Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Sam
Has anyone had experience using Audio Note an-E-lx Hemp speaker’s with the amp
? I see that there is a setting for the An-E SPE Speaker , can I use its setting for mine ? I have a 220 Expert Pro , thanks Chris
(28-Jul-2020, 22:00)Chrisey22 Wrote: Has anyone had experience using Audio Note an-E-lx Hemp speaker’s with the amp
? I see that there is a setting for the An-E SPE Speaker , can I use its setting for mine ? I have a 220 Expert Pro , thanks Chris

If the SAM profile is for your exact speaker brand and model, absolutely, go for it and try!

If it is not the exact same model, I don’t recommend it, because at best it won’t be accurate and at worse it could damage your speakers if the woofer(s)/boomer(s) are different from the model with the profile or even if the acoustic load and/or the filtering is different. 

Jean-Marie
MacBook Air M2 -> RAAT/Air -> WiFi -> PLC -> Ethernet -> Devialet 220pro with Core Infinity (upgraded from 120) -> AperturA Armonia
France
Thanks . At the bottom of the sam page on the Devialet site they give a number to ring so I will try that .
Good luck.
I tried SAM with two different pairs of speakers and there´s no difference for me between on and off  or at 0% or 100%.
Maibe i´m a bit deaf.
But i keep SAM on (30%) anyway, don´t ask me why.
Mac mini with Roon, Devialet 220 Pro CI, Black Sixteen speaker cables, Sonus Faber Guarneri Tradition and a pair of ears.
@Chrisey22
Don't use SAM if it's not for your exact speaker model.

@BoyScout
Hmmm... Difference is pretty significant - depth, control, tightness - and low frequencies boost is easily measurable.

Dynaudio Contour 60 in my room with and without SAM (50%):

[Image: 2020-02-03-07-52-12-Dynaudio-Full-Range-...t-5d-B.png]
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

(29-Jul-2020, 11:36)Delija Wrote: @BoyScout
Hmmm... Difference is pretty significant - depth, control, tightness - and low frequencies boost is easily measurable.

Dynaudio Contour 60 in my room with and without SAM (50%):

I understand, just i can´t hear a difference, so far.
Just happens with SAM. If someone touches in a cable or any other detail, i´ll feel it right away.
Mac mini with Roon, Devialet 220 Pro CI, Black Sixteen speaker cables, Sonus Faber Guarneri Tradition and a pair of ears.
Thanks for the info people, I won’t setup with Sam until I know for sure.
@BoyScout ,

What you're going to hear with SAM depends a fair bit on your speakers and what SAM can do with them, but also and probably to a greater degree on your room, where you place your speakers, and where you sit.

Take a look at the plot in @Delija 's post. The biggest change is at around 25 Hz where he already had a peak, and that peak is maybe 6 dB higher with SAM. The peak itself is probably a room mode. How much a room mode is activated by the speaker depends on where the speaker is placed in the room so if his speakers were placed in the corners, for example, the peak would probably be higher. It also depends on where you sit, or in this case, place the mic for your measurements. Sit/place the mic in a high pressure zone in the room and the peak will measure higher than if you place it in a low pressure zone. If you have the speakers in places where they aren't maximally activating the mode you won't get as big a peak and if you then sit or measure at a point in a low pressure zone for that mode you'll also reduce the level of the peak further.

I don't know your room, where you have your speakers placed, or where you're sitting but it's probably quite possible to produce a bigger difference than the plot shows, and it's also possible to produce a smaller, even a much smaller difference. I was once auditioning a speaker in a dealer's showroom with one of my own CDs and I could not hear a prominent repeating bass note when sitting in the listening chair but when I stepped about a pace forward as I got up to change the disc I moved into a pressure zone and suddenly got a strong bass note. The combination of speaker placement and listening position can make a very big difference in what you can hear in the bass. SAM doesn't change that behaviour. You'll get more bass output from the speaker but how audible the bass will be, both with and without SAM, depends on speaker placement and listening position..

Take a look at the dip around 50 hz in the plot. Between roughly 40 Hz and 60 Hz there's virtually no difference with and without SAM. It may be that SAM is providing little correction in that area because the speaker doesn't need correction in that area but the reason for the dip in that region will be probably be that the mic is in a low pressure zone for those frequencies and the cancellations occurring at the measurement point there are minimising the difference. Compare the plot at that point around 50 Hz and then at the dip below 30 Hz where the difference is bigger, even though the with and without SAM plots are showing the same dip.

As @Delija said, the difference SAM makes can be pretty significant but speaker placement and listening position choices can make that difference difficult or impossible to notice, especially when you also add in the fact that at those frequencies the sensitivity of our ears is dropping pretty strongly.

You could try moving your listening position forward or back a bit a foot or two at a time to see if that makes a difference, and also moving your speakers but if you can't hear a difference I'd be inclined to run without SAM and give the amp an easier time because SAM works the amp a fair bit harder getting that boost it can give and if you can't hear it then there's no point in driving the amp harder.

So, the main reason for the difference in your experience and @Delija 's experience with SAM and how noticeable it is may well be largely due to where each of you have your speakers and listening positions placed in relation to your respective room's pressure zones at low frequencies. SAM works on speaker behaviour but room behaviour determines what you're going to hear at low frequency.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
@David A
I agree. Room is very important (if not the most important) part of the Hi-Fi setup. Main goal is to make the speakers work together with the room.

There are couple of room modes in my room - one of them is around 22Hz. Other important is around 73 Hz.

SAM is really good - all benefits (except depth) cannot be easily seen from measurements. Other than bass which has more depth, control and tightness, there is also some improvement in mids and even highs - dynamics, transparency... It proves the already known fact - good bass is the foundation of the good sound.

Just to be clear, the difference with and without SAM is far from "night and day", but it does it's little magic.

Offtopic
BTW, good dual subs (when properly integrated!) are even better than SAM Smile

(FR is following the House / Harman target curve)

[Image: SVS-SB16-Left-Right-Music-2.jpg]
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

(29-Jul-2020, 21:23)Delija Wrote: @David A
I agree. Room is very important (if not the most important) part of the Hi-Fi setup. Main goal is to make the speakers work together with the room.

There are couple of room modes in my room - one of them is around 22Hz. Other important is around 73 Hz.

SAM is really good - all benefits (except depth) cannot be easily seen from measurements. Other than bass which has more depth, control and tightness, there is also some improvement in mids and even highs - dynamics, transparency... It proves the already known fact - good bass is the foundation of the good sound.

Just to be clear, the difference with and without SAM is far from "night and day", but it does it's little magic.

Offtopic
BTW, good dual subs (when properly integrated!) are even better than SAM Smile
I don´t have any device to do measurements, and i don´t know if i want it.
Based on my ears and senses I never noticed the SAM´s influence, neither in this room nor in the room of my ex home, very different from this one.
Maybe i need to test it with a very different positioning of speakers, just to feel the influence, because, for me, they´re sounding fine.