Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Sonore Streamers
(19-Jul-2017, 14:36)ogs Wrote: In the mean time I guess a Pi3 and a DigiOne is exiting to tinker with...

Incredible value.....

>>> 1st Place Award: Devialet, last decades most disappointing technology purchase.  <<<

Not wishing to drag the drag the new 'Roon AIR' threads too far off topic, I thought I would post this here. I notice that at least one person on this forum (@ogs) is planning to upgrade the from microRendu 1.3 to 1.4, in combination with the Mutec MC3+USB. Naturally I am curious as to if in combination with the Mutec the 1.4 upgrade provides any audible benefits. Personally, I have a vowed to avoid 'upgraditis' until details of the new Devialet 'Core Intelligence' board are known. However, the 1.3 to 1.4 upgrade is perhaps the one thing that makes sense, OK it is a little bit of extra cash, but even if you found yourself selling in 6 months time, a 1.4 microRendu is going to be easier to sell and yield a better price vs the original microRendu. So obviously we look forward to ogs' observations when his upgraded mR arrives, is anyone else planning to go for the 1.4 upgrade?
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
According to DHL tracking my 1.4 mR should be back Monday 7th in the afternoon. I will connect it immediately, but there is the question of break in... With new clocks (actually the whole main board) it may take some time..
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
250 Pro CI, MicroRendu(1.4), Mutec MC-3+USB
(05-Aug-2017, 12:40)ogs Wrote: According to DHL tracking my 1.4 mR should be back Monday 7th in the afternoon. I will connect it immediately, but there is the question of break in... With new clocks (actually the whole main board) it may take some time..

Yes, understood.  Opinions differ with respect to burn, but from what I know, clocks are the one thing that do need time to settle in and stabilise, as this is the main improvement offered by the 1.4 upgrade this is a fairly significant factor I think.  In terms of microRendu's feeding Mutecs, there was a post yesterday on Computer Audiophile from a guy who has upgraded from microRendu to ultraRendu, both used to feed a Mutec MC3+USB, extract as follows:

I was really impressed after the first connection to ultraRendu , everything that describes the other ultraRendu owners works and for the “uR(LPS-1)->mutec MC3+USB”: better definition, more resolution especially with bass etc. No doubts it`s the next level of my system now.

So taking this at face value, if you improve the feed to the Mutec, it improves what come out.  I think it will be tricky accurately discerning differences between mR 1.3 and 1.4 with a couple of weeks between hearing each one, but good luck anyway!
1000 Pro - KEF Blade - iFi Zen Stream - Mutec REF10 - MC3+USB - Pro-Ject Signature 12
Some time ago I briefly tried a small laptop with Linux and Roon Bridge - USB to Mutec. It sounded OK, but the microRendu was much better. The Mutec is good, but it doesn't compensate for lesser sources.
I do not expect to be able to detail the differences between 1.3 and 1.4. I'd need one of each for that. I will try to report on the more general change in sound if I can hear any..
Devialetless!
Roon, ROCK/Audiolense XO/Music on NAS/EtherRegen/RoPieee/USPCB/ISORegen/USPCB/Sound Devices USBPre2/Tannoy GOLD 8
And I can hear a difference! I must admit that I have connected the 1.4 mR to the Mutec with the USPCB. Compared to what I remember from the 1.3, 1.4 is clearly better. The 1.4 is much more transparent and relaxed. I am certain the USPCB contributes to this, but the 1.4 itself is better than the older 1.3 as connected to the Mutec. The mR 1.4 and the USPCB removes a veil that has bothered me for some time. And the difference to RoonAIR is now substantial.. more on that in the other thread.
Devialetless!
Curiously late, but a very pleasant soft and squishy review of the microRendu from The Absolute Sound:

http://www.theabsolutesound.com/articles...ly/?page=3

This line interested me:

Here’s a comment from a very experienced audiophile when he heard the system with the microRendu installed: “When I come here to listen, normally some things sound excellent, and some just good. Today (with the microRendu playing back an assortment of music files, some high-resolution, some CD rips), everything sounded excellent.” Isn’t that the whole point of the audiophile hobby?

OK, just rhetorical stuff, but it did make me think of my comparisons of the microRendu with the sMS-200Ultra last weekend.  With much swapping between the two units and trying different things it was clear that the sMS-200Ultra is the better of the two units.  But forgetting the direct comparisons, the microRendu was such a good listen, and I really enjoyed the combination of the mR with SOtM's tX-USBultra.  This may sound crazy, but I am actually thinking of getting the mR 1.4 upgrade just to try it with the REF10 clocked tX-USBultra.  Actually, that is truly crazy.  But I might do it anyway.
Has anyone tried ultraRendu with Devialet (having the Core Infinity board)? It would be interesting to know how well it works and sounds when compared to AIR or even sMS-200Ultra.
Bluesound Node > Matrix Audio X-SPDIF 2 > Genelec 8351B & 7360A
Devialet 1000 Pro
Bluesound Node 2i > Genelec 8330
Tampere, Finland
Just like to bring to attention the ongoing issue with SMS-200Ultra and Devialet. The issue concerns pops and clicks coming through with the music when connected to a Devialet 440 (CI) via USB. Thereby making the music essentially unlistenable. Till now no solution to the problem has been found by SOtM. Devialet have largely shifted the problem to the SOtM side by stating that they have the latest USB chips on the Core Infinity board.
SOtM sMS-200-Ultra, SOtM sPS-500, Melco N1A, Rega RP8 (Exact 2), Core Infinity D440 Pro (2 x D220 Pro), Audioquest Diamond Ethernet, USB, Audioquest Castle Rock,  Sonus Faber Olympica I.
(19-Mar-2018, 08:40)petrik Wrote: Has anyone tried ultraRendu with Devialet (having the Core Infinity board)? It would be interesting to know how well it works and sounds when compared to AIR or even sMS-200Ultra.

Yes, I have mR 1.3 and use it with my 220 Pro C/I. I like it, streaming Tidal with roon. I prefer it to roon Air over straight Ethernet although I can’t put my fingered on why I hold this preference. I think it is simply a smoother more natural sound presentation. My amp is configured with factory settings and I have had no problems with function or performance. The mR is supplied via a quality Longdog Audio linear PSU. I am probably going to upgrade to mR 1.4. I suspect that will give me just about everything an uR offers. My mR is fed by a Sonore sonicTransporter.