Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roon - the next step?
(25-Oct-2018, 10:56)thumb5 Wrote: I take it those are rhetorical questions, @Pim ?

Nope.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(10-Nov-2018, 08:47)Pim Wrote:
(25-Oct-2018, 10:56)thumb5 Wrote: I take it those are rhetorical questions, @Pim ?

Nope.

Ha ha! I wrote that after composing a long reply then deciding it was probably superfluous.  Anyway, @Confused said pretty much what I had in mind in post 185.
Roon (Mac Mini), Wilson Benesch Full Circle, Expert 1000 Pro CI, Kaiser Chiara
Warwickshire, UK
I have considered the Nucleus products, but i feel for now it would be wise to wait for the Melco to be roon ready. I have stuck with the Melco despite the lack of an app and then the problems with using Tidal via the Linn Kinsky app, so a little more patience should not be too difficult.
Yes I would like the lap top out of the chain eventually i think , but I have a stable system and it all works with no issues with streaming. It took a while to get this so this is probably another reason why I sit on the fence I think.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
I have had Roon from my MacBook Air to my 250Pro for at least a year now and other than the odd transport in use issue, which disappeared a while ago, it works fine. I only use Tidal these days with the advantage that if today I can get my grandson off the AV system with his cartoons, I can listen to the latest release and umpteenth version of The White Album. I still have my original vinyl Mono version, a stereo version and several CD versions all happily residing in the loft.

As more and more older albums are remastered the idea of keeping and accessing older CD versions, many of which were poor productions anyway, gets less and less attractive. My biggest gripe on Roon is that I’d rather have the Core accessible without having the MacBook open. Obviously I could get a Nucleus but am not sure I could justify the cost.
Devialet 1000 Pro CI, Chord Signature Reference speaker cables, B&W 803 D3 speakers

Roon lifetime licence, Tidal.
(09-Nov-2018, 21:05)Sailor4W Wrote:
(09-Nov-2018, 16:18)midi Wrote:
(09-Nov-2018, 10:29)Sailor4W Wrote: Sorry to chime in so late! I am basically in the same situation: through many trials and errors I managed to get Roon running stably with my Expert 120 through Ethernet hardwiring. I also have an Aurender N100H connected via USB. Comparing Roon via Ethernet and Aurender N100H USB connected, the SQ of the Aurender beats Roon, cleaner and less harshness. I would gladly prefer Roon‘s flashy app, so I am also looking into a USB-connected streamer capable of running Roon Core. Choices seem to be slim.

Choice: INNUOS MK II or MK III
So, what‘s the difference between MK II and III? I somewhere read that the CPUs of theInnuos are not according to Roon‘s specifications. Has this been sorted out in the MK IIIs?

There are only (CPU) limitations if you are running ROON Core with DSD files on the INNUOS (yes you can use the INNUOS as a ROON Core, so you don´t need a further device). As far as I know the limitations are the same with the MK II and the MK III.
Formerly Devialet 220PRO CI, Magico A3, 2 Gold Phantoms, Dialog/Raspberry PI2 Digi+, ROON Rock NUC8i3, Bluesound Powernode 2i, B&W 607, Audirvana
(10-Nov-2018, 12:06)midi Wrote:
(09-Nov-2018, 21:05)Sailor4W Wrote:
(09-Nov-2018, 16:18)midi Wrote: Choice: INNUOS MK II or MK III
So, what‘s the difference between MK II and III? I somewhere read that the CPUs of theInnuos are not according to Roon‘s specifications. Has this been sorted out in the MK IIIs?

There are only (CPU) limitations if you are running ROON Core with DSD files on the INNUOS (yes you can use the INNUOS as a ROON Core, so you don´t need a further device). As far as I know the limitations are the same with the MK II and the MK III.

Thanks for clarifying! I am not aware that my Expert 120 can handle DSD files, so that is not a must for me. The question then would be: INNUOS or Roon's Nucleus?
SonicTransporter i5 - AirPort Extreme - Devialet Expert 120 - ATC SCM 19 v1
Well, I solved the question whether INNUOS or Nucleus: I now have a Nucleus loaner from my local dealer for a test.Setting it up was a breeze, simply migrated my license from the Mac Mini to the Nucleus, attached my 2 TB SSD holding my library and the Nucleus was up in a minute. The moment I played a few albums, I knew I wanted to keep this little thingy! The sound is neutral, but not dry, there's no glare whatsoever (which was prominent in quite a few albums streamed from my Mac Mini), and instrument separation is incredibly good. Most importantly, it is a pleasure to listen to the music coming from the Nucleus, and I do not get listening fatigue at all. It is a perfect match for the Devialet!
(07-Jan-2019, 18:51)Sailor4W Wrote: Well, I solved the question whether INNUOS or Nucleus: I now have a Nucleus loaner from my local dealer for a test.Setting it up was a breeze, simply migrated my license from the Mac Mini to the Nucleus, attached my 2 TB SSD holding my library and the Nucleus was up in a minute. The moment I played a few albums, I knew I wanted to keep this little thingy! The sound is neutral, but not dry, there's no glare whatsoever (which was prominent in quite a few albums streamed from my Mac Mini), and instrument separation is incredibly good. Most importantly, it is a pleasure to listen to the music coming from the Nucleus, and I do not get listening fatigue at all. It is a perfect match for the Devialet!

But don´t forget: The Nucleus is a ROON machine only. No way to run other streaming services (for the moment). With the INNUOS you are able to use the INNUOS with or without ROON and without ROON with Qobuz and Spotify. The switch between the ROON or non-ROON mode is just one simple click.
Formerly Devialet 220PRO CI, Magico A3, 2 Gold Phantoms, Dialog/Raspberry PI2 Digi+, ROON Rock NUC8i3, Bluesound Powernode 2i, B&W 607, Audirvana
(08-Jan-2019, 22:03)midi Wrote:
(07-Jan-2019, 18:51)Sailor4W Wrote: Well, I solved the question whether INNUOS or Nucleus: I now have a Nucleus loaner from my local dealer for a test.Setting it up was a breeze, simply migrated my license from the Mac Mini to the Nucleus, attached my 2 TB SSD holding my library and the Nucleus was up in a minute. The moment I played a few albums, I knew I wanted to keep this little thingy! The sound is neutral, but not dry, there's no glare whatsoever (which was prominent in quite a few albums streamed from my Mac Mini), and instrument separation is incredibly good. Most importantly, it is a pleasure to listen to the music coming from the Nucleus, and I do not get listening fatigue at all. It is a perfect match for the Devialet!

But don´t forget: The Nucleus is a ROON machine only. No way to run other streaming services (for the moment). With the INNUOS you are able to use the INNUOS with or without ROON and without ROON with Qobuz and Spotify. The switch between the ROON or non-ROON mode is just one simple click.

I am fully aware of that! I thought long about getting involved into a single-use software like Roon. I used the Aurender Conductor app for a long time and enjoying simultaneous access to Qobuz and Tidal. But Aurender‘s app is disappointingly meagre and once having seen Roon‘s outstanding software was convincing enough for me to switch to even a life-long license! I am also convinced that Roon will pull in other streaming services like Qobuz. But most convincing for me was the sound quality: the Nucleus throws a beautiful soundstage at you, most of all very natural and free of any digital glare. And the price for a Nucleus is very reasonable. No way I Amt going to spend money for, say, an Auralic G2, which is way too much.
I can not imagine that a Nucleus is better than a NUC i7 with ROCK. So the Nucleus offers no real sound benefit for the money. In this case I would save the money and would go with a NUC. I think the INNUOS offers a lot more benefits for the money.