Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
SOtM SMS-200
After much hype and excitement with the microRendu this year, along comes the SOtM SMS-200.  Early reports so far seam to be claiming it is sonically superior to the microRendu, and as well as being quite a bit cheaper, quite an achievement! 

http://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english...m/sms-200/

The following is stolen from Antoine's posts in his own system thread.  (included here for forum neatness and completeness)

The SMS-200 in a way is a "shameless copy" of the Sonore microRendu. It was released after the microRendu but it has the exact same functionality (though in addition to the mR it has two additional USB ports to connect a USB drive or harddisk).  I will use it as a drop-in replacement of the mR between the fiber media converter and the Mutec. It's ethernet in and USB out.

The Youtube review by fellow Dutchman Hans Beekhuizen (https://youtu.be/TV-FvRF9KGA) and comments by a fellow called Romaz (who also owns a SR7 PSU like I do) who both liked it better than the mR made me decide to try it as well.

Romaz's comments on SQ:
http://www.head-fi.org/t/766517/chord-el...t_13067878

I have compared microRendu powered by the Paul Hynes SR7 against a recently purchased SOtM sMS-200 which is also powered by the SR7.  Compared against the LPS-1, I have found the SR7 to be superior.  USB cable used is a Clarity Cables Natural USB which is one of few USB cables that has been actually measured to meet true USB 2.0 spec (90 ohms differential impedance).  This cable outperformed and replaced my Curious USB which outperformed and replaced my TotalDac USB.  I have recently compared it against the RedNet 3 via SPDIF:

[Image: LL]

[Image: LL]

With each connected to my Chord DAVE, RedNet 3 sounded very good, a bit better than the microRendu with iFi 9V PSU.  As you suggested, details were a bit cleaner.  With the microRendu powered by the SR7, soundstage of the microRendu was much bigger with more air and much better dynamics but clarity with RedNet was still a bit better.  In comparison, microRendu sounded a bit muffled.  Which one is better between these two, I think it's a toss up.  It depends on which qualities you value more.

The winner of the group by a fair margin, however, was the SOtM sMS-200 powered by the SR7.  This is now my new reference front end with my DAVE and surpasses the microRendu by a fair margin and for less money ($450).  In fact, it is the least expensive device of this group.  It matched every bit the clarity and the smoothness of the RedNet but the soundstage was bigger still and with extraordinary dynamics.  Compared to RedNet, RedNet sounds flat.  Treble edge or glare?  I'm not hearing any of it.  This device is very clean and the PSU has a lot to do with it.  Part of this is almost certainly due to DAVE's exceptional USB implementation which incorporates galvanic isolation.  While the RedNet 3 holds much promise, I suspect its downfall is its PSU.  

Regarding your system, consider replacing your HDPlex.  With your Mac Mini, you will be quite surprised how much better the Paul Hynes supplies are.  I say this because I have an HDPlex also in addition to a Teradak, Paul Pang, Kenneth Lau and LPS-1.  None of them are in the SR7's league.  Since Paul Hynes is based in Scotland, it should be easier for you to audition one.

From a personal perspective I am interested in if the SOtM SMS-200 provides a worthwhile improvement feeding the Mutec MCS+USB, so I look forward to Antoine's observations once he has spent some time with his own SOtM SMS-200.
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Thanks Confused!

The posts I write in my system topic are as much about sharing with this forum as they are for me personally as a log of the changes I made in my own system. Writing primarily there does occassionally conflict with not wanting to cross post the same things in other topics, new like this one or existing ones.

I'll share my "results" both there and here in this occasion. Smile
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
Hi antoine,
I m really looking forward to your comment or review btw microrendu or sms200.
I m about to push the button for sms200+ sbooster ps....
Am i right?? Enjoy the listening and take your time and let us know!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Hi Samsoum,

I wouldn't wait for my comments. Smile These could take considerably longer, may never come and/or are not really applicable to others that don't own the Mutec. I've explained the why's in more detail here: http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?t...9#pid54749

The SMS-200 would be a no-brainer IMO but I would surely look at the Uptone Audio LPS-1 as an alternative for the SBooster PS. I think it is the superior choice and it is confirmed to be compatible with the SMS-200.
PS Audio P3, Shunyata ΞTRON Alpha Digital and HC/Furutech power cables, Paul Hynes SR7EHD-MR4, DIY Roon Server & Roon Endpoint running AudioLinux Headless, Phasure Lush^2 USB cable, Audioquest Diamond RJ/E ethernet, Uptone Audio etherREGEN, Mutec MC-3+ USB, Shunyata ΞTRON Anaconda Digital XLR AES/EBU, Devialet Expert 250 Pro CI, Nordost Tyr Reference LS cables, Von Schweikert VR-5 SE Anniversary Edition, Anti-Mode Dual Core 2.0, JL Audio Fathom F112. More detail here.

The Netherlands
(14-Dec-2016, 13:06)Antoine Wrote: Hi Samsoum,

I wouldn't wait for my comments. Smile These could take considerably longer, may never come and/or are not really applicable to others that don't own the Mutec. I've explained the why's in more detail here: http://devialetchat.com/showthread.php?t...9#pid54749

The SMS-200 would be a no-brainer IMO but I would surely look at the Uptone Audio LPS-1 as an alternative for the SBooster PS. I think it is the superior choice and it is confirmed to be compatible with the SMS-200.

You may also try their own power supply for Sotm 200. It is powered by battery and should perform superior than any LPS.

http://www.sotm-audio.com/sotmwp/english.../mbps-d2s/
QNAP 453A(Roon Core Lifetime)->SOtM SMS200->Devialet 250 Expert Pro(Graditech Vioma 1)->Boenicke W8

I strongly disagree with the notion that battery supplies outperform any LPS. There's good battery supplies and there's good LPSU's and there's "less good" in each category.

One has to ask oneselve what makes a good PSU and when one does it quickly becomes clear it's a very complex subject. What I have learned thus far is that a good PSU emits low levels of self noise, has a high PSRR (power supply rejection ratio=the ability to reject outside noise), has a low output impedance, is able to respond to and recover from quick transients quickly and stably. And all this over a wide frequency range especially when it is used to power digital circuits.

Someone who does a great job (much better than I can so I won't even try) at explaining these difficult matters is John Swenson over at computeraudiophile.com. I'd recommend looking up his posts if anyone's interested.

For now I will just say that I'd choose the Uptone LPS-1 over the SoTM battery for powering the SMS-200 or microRendu without any hesitation. The Uptone is a supercapacitor based design, always disconnected from AC/other components and has the advantages of the classic battery supply but not the common downsides. I myself have chosen a high quality linear power supply from Paul Hynes (SR7EHD-MR4) one of the best audiophile PSU's 'out there'. It's able to power four devices from four isolated rails. I believe it to be even better than the LPS-1.

The Netherlands
Hi, I've been speaking Itemaudio regarding getting the sMS-200 and am now considering power supplies, but can't run to the cost of a Paul Hynes and the like.

Item sell KingRex which they recommended for the sMS-200 but I am also interested in MCRU LPS ( I note that GuillaumeB has a few) and wondered what experience people have of these products. I am also confused that Uptone seem to suggest a $15 power supply to the LPS-1, but MCRU have one at 235 pounds. Isn't that supplying one really good LPS into another one.

Probably me but a bit confused...

Thanks

and Merry Christmas wherever you are in the world....
Innuos Statement, D1000 Pro CI, Shunyata Denali, Alpha v2, Delta v2 and Venom NR12 power cords, Sigma v1 speaker cables, Omega USB, PMC IB2se, Townshend Isolation Podiums.

Marantz SR7012, OPPO BDP 105D, PMC OB1s (Rears), PMC Twenty C (Centre).

South East Wales, UK
(23-Dec-2016, 16:39)Carcrashboy Wrote: Hi, I've been speaking Itemaudio regarding getting the sMS-200 and am now considering power supplies, but can't run to the cost of a Paul Hynes and the like.

Item sell KingRex which they recommended for the sMS-200 but I am also interested in MCRU LPS ( I note that GuillaumeB has a few) and wondered what experience people have of these products. I am also confused that Uptone seem to suggest a $15 power supply to the LPS-1, but MCRU have one at 235 pounds. Isn't that supplying one really good LPS into another one.

Probably me but a bit confused...

Thanks

and Merry Christmas wherever you are in the world....

No, I think it's MCRU that are confused, or just a simple error, or wishful thinking for the sales.

Uptone themselves clearly state the 'energising supply' makes no difference on the LPS-1, other than possible mains pollution (which they pretty much dismiss as an issue). I don't have one, just from what I've read.

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Hifi_swlon is correct, feeding the LPS-1 with an LPSU will not make any difference to sound quality.  However, I do not think MCRU are confused at all, there have been plenty of folk on Computer Audiophile expressing a desire to feed the LPS-1 with a LPSU, MCRU sell LPSU's, the design is done, just advertise that the model with the correct power and voltage that is suitable for the LPS-1, and watch a few sales come in.  Of course there is the issue of eliminating 'wall warts' and SMPS power supplies, but to be honest, my house is stuffed full of wall warts, and last time I checked my 1000 Pro had two high powered SMPSU's lurking inside, I think you can worry about this stuff too much!  And in terms of 'gunge being fed into the mains', I can turn the Dev's up to +10dB, with wall warts everywhere, and hear nothing but total and utter silence.  (until I accidently hit 'play') Confused
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
(24-Dec-2016, 12:43)Confused Wrote: Hifi_swlon is correct, feeding the LPS-1 with an LPSU will not make any difference to sound quality. However, I do not think MCRU are confused at all, there have been plenty of folk on Computer Audiophile expressing a desire to feed the LPS-1 with a LPSU, MCRU sell LPSU's, the design is done, just advertise that the model with the correct power and voltage that is suitable for the LPS-1, and watch a few sales come in. Of course there is the issue of eliminating 'wall warts' and SMPS power supplies, but to be honest, my house is stuffed full of wall warts, and last time I checked my 1000 Pro had two high powered SMPSU's lurking inside, I think you can worry about this stuff too much! And in terms of 'gunge being fed into the mains', I can turn the Dev's up to +10dB, with wall warts everywhere, and hear nothing but total and utter silence. (until I accidently hit 'play') Confused

I actually made exactly this point about noise on the mains on another forum and actually stated that I could turn mine up to +30 dB and hear silence. Apparently the nasty insidious mains born noise doesn't actually appear until you play some music.... quite how it knows to start then I am unsure, possibly quantum entanglement or something simple like that

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD
UK kit - Technics SP10 - Technics EPA-501  - AT33SA - NUC5i3 - W10 - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet 1000 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable (0.5 metre each side) - Magico S5

Spain kit - NUC7i5 - W10  - Roonserver - Roon AIR - Devialet D250 Pro CI - Blue Jeans Speaker Cable - Ergo IX speakers