Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roon - the next step?
(09-Jan-2019, 09:20)midi Wrote: I can not imagine that a Nucleus is better than a NUC i7 with ROCK. So the Nucleus offers no real sound benefit for the money. In this case I would save the money and would go with a NUC. I think the INNUOS offers a lot more benefits for the money.

Well, the Nucleus at least offered a significant step up when compared to my Mac Mini feeding the Devialet via AIR/Ethernet. The sound of the Mac Mini setup was nervous and quite plagued by treble glare. I just didn't feel like fiddling around with a NUC i7 and I preferred a turnkey solution. I am pretty happy with the Nucleus and compared to some of the more expensive streamers/renderers, it isn't excessively priced. But you are right, the NUC i7 route is cheaper!
SonicTransporter i5 - AirPort Extreme - Devialet Expert 120 - ATC SCM 19 v1
I just wish the nucleus didn’t have to be directly connected to router via Ethernet. My router is on the other side of the room from my devialet and a long Ethernet cable strung across the floor or attached to the wall will not pass the WAF test.

I guess my option would be to get a plug in Ethernet power lie adapter similar to this one on Amazon. i have a very fast and stable Fios connection and have plenty of WiFi bandwidth to stream 4 k movies, so it should suffice for hi res audio files. I wish the nucleus supported WiFi.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Powerline...5610&psc=1

Has anyone used one of the line adapter type devices listed in the link or do you know if it would possible to plug in a usb WiFi adapter to the nucleus to make it WiFi? I’m thinking not since there would be no means to input your WiFi credentials on the nucleus.
I used to use powerline adapters (Branded BT) between my NUC and my Devialet. I never had any issues whatsoever with reliability, and to my ears, the sound quality was no different to having a direct wired connection.
NUC i5/ROCK/Roon Lifetime =>  Original d'Atelier CoreInfinity #066 => Transparent MusicWave+ =>Wilson Sophia 3
(09-Jan-2019, 17:34)mmorrison55 Wrote: I just wish the nucleus didn’t have to be directly connected to router via Ethernet.  My router is on the other side of the room from my devialet and a long Ethernet cable strung across the floor or attached to the wall will not pass the WAF test.

I guess my option would be to get a plug in Ethernet power lie adapter similar to this one on Amazon.  i have a very fast and stable Fios connection and have plenty of WiFi bandwidth to stream 4 k movies, so it should suffice for hi res audio files. I wish the nucleus supported WiFi.

https://www.amazon.com/TP-Link-Powerline...5610&psc=1

Has anyone used one of the line adapter type devices listed in the link or do you know if it would possible to plug in a usb WiFi adapter to the nucleus to make it WiFi? I’m thinking not since there would be no means to input your WiFi credentials on the nucleus.

Oh yes, Ethernet cables! I know it can be an eyesore! I paid a substantial amount of money having the house wired decently. All cables (Cat 7a) run along tubes inside the walls, and the last bit of cable emanating from sockets are masked. The Ethernet runs two stories down from the modem/router to the living room. Now that it‘s done it‘s great! No way I would‘ve pulled the cables myself through the house.
SonicTransporter i5 - AirPort Extreme - Devialet Expert 120 - ATC SCM 19 v1
My MacBook Air which runs Roon and Tidal communicates to the 250 via WiFi which itself is connected to the router via Ethernet. This runs without a hitch. However, out of interest, I ran Wifisweetspot to gauge rhe speed of the WiFi and it returned an average of 385 mbps. Running WiFi SweetSpot instantly caused distortion of the music. SweetSpot was running on my iPad not the MacBook but instantly sucked up a huge amount of bandwidth. Anyway, at 385 mbps it would appear to me that the 250 is not normally being short changed by the WiFi.
Devialet 1000 Pro CI, Chord Signature Reference speaker cables, B&W 803 D3 speakers

Roon lifetime licence, Tidal.
Just an update for anyone who is interested or has contributed to this thread.
I have now ordered the Roon Nucleus. After a lot of deliberation and waiting for the Melco to be Roon ready my hand was forced really as I had another episode of Wifi problems.
If any of you have followed my posts (rants) on here you will know that I am keen to get a USB connection so this will now be achieved with the Nucleus.
My Roon Core has been running on my work lap top which was 5 years old. It was time to replace this and I did so with a Lenovo i7 8th gen model.
I transferred my Roon Core to this as it was a much higher spec machine. Or is it ? ;-)
This is where my problems started. Roon performance using wifi was poor .
I am having to press play in between 5 and 10 times to get an album playing , whether it is Tidal or my own music. I get the running blue line in the track playing section. Audio device being used is another message that pops up.
It had to be the new lap top as nothing else has changed. So I connected the new lap top by Ethernet to the router and yes it works great. So it’s a wifi issue. As you will know I am no expert but apparently newer lap tops sometimes have inferior parts to the older ones to keep costs down. It looks like my new laptop has a worse wifi adapter than my old one……..you could not make this up ;-)
I know Roon recommend a hard wired connection to the Roon Core , but I have never had this as in my set up this is impossible.
Also with my system I connect the lap top by USB when I do my serious listening. So with the new lap top it does not give me the USB zone. I need to persist with this as I just gave up last night.
Another thing I have noticed before the new lap top is I think Roon 1.6 has a lot more issues than previous versions, so it is maybe a combination of this and the new lap top that has caused these issues.
I am looking on the positive side though. This finally broke me and the Nucleus is on order. A wait time of 8 weeks though, so I may have to reinstall Roon on the old lap top if things do not improve.
Devialet 200 -- Roon Nucleus-- Sonus Faber Olympica 2 -- Tellurium Q Black Speaker Cables --
Chord Qutest -- Niimbus US5 Pro Headphone amp —HifiMan HEK, Abyss 1266TC
Newcastle upon Tyne, England
(04-Apr-2019, 11:32)Womaz Wrote: Just an update for anyone who is interested or has contributed to this thread.
I have now ordered the Roon Nucleus. After a lot of deliberation and waiting for the Melco to be Roon ready my hand was forced really as I had another episode of Wifi problems.
If any of you have followed my posts (rants) on here you will know that I am keen to get a USB connection so this will now be achieved with the Nucleus.
My Roon Core has been running on my work lap top which was 5 years old. It was time to replace this and I did so with a Lenovo i7 8th gen model.
I transferred my Roon Core to this as it was a much higher spec machine. Or is it ? ;-)
I am having to press play in between 5 and 10 times to get an album playing , whether it is Tidal or my own music. I get the running blue line in the track playing section. Audio device being used is another message that pops up.
It had to be the new lap top as nothing else has changed. So I connected the new lap top by Ethernet to the router and yes it works great. So it’s a wifi issue. As you will know I am no expert but apparently newer lap tops sometimes have inferior parts to the older ones to keep costs down. It looks like my new laptop has a worse wifi adapter than my old one……..you could not make this up ;-)
I know Roon recommend a hard wired connection to the Roon Core , but I have never had this as in my set up this is impossible.
Also with my system I connect the lap top by USB when I do my serious listening. So with the new lap top it does not give me the USB zone. I need to persist with this as I just gave up last night.
Another thing I have noticed before the new lap top is I think Roon 1.6 has a lot more issues than previous versions, so it is maybe a combination of this and the new lap top that has caused these issues.
I am looking on the positive side though. This finally broke me and the Nucleus is on order. A wait time of 8 weeks though, so I may have to reinstall Roon on the old lap top if things do not improve.

What is your experience with the Nucleus? I’m at the point i want to ditch my iMac wich i use as a Roon Core and thinking about getting the Innuos ZenMini mk3 worh an wxternal power supply. What made you choose for the Nucleus in stead of the Innuos? And what is the difference in sound when you compare the Nucleus with your older laptop setup?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk
Devialet 220 Pro / Wilson Benesch Vertex / Linn LP12 / Crystal Cable Crystalspeak Piccolo Diamond / Audioquest Vodka Ethernet / Roon / The Netherlands
(31-Dec-2019, 09:17)KraaijCheck Wrote:
(04-Apr-2019, 11:32)Womaz Wrote: Just an update for anyone who is interested or has contributed to this thread.

What is your experience with the Nucleus? I’m at the point i want to ditch my iMac wich i use as a Roon Core and thinking about getting the Innuos ZenMini mk3 worh an wxternal power supply. What made you choose for the Nucleus in stead of the Innuos? And what is the difference in sound when you compare the Nucleus with your older laptop setup?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPhone met Tapatalk

And what do you guys think of the Silent Angel Z1 to run Roon Core?

Verzonden vanaf mijn iPad met Tapatalk
Devialet 220 Pro / Wilson Benesch Vertex / Linn LP12 / Crystal Cable Crystalspeak Piccolo Diamond / Audioquest Vodka Ethernet / Roon / The Netherlands
I chose the Roon Nucleus+ because it's powerful, small, and fanless. I did not notice any difference in sound quality compared to running Roon on a PC (except that my PC is having fan noise where as the Nucleus+ is totally silent).

I could have chosen for example Innuos, but I got worried about things that were mentioned here:
https://community.roonlabs.com/t/about-t...gory/76636

I wanted to buy a product that is fully supported by Roon.
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
(31-Dec-2019, 10:04)KraaijCheck Wrote: And what do you guys think of the Silent Angel Z1 to run Roon Core?

It appears that they are not an official Roon partner: https://community.roonlabs.com/t/rhein-z1-roon-server-official-or-unlicensed-unlicensed/79492

I
 didn't get good results running Roon on my iMac which I was quite surprised about. There was a distinct lack of bass and it generally just sounded really bright and horrible. Whether this was the iMac itself or something else in the audio path I never found out. I thought about buying a Roon Nucleus but the cost put me off. In the end I bought a NUC and a fan-less case and built my own. It was fairly easy to build and set up and it now sounds great.