Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SAM lab - Australian news for SAM lab.. read if you want your speakers samed.
Really interesting. Thanks for posting that hkychan.
Thanks hkychan for sharing.
Before: Le200, KEF LS50, AQ Type4, NUC 5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, Win8.1/AIR2.1.3/RoonBridge, MM/AIR3/RoonBridge, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS, AQ NRG-X3

Now: KEF LS50W, NUC5i5RYH/8GB/128GB M.2SSD, Roon, QNAP TS-212P 5TB NAS,iFi iSilencer3.0+DC iPurifier+iPurifier2, Sonos ZP80+SPDIF iPurifier

@hkychan fantastic write up, thanks for sharing!  Smile

Guillaume
Industry disclosure: UK distributor for Shunyata Research

220 PRO, totaldac d1 server with additional external power supply, totaldac d1-seven, Echole PSU for Totaldac, Wilson Audio Sasha 2, Shunyata Research cables, Shunyata Hydra Alpha A10 + DPC-6 v3, Various Entreq ground boxes and cables, Entreq Athena level 3 rack, 2 X SOtM sNH-10G with sCLK-EX + 10MHz Master Clock input + sPS-500 PSU, i5 sonicTransporter w/ 1TB SSD

UK
Excellent posts hkychan! It gives hope to those of us who have speakers that haven't been SAMd yet.

Looking at the SAM traces on the Devialet web-site your speakers were already excellent before SAM so I guess they must be truly awesome now Smile
IMac macOS 10.15.3 (no link to Devialet Sad ) / MacBook Pro Retina OS X 10.14.4 / Linn LP12 / Devialet 200 Wilson Benesch Discovery. 
Qobuz Desktop Latest Version / Audirvana 3.2.18 / Audirvana Remote / iTunes 12.9 / AIR 3.0.4 / Wi-Fi / FW 8.1.0 / SAM 50%
Cambridge, UK (Updated 27th February, 2020)
I just put myself on the Hong Kong list. They are doing an event on 22nd and SAM around town on 23rd and may be 24th.
(10-Jun-2015, 09:55)warpeon Wrote: I just put myself on the Hong Kong list. They are doing an event on 22nd and SAM around town on 23rd and may be 24th.

Thx all for the feedback. I seldom post in any forum but the effort of Devialet team really deserve me to spend sometime to share here of the great things they did.

Hi Warpeon, I have booked 24th June afternoon for two speakers model to be SAM in Hong Kong. Really looking forward to that. And I am sure you will be amazed by the change.
Given we now know SAM profiles are apparently based on measured driver linear excursion rather than any actual measured sound or dB readings I'm curious if applying a SAM profile from a similarly-sized and configured speaker might respond favorably when adapted to an unSAM'd speaker using the identical driver? Intuitively I would think as long as speaker internal volume is similar and reflex or sealed configurations are adhered to they 'should' be very close. This could make non-SAM'd two-way bookshelf speakers relatively easy to adapt to an existing SAM profile. Least now I'm not afraid to try it. But I'm gonna need a L-O-T more SD Cards!
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
@hkychan, thanks for sharing!

@Manoet, loudspeakers are also measured electronically for SAM not just the excursion of the drivers. The LS internal crossover filters will probably differ between types/brands of loudspeakers even when the same "identical" drivers are used. I put identical between quotes because subtle differences sometimes because of customizations can't also been seen from the outside. So no, I wouldn't do what you're planning...
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Thanks Antoine! I thought about that after I posted but wondered even with the XO differences could low-volume auditioning really be destructive or harmful on very closely matched speakers? My setup is in the near field and my volume has yet to see higher than -28. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I would think I'd hear something REALLY destructive long before I approached a volume where physical damage could occur. I would think I'd be no worse off than a few SAM profiles people have tried at higher volumes with awful results. 'Course I could be wrong but wondering. What say thee?

*EDIT* I did just try more volume and got it down to -16 but I'm sure the neighbors could hear it and it was WAY too loud for anything resembling pleasure... but then so is -24 tho I might be able to tolerate -26 short term. Most days I'm at -30 to -32 for critical listening and -40 for background music. I can honestly say it'll never see -16 again while in my keep!
Statements in my posts are opinion only, not to be construed as fact. Any projects I engage in are at my own risk! Their outcome cannot be assured and may result in success, small/no change or catastrophic failure. I encourage no one rely on anything I say or do as gospel and to realize your mileage may vary!
I don't think it's a matter of risk of creating damage but more if the SAM modifications to the output signal (which are tailored to a specific type of loudspeaker) are useful in helping performance (sound quality).

IMO applying a SAM modified signal to loudspeaker A while it was tailored to/for loudspeaker B is like hoping your car will run better running the engine management software for a different car. It's unpredictable and messy and not likely to produce better results. Again: IMO. Smile
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands