Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Some sign of Expert line
(21-Nov-2022, 06:03)daniel.avasilichioaei Wrote: Indeed, Expert Pro has a very good sound quality.

However, if you have a configuration with 2 or more units, then the sound quality depends a lot on the interaction between the functionalities you use and the bugs in the configurator / firmware.
I suspect that for those who do not feel the need for a firmware upgrade, this interaction is not applicable.

There is another functionality that is completely missing from Expert Pro: MQA capabilities. This is a "normal" functionality nowadays. From this point of view, Devialet technology is outdated and needs an upgrade.

MQA is a busted flush. It has been on life support for years, loses millions each year with hardly any revenue, and it is only a matter of time before the owners stop putting money into it. The last thing Devialet should get involved in is MQA.
250 Pro CI; Innuos Zen Mk3; Claro dual turntable (Expert Stylus Denon + OL Aladdin Mk2); RCM Sensor2; Wilson Sabrina; OePhi speaker cables; Puritan PM156 conditioner and Ultimate cables.
(21-Nov-2022, 10:34)Gerronwithit Wrote: The simple fact that you still need an SD card to do anything with the Expert range exemplifies the neglect this product has had. You can almost see collective Devialet heads being stuck in the sand at the very mention of the word “Expert”.

I like the SD card because if set-up depends on a wireless connection, and the wireless settings are part of the set-up, you could have all sorts of problems. The SD is simple and works brilliantly, mine is the original one that came with the product when new as a D-Premier, and Apple saw sense and brought SD card readers back on the latest MacBooks.
250 Pro CI; Innuos Zen Mk3; Claro dual turntable (Expert Stylus Denon + OL Aladdin Mk2); RCM Sensor2; Wilson Sabrina; OePhi speaker cables; Puritan PM156 conditioner and Ultimate cables.
I think they should offer Web configuration with SD as the fall-back if you have network issues.
Pink Triangle Anniversary/SME IV/Hana Blue; Intel NUC + Roon ROCK; Devialet 440 Pro CI; Kudos Titan 707 using AXD; Kudos, Chord, Audioquest cables
Dublin, Ireland
Every other electrical AV gear I own, from my iPhone to my Denon AV amp, and of course including my Dione, all update over the internet. This is a legacy nonsense perpetuated by Devialet. Configuring all these products is dynamic and done over WiFi and firmware updates are automatic over the internet. Given that there has been no meaningful upgrade of this product for years, those looking to make a long term investment in high end HiFi really should not be looking seriously at the Expert.

Am perfectly happy with my Expert, I don’t fiddle around with it because I can’t as you need to extract the SD cards, but would I cough up £25,000 today for a legacy product? I don’t think so.
Devialet 1000 Pro CI, Chord Signature Reference speaker cables, B&W 803 D3 speakers

Roon lifetime licence, Tidal.
For me, the upgrade process using the SD card is something I actually enjoy in times of digitalization.
Let me compare this with making use of my legacy Dual Phono player. It always takes some steps more to go to my albums and select a record of old times, place it on my record player, put the needle on the spot and... enjoy analog music tracks.
Now, how about software updates on our Experts? I remember the times when I was waiting eagerly for the next update which was expected to further improve my listening experience with this wonderful amp. Downloading the file on the SD card, putting it into the slot and waiting for the upgrade to load was just like waiting for new music to start on my record player.
Well, there are no more upgrades coming for quite a while now but this will make it even more exiting when being able to make use of the SD card again, like listening to a new record after a long time of digital boredom  Cool
iMac Core i9, Roon lifetime, Qobuz Sublime+, OPPO BDP-103EU, Kanex Pro HDMI Audio Extractor, Dual CS 617Q, Devialet 220 PRO Core Infinity, Bowers&Wilkins 804 D2, Oppo HA2, Sennheiser HD 800S, Living Room, Enjoy Listening, Germany
(04-Nov-2022, 14:43)Vivialet Wrote: if the CI board would have reached it's full potential it would be a bad hardware design. I think it is not making full use of it's potiential because of the software.
A 400€ ifi Zen Stream is playing on a much higher level, connected to the Devialet via USB. And there are even better devices available.
For me the benefit of the CI board is that it provides a better clock to the other parts of the Devialet resulting in better SQ.

That's interesting. I have never noticed Devialet selling a CI board.  I have the 220 Pro and the SQ sounds great to me. Does this CI board make a big difference?
You're late to the party Smile
Devialet Expert 440 Pro | Dynaudio Confidence 50 | 2x SVS SB16-Ultra
Anthem MRX 720 | Dynaudio Excite X28 | Dynaudio Emit M20
LG OLED 77 CX | LG OLED 65 C7

(10-Dec-2022, 19:25)lpuncel Wrote: That's interesting. I have never noticed Devialet selling a CI board.  I have the 220 Pro and the SQ sounds great to me. Does this CI board make a big difference?

That's because they never sold the CI board. What they sold was the Expert Pro range. The CI board was part of the change when they moved from the Expert range to the Expert Pro range.

Initially, however, they started selling the Expert Pro range without the amps having the CI board, it was promised and delivered as a free upgrade to people who bought an Expert Pro in the first year of so after they started selling the Expert Pro  range as the siuccessor to the Expert range. I bought my Expert Pro in March 2017 without the CI board. The CI board was released in December 2017 with Expert Pro owners receiving a free hardware upgrade installation of the board. My amp received the free CI board replacement in February or March 2018.

Expert range owners were offered an upgrade program to have their amps upgraded to Expert Pro level. The major part of that upgrade was the replacement of one of the circuit boards in their amps with the CI board.

The reason you never noticed Devialet selling a CI board is that they never sold the board. It's only ever been available as a free hardware upgrade to early purchasers of an Expert Pro, as part of the upgrade available for owners of earlier model amps to Expert Pro status, or already installed in Expert Pro amps sold after December 2017.
Roon Nucleus+, Devilalet Expert 140 Pro CI, Focal Sopra 2, PS Audio P12, Keces P8 LPS, Uptone Audio EtherREGEN with optical fibre link to my router, Shunyata Alpha NR and Sigma NR power cables, Shunyata Sigma ethernet cables, Shunyata Alpha V2 speaker cables, Grand Prix Audio Monaco rack, RealTRAPS acoustic treatment.

Brisbane, Qld, Australia
My $0.02 today on official Devialet’s page on LinkedIn. I was the only one “complaining” meanwhile all others applauded

Attached Files Thumbnail(s)

A) Devialet Expert 220 Pro CI, Audioquest NRG-Z3 — B) Pass Labs XA 30.8, Lampizator Amber V4.0, Innuos Pulse, Dynaudio Evoke 50,  Ansuz PowerSwitch X-TC, WireWorld power cables
We should post there those having a LinkedIn account!