Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Roon 1.6 ... with Qobuz
Quote:Qobuz is not available in NA and though it is on the way for the US, it may not come to Canada. I've tried Tidal twice and bailed each time. Still, I hope we do get Qobuz as I understand that it has a better classical library. 

We dont have Qobuz in Sweden but it is easy to get around. I got a VPN account at Nord VPN, selected that I am in United Kingdom (select France if you want Qobuz in French). Started a free month with hi-res streaming in Qobuz and it works as it should with Roon.
You only need to use the VPN service at Qobuz registration as it looks at your IP adress where you are in the world after that you can go back to using the regular IP.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(24-Jan-2019, 03:21)Wdw Wrote:
(23-Jan-2019, 19:32)Damon Wrote: All,

Quick question on the radio aspect of the update. Is this a radio/ learning kind of thing, where is plays music from your library or Tidal or Qobuz that ROON considers to be similar to the artist or song genre that you first select?

Or is it an internet radio tuner, such that I can easily go to various internet radio stations. I had a ROON trial and the lack of useable internet radio was a deal killer for us. That and the Tidal only streaming support. I'm thinking of Simple radio or TuneIn radio as ideal examples of what I need.

Thanks.

This new update, as they tell us, has a new “more intelligent, enhanced, AI” feature so using a learning behaviour that will base all the following song selections on the one song you have chosen for the search.  Said to improve over time as you accept or deny the choices proffered.  Perhaps it will finally be telling you f#ck off, sit down, shut the f#ck up and listen...and don’t touch that remote if you want this to work out for you. Big Grin
You can elect to limit ROON to search from your library only or to also include any streaming services you may subscribe to...in a Canadian environment that is likely to be Tidal until we have Qobuz at hand.  I have often used ROON RADIO to discover some of those buried and forgotten bits in the darker corners of our hard drive.
The internet radio feature is, as you describe, a simple URL subscription service.   Think they imagine that the quality is so crappy that it would be better served listening to this with a desk top Bluetooth thingy.  As we do.

I didn‘t realize that you can set Radio to restrict its search to your local library or to include Qobuz/Tidal! I must try! The new though thing with Radio is that you can start it from any track you like (by hitting the track and you‘ll get the option, among others, to start Radio).

I do agree that Roon Radio unveiled some long forgotten gems in my library. I often let Radio drift away to listen to amazing combinations from my library. I am curious to see the new Roon Radio to drift into Qobuz/Tidal waters.
SonicTransporter i5 - AirPort Extreme - Devialet Expert 120 - ATC SCM 19 v1
(24-Jan-2019, 07:03)octaviars Wrote:
Quote:Qobuz is not available in NA and though it is on the way for the US, it may not come to Canada. I've tried Tidal twice and bailed each time. Still, I hope we do get Qobuz as I understand that it has a better classical library. 

We dont have Qobuz in Sweden but it is easy to get around. I got a VPN account at Nord VPN, selected that I am in United Kingdom (select France if you want Qobuz in French). Started a free month with hi-res streaming in Qobuz and it works as it should with Roon.
You only need to use the VPN service at Qobuz registration as it looks at your IP adress where you are in the world after that you can go back to using the regular IP.

Good you find a way to get Qobuz in Sweden! We had it for a long time in Switzerland. I vastly prefer Qobuz over the hip-hop-driven Tidal. I guess I‘ll cancel my Tidal subscription now that Qobuz is integrated into the version 1.6.
(24-Jan-2019, 07:03)octaviars Wrote:

So, if I read this right, anyone could set up a Qobuz account whilst on holiday in a country that Qobuz services? If that's the case I could ask some Dutch mates of mine to set up an account.  Idea
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
@Pim as long as the IP adress of the computer is in a country that Qobuz is available in when you register it will work. When you sign up for the free trial month you have to register a card for future payment or Paypal so I went with Paypal as that is not connected to any country.
Speakers:TAD CE-1. Amplifier: TAD M2500mk2. Digital: TAD DA1000-TX, Innuos Statement Next-gen, Innuos PhoenixNET.

Miscellaneous: Qobuz Studio, Ansuz Mainz 8 D2, Ansuz Darkz DTC, Tubulus Argentus ethernet cable, Tubulus Concentus USB cable, Tubulus Argentus V2 XLR cable, Tubulus Argentus V3 + V3 bass, iFi Nova powercables. 

