, but it was a bit dull, the bass overpowered everything . When I connected my lap top with USB the magic was back, and the difference was considerable. Trust me it had to be for me to notice as I dont get hung up on small differences in sound.

I must say that I find that very surprising. If you had lossless paths via both USB and (Roon) AIR/Ethernet to the Devialet, there should not have been any substantial differences in bass vs treble tonal balance. I've tried both configurations in my system and found any sound quality differences to be rather subtle. Not arguing with what you said, just pointing out that it strikes me as odd and might indicate something else was not quite as you thought during the comparison...
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/help-wi...lity/39145
@thumb5
I hope this link works as it shows the full journey I took if you are interested.
So yes eventually I got a lossless path by Ethernet and USB was so much better. I was surprised myself as I was always under the assumption USB was the poor relation
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(05-Mar-2018, 17:29)Womaz Wrote: So now in my thoughts are the NUC option, the Innuos and Roon Nucleus.

Good options! Perhaps you could consider also sonicTransporter:
https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/colle...0893269700

Or how about the brand new Antipodes servers?
https://darko.audio/2018/02/antipodes-au...c-servers/

It's really interesting to see which option you choose Smile
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
(05-Mar-2018, 18:14)petrik Wrote:
(05-Mar-2018, 17:29)Womaz Wrote: So now in my thoughts are the NUC option, the Innuos and Roon Nucleus.

Good options! Perhaps you could consider also sonicTransporter:
https://www.smallgreencomputer.com/colle...0893269700

Or how about the brand new Antipodes servers?
https://darko.audio/2018/02/antipodes-au...c-servers/

It's really interesting to see which option you choose Smile

I will take a look at these too as I have read about the Sonic Transporter. I think the Antipodes will be a bit expensive though. Thanks again
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
OK the NUC option, I have been doing a bit of research and you guys who use this method is it noisy as I will have to have it on my hifi rack or close to it.

Another basic question is why is a Microrendu or any other music player necessary or am I missing a basic point here?
How about Innuos Zenith MK II?
(05-Mar-2018, 20:23)Womaz Wrote: OK the NUC option, I have been doing a bit of research and you guys who use this method is it noisy as I will have to have it on my hifi rack or close to it.

Another basic question is why is a Microrendu or any other music player necessary or am I missing a basic point here?

My NUC makes no noise at all, not enough load on it to even power on the fans such that you can hear them. Also if you are using the NUC to send data down to another device connected to the Devialet you could place it anywhere in your home, and just connect it via ethernet. Once set up the only time you would ever have to physically touch it is to power it on. Power off can be done remotely via a web browser. There are other options too such that you could leave it powered on, or use WAKE ON LAN to wake it up remotely.

As to your second question, you could, in fact, connect the NUC via USB to the Devialet, many folks use a device such as the SoTM or microRendu because they feel it offers better sound quality than a straight USB output from the NUC.
Roon ROCK on Intel NUC6i5SYH/Ethernet | VPI Avenger | Devialet 440 Pro CI | Vivid Audio Giya G3 | Auralic Aires Mini | Synology 1812+ NAS
SXSW, US
(06-Mar-2018, 16:02)Avanti Wrote: How about Innuos Zenith MK II?

This is on the list but looks expensive compared to other options I think. It also has a CD ripper which I do not need. It is still being considered as a local dealer I use has it in stock.
(06-Mar-2018, 16:32)baddog Wrote:
(05-Mar-2018, 20:23)Womaz Wrote: OK the NUC option, I have been doing a bit of research and you guys who use this method is it noisy as I will have to have it on my hifi rack or close to it.

My NUC makes no noise at all, not enough load on it to even power on the fans such that you can hear them. Also if you are using the NUC to send data down to another device connected to the Devialet you could place it anywhere in your home, and just connect it via ethernet. Once set up the only time you would ever have to physically touch it is to power it on. Power off can be done remotely via a web browser. There are other options too such that you could leave it powered on, or use WAKE ON LAN to wake it up remotely.

As to your second question, you could, in fact, connect the NUC via USB to the Devialet, many folks use a device such as the SoTM or microRendu because they feel it offers better sound quality than a straight USB output from the NUC.

Thanks for the reply.
I really like the idea of the NUC option and I know someone who can build it for me. The bang for bucks here is attractive as i can get i7 processor and the Nucleus at this level is £2300. So the saving here is huge.
However I have to have the NUC in my Hifi rack and at this stage I will be connecting it by USB to the Devialet without the use of a music player, but thanks for the clarification on this point. My lap top sounds pretty damn good to me via USB so at this stage I am just looking to replace that I guess.
I also know some of you on here will be casting a doubtful eye on my ability to cope with the NUC option Smile Smile Smile Smile Smile