Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Sorted at last!
Did you compare PLC vs Ethernet?
Current: Phantom Silvers, Oppo 105D (Toslink), Raspberry Pi + Digi+, ROON
Pre-Phantom: PenAudio Rebel2, Nuforce MCH-2C5, Oppo 105D (Analog)
Yes I did, could not tell any difference.
[size=x-small]Phantom Golds, Yamaha WXC 50
(08-Mar-2016, 19:57)misterpete Wrote: Took delivery of two white Phantoms and Dialog last week and have spent days messing about with them. Had trouble with the Dialog's optical input so changed to a Phantom input with my Auralic Aries.
I was totally underwhelmed with the sound, it was weak and dropping out constantly so I bought an Apple AirPort Extreme to set up another network but that caused problems and I couldn't get it to work correctly.
My initial plan was to run the 2 Phantoms wirelessly but after all this carry on I decided to use a Gigabit switch and connect into my existing network via a home plug. I then connected the Dialog, 2 Phantoms and the Auralic to the switch and bingo! Sound is full bodied, dynamic and no drop outs.
I don't know if anyone is getting good results wirelessly but for me the wired solution is the answer. I am a bit disappointed as I wanted the flexibility of wireless, I can only hope that things improve with the next firmware update. In the meantime though, they do sound damn good!

Here just the other way around, starting out wired (my Wifi is very occupied), and had trouble ever since with the phantoms in terms of uncontrolled booming bass, soft voices, lack of musicality. Had some normal speakers and amplifier set up for comparing to the phantoms: in one song left and right where turned around (guitar part in the beginning of Hotel California, The Eagles). This triggered me if there was trouble with the fase difference between the two Phantoms. Maybe one phantom got his signal from the wire, and the other from Wifi, there is no way of checking that I know of. So playing the phantom wireless solved my problems completely. They really sound very good