Second system
Qobuz Studio -> Devialet Silver Phantom, Devialet Tree

(24-Jan-2019, 10:29)octaviars Wrote: @Pim as long as the IP adress of the computer is in a country that Qobuz is available in when you register it will work. When you sign up for the free trial month you have to register a card for future payment or Paypal so I went with Paypal as that is not connected to any country.

I might give that a try. Thanks mate.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
I upgraded Roon as soon 1.6 got released and I am listening to Qobuz via my Innuos Zenith II and I am very happy with the sound and UI. The Zenith/Roon allows 2 different connections to my D250: USB or ethernet via AIR.It sounds little different but I have not any preference. It is great to have so much more music available through Qobuz and it is a nice Roon feature that one can see what is available on one owns selection and what is available on Qobuz. I see that quite a lot of my weird albums are not in the Qobuz catalog but obviously the reverse is much more true. Comparing the the same album from local storage or streamed via Qobuz I find the local sounds better (more resolution , better decay). I wonder wether a better ethernet cable (cat7 already) would make a difference or should I obsess about my ethernet router?
(24-Jan-2019, 18:17)Music or sound Wrote: I upgraded Roon as soon 1.6 got released and I am listening to Qobuz via my Innuos Zenith II and I am very happy with the sound and UI. The Zenith/Roon allows 2 different connections to my D250: USB or ethernet via AIR.It sounds little different but I have not any preference. It is great to have so much more music available through Qobuz and it is a nice Roon feature that one can see what is available on one owns selection and what is available on Qobuz. I see that quite a lot of my weird albums are not in the Qobuz catalog but obviously the reverse is much more true. Comparing the the same album from local storage or streamed via Qobuz I find the local sounds better (more resolution , better decay). I wonder wether a better ethernet cable (cat7 already) would make a difference or should I obsess about my ethernet router?

Initially, when looking for a new streamer, I was very much attracted by the Innuos Zenith! I must say I liked it and I was about to order one, till I got a chance to audition a Nucleus. It not only sounded good, it was the most streamlined solution I could get. The inbuilt Roon AIR protocol is rock solid and I don‘t need the remote control anymore.

Roon‘s version 1.6 with Qobuz is GREAT! Interestin that the locally stored albums should sound better than the streamed ones. I do not doubt that you hear a difference but when reading through the force, people say there‘s no difference. Whatever, you trust your own ears!

With the version 1.6 I find myself streaming a lot via Qobuz. It might change once I get used to seeing it integrated, but I essentially replaced all my Tidal library albums with Qobuz albums, except one.

I don‘t know about Ethernet cables: there are many saying that Cat 5a is perfectly well suited for even high res streaming. I wouldn’t worry too much about cables!

I feed my Devialet Expert 120 exclusively through the Ethernet port. Initially, I had the Nucleus connected via USB, but once switching to Ethernet, I heard a bit better channel separation. Also the sound is alittle smoother via Ethernet. Not by much, but noticeable. So I stick to Ethernet.
To those who has both Tidal and Qobuz, which streaming sounds better in your opinion?

On streaming vs local, my experience told me the latter sounds much better. I attribute it to the lack of network and traffic noise.
Technics SL-1200G | Ortofon Cadenza Bronze | Audio Technica AT-ART9 | Hana ML
Nucleus+ | Melco N1ZS/2EX | D100 | S100 | Telegärtner M12 | Accustic Arts Drive II
Devialet Original d'Atelier | Vivid Audio G3 Giya
Gold Phantom Opéra de Paris
S  I  N  G  A  P  O  R  E
(26-Jan-2019, 16:38)tategoi Wrote: To those who has both Tidal and Qobuz, which streaming sounds better in your opinion?

On streaming vs local, my experience told me the latter sounds much better. I attribute it to the lack of network and traffic noise.

Hardly a difference between Tidal and Qobuz for 16/44 streams, although my impression is that Tidal sounds just a tad brighter, but I couldn't swear on it! To me, the Hi Res files from Qobuz do sound better than the corresponding MQA files. MQAs have the tendency of sounding a little grainy in my system, but still, they are good!

Streaming vs local: haven't paid attention to. Will need to evaluate.