Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roon 1.6 ... with Qobuz
There seems to be a bit of confusion around with regard to RAAT and the Devialet and you'e not the only person grappling with it.

If you read the explanation of RAAT that the signal path screen gave you, it says: "(RAAT: is Roon's native streaming technology. It delivers bit-perfect audio from Roon to local outputs, networked outputs, and Roon Ready devices". "Local outputs" are outputs like USB, SPDIF, and analog outputs which your device, your Lumin, sends to another device, in this case you're Devialet. What happens between the local output and the device connected to it is up to your device. "Networked outputs" are outputs which Roon can communicate with over a network via wifi or ethernet. "Roon Ready devices" are devices which can communicate with Roon using RAAT.

Roon will recognise your Devialet as a networked device if you connect it to the same network that Roon is using so you have to have the Devialet connected to your network via wifi or ethernet for it to be a networked device. Currently Roon will recognise the Devialet as a networked device but it can only communicate with it by using it's inbuilt version of Devialet's AIR streaming technology. The Devialet needs an update to give it the ability to communicate with Roon using RAAT.

In their Roon User Guide Roon say that Roon can communicate with USB DACs via RAAT and the Devialet can act as a USB DAC, you're using it as a USB DAC, but the Devialet isn't yet RAAT capable. I'm not clear what will happen with USB when the Devialet gets its RAAT update. I know it will be able to recognise the Devialet ass a Roon Ready device over a network so we'll be able to use RAAT with wifi and ethernet connections but it's not clear to me whether it will recognise the Devialet as RAAT capable over a USB connection. I don't know if all devices connected via USB are automatically seen as "networked devices" and it's clear that not all "networked devices" can be communicated with via RAAT because Roon sees the Devialet as a networked device over a wifi or ethernet connection but it can only currently stream to the Devialet by using AIR, Devialet's streaming technology.

I think there's going to be some interesting posts and some questions raised when the Devialet becomes Roon Ready and can communicate with Roon using RAAT.

Stay tuned for some fun and games because I think we're going to see some interesting issues raised. I suspect it's going to boil down to whether Roon can communicate directly with the Devialet over the connection. We know it can do that via wifi and ethernet but I don't know if it will be able to do so via a USB connection. It may depend on whether the device with the USB output can act in some kind of "pass through" mode which lets the Devialet communicate directly with Roon or whether it can only use its own method of communicating over USB. I use an Antipodes DS and if I use the USB output my signal path display says that Roon uses RAAT to the Antipodes USB output but it then goes on to show that the Antipodes uses ALSA, a Linux technology, to send the signal to my Devialet so it seems that my Antipodes passes a little bit more info back to Roon than your Lumin does. I have no idea whether my Antipodes will be able to pass the RAAT signal its USB output receives directly on to my Devialet unchanged or whether it's still going to use ALSA to get the signal from its USB output to the Devialet and while I have no idea what my Antipodes is going to do, I have even less idea what other devices like your Lumin are going to do with USB output. I'm not too concerned about that because my Devialet is connected via ethernet but I am interested. If I can use RAAT over the USB connection I will try it as an alternative to ethernet to see which I prefer but at the moment I have a slight preference for the ethernet connection.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia