Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some sign of Expert line
Re the comments above by @Mohmm and @mdconnelly :

It's now 5 years since Devialet gave us the CI board. I bought my 130 Pro prior to the release of the board when they were advertising the board as a free upgrade for Expert Pro purchasers and promising a list of features. In that 5 years they have delivered some but not all of the features promised and they have given us 2 major features which were not promised by making the amp Roon Ready and delivering the Sweet Room room correction facility. They also have not given us any firmware updates in 2 years.

As it stands there are still a couple of features initially promised which have not been delivered, there are bugs in the software including bugs introduced with the Roon Ready and Sweet Room features which have not been fixed, there are issues with the online configurator which have existed for a long time and haven't been fixed. We had 3 years of progress following the release of the CI board and then things just stopped. Development of other products including the design and production of new products has gone on during that time. They were doing it during the first 3 years after the CI board was released and they have continued doing it since the last Expert Pro software update 2 years ago.

If we consider work on the Expert Pro range as "walking" and work on the design and production of new products as "chewing gum", they've shown us that they are capable of waking and chewing gum at the same time but they seem to have given up on walking. I have no idea why. They're still happy to advertise and sell Expert Pros and I assume they're still making them unless they've stopped making them because they've got a warehouse full of unsold Expert Pros sitting there waiting for orders.

There's a lot of annoyed owners here and elsewhere venting about the lack of attention to the Expert Pro range and the outstanding problems. If they've got a store of unsold Expert Pros they're trying to sell with their advertising then selling them is only going to get progressively harder if the amount of annoyance on public display keeps growing and it does seem to be growing.

They may not care about the annoyance. They may be busy working on a new amp range to replace the Expert Pro, one which delivers the promised but not yet delivered features that Expert Pro owners were led to expect and which also fixes the bugs they want to see fixed. I don't think that any of us current Expert Pro owners would feel positively disposed to pay for an upgrade for our Expert Pros in order to get the promised features which have not been delivered and the bugs which have not been addressed fixed in firmware which won't run on our Expert Pros. They would have to offer new features and functionality over and above what we were promised for the Expert Pro range plus a big enough improvement in performance to justify the cost of the upgrade if they wanted to get me to upgrade and I suspect a lot of other owners would feel the same.

If they don't deliver what was promised for the Expert Pro range and fix the problems with it, why would any current Expert Pro owner trust them to deliver on promises made in respect of a new range and to address software issues that may occur with that range? Trust is built on performance and their performance with the Expert Pro range has not been trustworthy. As for owners of previous model amps who have not upgraded, would they trust Devialet to deliver on promises about a new range having seen the experience of owners of Expert Pros?

One thing is obvious and that is that on one level Devialet do not listen or care about their customers. They provide extremely good service when it comes to fixing hardware faults, I've benefited from that service when my amp stopped reading SD cards, but they don't seem to care about software problems and they don't seem to care about delivering those promised features which have still not been implemented.

My bottom line: if you're happy with your amp and it's doing what you want it to do (I'm happy and my amp does what I want), then keep using it and don't hold out any expectations for anything more than what you've got. If you're not happy with your amp, especially if it's not doing everything you want, then consider looking for an amp which will do what you want and which will make you happy. If Devialet bring out a new model amp and offer upgrades then consider carefully before upgrading. If what you're paying for in the upgrade is basically nothing more than getting the rest of what was promised for the Expert Pro along with fixes for the bugs in the Expert Pro software, then those are things you should not have to pay for because those are things that Devialet owes you right now. They owe you the yet undelivered features they promised and they owe you fixes for software bugs. Those things should be delivered to all current Expert Pro owners and delivered at no cost.

Regardless of that, would I buy another Devialet amp? A bit over 5 years ago when I bought my Expert Pro it was one of a very few amps offering what it did and it was also one of the best performers in my view. Now there's a lot more amps offering the same features as the Devialet, some doing some things better than the Devialet (room correction is one area where some amps do better), and some of those amps appear to be as good or better than the Devialet in performance, and at least some of those amps don't come with the baggage of the manufacturer's failure to deliver on promises and bug fixes. Devialet would have to compete with a lot more competition on the performance and features front if I buy another amp than it did when I bought mine a bit over 5 years ago and I would definitely be inclined to choose a more trustworthy manufacturer than Devialet is proving to be.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
Hi David,
Can you mention some alternatives to Devialet?
I like Devialet’s design, small footprint, excellent sound, connectivity, but would like to see Qobuz and Tidal ready, and improved streamer on CI board.
Btw, are you satisfied with Sopra on Devialet ?
Cheers
A) Devialet Expert 220 Pro CI, Audioquest NRG-Z3 — B) Pass Labs XA 30.8, Lampizator Amber V4.0, Innuos Pulse, Dynaudio Evoke 50,  Ansuz PowerSwitch X-TC, WireWorld power cables
(21-Nov-2022, 10:34)Gerronwithit Wrote: The simple fact that you still need an SD card to do anything with the Expert range exemplifies the neglect this product has had. You can almost see collective Devialet heads being stuck in the sand at the very mention of the word “Expert”.

You can't argue about something being wrong with a product if you've actually bought it as it was.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(22-Nov-2022, 00:52)zoran_pavlovic Wrote: Hi David,
I like Devialet’s design, small footprint, excellent sound, connectivity, but would like to see Qobuz and Tidal ready, and improved streamer on CI board.
Cheers

Zoran, if you like the sound of your Dynaudio's you would be pretty disappointed with the Sopra's. The Focal tweeters are no match for Dynaudio. Not even close.
                                                    Lifetime Roon, Mac mini, int. SSD, ext. HDD, tv as monitor, key board and track pad on bean bag as remote,Devialet 200, Od'A #097, Blue jeans speaker cable,                                     
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
Cheers

Amps: I'd be looking at some of the NAD Masters Series streaming amps. I was using a NAD M3 class AB integrated for some years before getting my Devialet. Linn has a number of options as do Naim. There's other firms whose names I can't remember but one of them is associated with the guy who was intstrumental in the development of the Ki III active speaker, I think his name is Bruno Putzys. There are a lot more options now than there were 5 years ago.

Re the Sopras: I'm very happy with them. @Pim said that if you like Dynaudio then you would be pretty disappointed with the Sopras. I'd disagree. The Sopras replaced a pair of Dynaudio Contour 1.3 SE standmountres that I'd been using for 16 years and really liked. After lining with them fore years and hearing more than a few other Dynaudios in the Contour and Confidence ranges in the dealer's showroom over the years I was very familiar with the Dynnaudio sound and a larger pair of Dynaudios was on my list of speakers to listen to when I bought the Spores. They are definitely different to the Dynaudios, I think some people would say they're on  the clinical side and the Dynaudios on the warm side. That's probably true in some ways but clinical and warm are on opposite sides of neutral and I think my Soppras are a bit closer to neutral than my Contour 1.3 SEs are. I also think they make a great combination with my Devialet but so did my Dynayudios.

Like all speakers you need to listen to them before you make a decision. I'd listened to a lot of speakers before I bought the Contour 1.3 SEs, many of which I liked, but I didn't fall in love with the 1.3 SEs, I fell in lust with them. They really pressed all of my buttons in a way in which the other speakers I had listened to had not. I had the same response to the Sopra 2s when I heard them.  At that stage I'd  had my Expertt Pro for several months and had decided that I wanted to get some bigger speakers than the 1.3 SEs in order to get a bit deeper bass response. I had only auditioned about 3 or 4 other speakers and one long 2 hour listening session with the Sopras driven by an Expert Pro  was all I needed. I had a similar reaction to them as the reaction I had to my 1.3 SEs when I first heard them in the shop. I've had the Sopras since May or June 2017 and I'm as happy or even a bit happier with them now than I was when I got them and I was very happy then.

If you're looking for new speakers have a listen to the Sopras and see what you think but listen to other speakers and make up your own mind. Just because I had and like Dynaudios and like Sopras doesn't mean that everyone else who likes Dynaudios will like the Sopras. Tim like Dynaudios and obviously does not like the Sopras. Speakers are the one part of the system which I think provoke personal taste responses the most. As I said, I don't think anyone should buy speakers without listening to them first.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
(21-Nov-2022, 20:45)Mohmm Wrote:
(21-Nov-2022, 18:36)mdconnelly Wrote: @Mohmm  - I totally agree with you on sound quality and I suspect most everyone still posting here still owns their Expert Pro for that reason.  But despite that, I am disappointed in Devialet, the company.  Reasons include:

-- they made commitments to the evolution of the Expert Pro Ci products at the time of release that they never followed through on.   
-- there are bugs in the configurator - particularly for dual mono owners - that have never been resolved.
-- as previously stated, the product is dated.
-- customer communication has always been poor - whether through support or direction.

In my 7+ years of being a Devialet customer I've come to realize that software is simply not their strength.  In this day and age of rapidly changing technology, product evolution through firmware improvements dictates the length and success of a product - particularly in this price range. 

None of that, of course, speaks to sound quality which has always been exceptional.  But if I were shopping in this price range today, I don't think Devialet would make the list for the above reasons.  I'm still scratching my head as to what would which is why I still have my 440 Pro and listen quite contentedly to it every day.
I largely agree with you regarding the evolution of the CI board and the configurator (is this issue confirmed?). But then, I stopped reading the HiFi and Highend press and turn to this website only very rarely.
P.s.: can someone remind me for what CI stands in the Expert context?
CI stands for Core Infinity.
Project Eperience X Pack with Ortofon Rondo Red MC, Oppo BDP 105D, 2 x Sonos Connect, QNAP HS251+ NAS with 2 X 6TB Western Digital Red, Mac 5K 32GB running Lifetime Roon, iPad Pro 12.9" for remote control.  Etalon Ethernet Isolator, Devialet 440 Pro CI, Sonus faber Olympica ll with Isoacoustics Gaia ll feet, Auralic Taurus Mkll headphone amp.Denon AH-D5000, Sennheiser HD600 and HD800 with Cardas cable,  Van Den Hul The First Ultimate and Crystal interconnects, Furutech power cables, GSP Audio Spatia speaker cable.
South Coast England
Hi @David A
many thanks for the great answer. Highly appreciate your time. Actually, I like the sound of Dyns', but would like to try something different. A couple of friends of mine have Marten speakers, and they sound great, but if you want to purchase 3-way Marten, it is around 40.000 euros/us dollars. Way much for my love for hi-fi Smile I was thinking about some bookshelves + subs', but maybe some not big floorstander will be an easier solution. Yes, definitely will visit some hi-fi show next year and listen to some other speakers as well. As I can see here, Vivid Audio speakers are a great match with Devialet, and I'll take it into consideration as well.
regards
Zoran
A) Devialet Expert 220 Pro CI, Audioquest NRG-Z3 — B) Pass Labs XA 30.8, Lampizator Amber V4.0, Innuos Pulse, Dynaudio Evoke 50,  Ansuz PowerSwitch X-TC, WireWorld power cables
(22-Nov-2022, 05:23)Pim Wrote:
Cheers

Zoran, if you like the sound of your Dynaudio's you would be pretty disappointed with the Sopra's. The Focal tweeters are no match for Dynaudio. Not even close.

Hi Pim, 
thanks for joining the discussion. Well, I've got Evoke 50, they have a Cerotar tweeter (used in Special Forty and Confidence). Let me know which Dynaudio model you compared with Sopra 2? 
regards
Zoran
(22-Nov-2022, 21:14)zoran_pavlovic Wrote:
Cheers

Hi Pim, 
thanks for joining the discussion. Well, I've got Evoke 50, they have a Cerotar tweeter (used in Special Forty and Confidence). Let me know which Dynaudio model you compared with Sopra 2? 
regards
Zoran

Hi Zoran,

It was the Sopra 1 and Dynaudio Confidence 20. Same room, same electronics, same song. I concentrate on the voice and how natural it sounds whenever I compare.

The Confidence sounded natural although a bit dull. I suspect that was because of the overly treated room (almost the whole side walls treated with 8cm thick absorption.

The Sopras sounded bright and not natural. Not just bright as in a balance towards high frequencies, but bright as in the voice sounding clearly coming from a tweeter that couldn't produce it properly. I was a bit surprised because when my mate was looking for speakers, the two Focals that he compared with the speakers he ended up buying (Fyne audio 502SP) were the closest to the Fyne sound and beat the 3 other brands in the same price range. I believe one was the Kanto range, but I'm not sure.

I have a theory on speakers nowadays. We've come to a point where you can get quite good sound at reasonable prices. For a company to get their speakers to stand out, they tend to go for 'higher resolution'. Just because you can hear more details doesn't mean you're listening to a better representation of the original sound. I'd rather hear the chest of the singer than the saliva on their lips. Hence my love for Vivid speakers, because they seam to be able to do both.
                                                                                                                                                                            Dynaudio C1 MkII.
                                                                                                                                                                              Jim Smith's GBS.
                                                                                                                                                                        Northern NSW Australia.
(22-Nov-2022, 21:14)zoran_pavlovic Wrote:
Cheers

Hi Pim, 
regards
Zoran

Nope. S40 uses Esotar 40 - a modified version of Esotar 2. New Confidence  series uses Esotar 3. Both tweeters are much higher grade than Cerotar which is basically a modified Esotec - with addition of Hexis. Hexis is the only common part of Esotar 3 and Cerotar. Esotar 3 is the best tweeter Dynaudio had ever made. Currently, it is used only in Confidence and Heritage Special.
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7